Chicago, IL

Stem Magnet Academy Elementary 2

Posted March 10, 2015
I'm sorry to be leaving this review about STEM. The first year or so were wonderful. Great teachers, fun classes, the kids were excited. But I can longer recommend this school. The principal s poor leadership has the school on a downward spiral. Her manner with parents is completely unprofessional. She is often rude and dismissive. At almost every event, she makes disparaging remarks about parents. She discourages parental involvement. The curriculum is very disorganized. There are no textbooks. The kids take notes in class, but many teachers don't allow them to take notebooks home to study for tests. Test pressure is excessive, very stressful for kids. For the ISAT, students did after school test prep, Saturday test prep, and in school prep. No wonder they re scores are high! Of course, a $20,000 bonus went to the principal for that. Recess is almost nonexistent. The playground is too small for sixty children at once. Most of the time, they sit in the computer lab. Sorry, that's not recess. Kids need a chance to burn off steam. So many good teachers have left, I'm afraid there won't be anyone to do the teaching. I regret moving my child here.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 26, 2015
My daughter is in 6th grade and has been at this school since the beginning. WE LOOOOOVE this school, it is more like a family, they say it takes a village, well, you will have all of the support you need here. The parents, teachers and students all work as a team to ensure a wonderful learning environment, TWO thumbs waaaaay up!!!! p.s. I hope the highschool is in the works, I'm sure it will be equally awesome:)

Posted May 31, 2014
I feel so blessed to have my daughter attend STEM. She started with the school's first year in kindergarden. We were initially nervous because we were not sure what to expect, she is now in the 2nd grade and I know I made the best decision! She has so much exposure to diverse populations and STEM education. I can see that it is a caring and nurturing environment and she has started to grow and develop in significant ways. Thank you teachers, staff, and administrators at STEM they have taken the time to get to know all there students!

Posted May 28, 2014
This school is amazing! Caring teachers, my son is in Fifth grade and he says that he will never leave this school forever! He says that he is lucky to be in this amazing school!

Posted October 25, 2013
I really appreciate the parental involvement and the level of organization and effectiveness of the staff. My child really enjoys going there and is learning so much.

Posted October 08, 2013
As the countdown to KG started for my daughter, I was anxious about getting her info a school that would nurture and guide her natural curiosity and enthusiasm for learning and expose her to a variety of positive and educational experiences. We were so happy when she got into STEM, and as the school year is progressing I am continuously impressed and reassured by the level of dedication, passion and skill that the teachers, administrators and staff have displayed. She is excited about going, loves to talk about things she has learned, enthusiastic about homework and noticeably developing intellectually and socially as a result of going to STEM. The teachers and administrators are approachable and wonderufl with the children and there is a very strong parent involvement in the school. Thanks for all you do STEM teachers, staff, admins and parents :)

Stem Magnet Academy Elementary 4

Posted October 08, 2013
It's a great school in the city than many others, the teachers and the staff are fantastic, caring, and respectable educators. My kid is always excited to go in everyday, looking forward to learn new concepts in all subjects. Their schedules and the materials are so organized. It's well diversified population of students and staff. They have created solid relationship where they get along very well with ease.

Posted July 11, 2013
I have a child that is going to fourth grade the traveling distance is worth it. The curriculum is great and challenging. My child loves the school and has learned a great deal. Compare to private school it is better than the schools in the south side of Chicago.

Posted January 02, 2013
I am lucky to have two of my children at STEM (one in 4th and one in 2nd). My kids have attended independent private and Catholic schools in the past, and I like STEM the best by far. The emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math is what attracted us initially, and the teachers and principal are fabulous! They are energetic and take a lot of pride in the school and curriculum. I hope that when my youngest is ready to start Kindergarten, she will be able to attend STEM as well.

Posted December 06, 2012
STEM is an amazing school. They offer Science, Technology and Engineering along with the basic education curriculum. I am truly amazed of how much knowledge my daughter has acquired for a 2nd grader. There is a lack of gender and ethnic diversity of students entering STEM programs and career fields present additional challenges. Not enough young people are being educating or inspired about interest in STEM. This school is a blessing!

Stem Magnet Academy Elementary
1522 W Fillmore St, Chicago, IL  60607
Last modified Stem Magnet Academy Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stem Magnet Academy Elementary Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top