Young Magnet High School

Public | 7-12 | 2171 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 22, 2007

I am currently in 7th grade at WY. This school excells academically, but not due to the teachers. The teacher quality is basically average, however the students here excell and that is what makes WY so 'academically enriched'. The things they teach us here are a lot more difficult than at most other schools, which is great for a lot of gifted students. However, if you consider sending your child here you should think about it more carefully.The best thing about here is that it offers a variety of different classes. (Orchestra, dance, AP, Sculpture, Marine Biology, Trigonomety etc.)
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 20, 2007

My child attended the Academic Center and continued on until his sophomore year. He loved 7th and 8th grade and he was able to quickly adjust to the rigor. However, they assume that just because these kids are very bright that they know everything and are capable of making adult like decisions; and if not, 'oh well'. As mentioned before there are just a handful of teachers that will go above and beyond to help a child and even they seem a bit overwhelmed. Warning...if our child has a problem with cliques don t send them here...all the clubs are clique oriented.

Posted March 5, 2007

Young prepared my WY graduate(2004) well for college level work. My class of 2007 child also seems well prepared. The courses were challenging and offered at different skill levels. I would choose it again, However, the teachers do not impress me as particularly skilled or committed. The math and science instruction is substandard. I am satisfied with the experience my children gained at Young, esp. compared to what else is available in CPS.

Posted September 26, 2006

I attended Whitney Young from 2001-2005 and I consider the students, faculty, and staff members of my extended family. I truly feel I was part of something special whether it be setting football records, winning track and field championships, going to watch the Lady Dolphins dominate, or being in Illinois' best high school choir. The courses offered at WY are challenging and that is why being successful at WY is so fulfilling. I was allowed to grow as a person and student. I was allowed to express myself through the arts like choir and video production. Teachers and parents, not only my own but also parents of my friends, took a special interest in me and provided a network/support system that enabled me to excel. If I could do those 4 years of my life over again, I wouldn't change a thing. GO DOLPHINS!!!

Posted March 11, 2006

My daughter just gained admission, she couldn't be more thrilled. Even though she will be traveling from the far northwest side of Chicago, we all feel it's worth it! Their open house was the best of any we went to. Very organized, completely informational...& honest views from individual students. The range of classes are amazing, opportunities abound. Not to mention on cool school (& my daughter LOVES the bridges!)

Posted November 1, 2005

Whitney young is an excellent school all around! The Diversity, location, academics and clubs/sports make this one great school!

Posted July 10, 2005

I'm an incoming senior at Whitney Young, and I can say that WY is truly one of the best high schools a student can attend. There's a large variety of regular, honors, and AP classes, and most of the teachers are great. They really get involved in your learning, and care about the student as a person. The school has also implemented a new system called Edline, where teachers can post a student's grades online, and send out messages to students and parents. Its very useful for parents to keep up to date on what's happening in their child's classes. The extracurriculars are amazing. I've played sports every year I've attended WY, and the experience is unforgettable. The coaches are supportive, and team friendships are lasting. There's also a large variety of organizations to participate in. The student body is also incredibly diverse. WY's just a great school overall.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 4, 2005

I am not a parent but a former student of Whitney Young, I was reading another student's review and it bothered me. At Whitney Young, you do not have to belong to a clique to survive. I wasn't a part of any type of clique and I did fairly well. Besides this, the interactions amongst students and faculty is great. Many times, I have discussed issues that I have had in class and my parents were always informed of my performance in classes. There were times where I did fall behind but with the faculty's help, I made it and I made it strong. Whitney Young is a very caring institution.

Posted December 1, 2004

As a new parent of two boys, one 7th and one 9th, I am overwhelmed with Whitney. Having said that, I wouldn't have my boys at any other school. Why? Whitney is a reflection of real life. It's not always fair. It's an opportunity to prepare your child for future battles. Contrary to what some other parents have written, I find the parental contact superior to most schools. Edline is the bomb! I feel sorry for my children. I check it every week. It helps me keep them on track. My favorite line...'Is Edline going to make me smile, or should we cancel Christmas now?'

Posted November 12, 2004

As a problematic student going through the maturity phase of my life, I can say that my mother's wisdom was way beyond her. My attending Whitney Young not only prepared me for college, but life after college. Yes there are cliques you have to deal with, but tell me where in life you do not have to deal with that. Yes, they expect more, but why shouldn't you expect the best from the best? I can't relate to the non-contacting of parents when you fall behind. In fact, they contact my mom a little 'too much', but it helped me get to where I am today. I mean I learned how to golf before it was 'fashionable' to golf. I learned archery and most importantly, I learned to believe in the greatness that I already possess and utilize that for the advancement of society as a whole! Go Whitney Young!

Posted September 30, 2004

I absolutely loved my time at whitney young. I went there from 1988-1994. I came in through the academic center and continued through high shool. It's the best high school in the city.

Posted August 16, 2004

I've finally graduated from Whitney Young in 2004. My mother's recently informed me that while my sister was a freshman at WY she spoke with a math teacher who said in order to survive at Whitney Young you have to belong in a clique. This is unfotunately true. The support among classmates, staff and social services, for those of us who fell between the cracks, was not very available. So many of the students are snooty and impatient with others who learn/adjust at different paces. The deadlines for many assignments considering the proportions are rediculous. While at Whitney Young I met the principal senior year--my first time. She just said, 'Your grades are way to low to be a Whitney Young student.' Some good things about the school are the handful of genuinely conscerned teachers, the diversity of students and courses--including languages, social studies and electives, facilities, some teaching approaches and safety.

Posted July 23, 2004

In the event that a student falls behind, the parent is not notified. Because all of the students attending Young are so bright, the 'above average' but not extremely accelerated can slip by. My daughter was failing chemistry and I was never notified. This school is only good for the very independent and goal-oriented student. It is too easy for all other students to slip by. The school was very large and not personal enough for my liking. My daughter only met the principal three times in four years. Parents must be proactive if they have a student at Young.

Posted September 11, 2003

Good choice among both public and private options. Great urban location! Great cross section of student racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds. Students of all abilities can meet their potential. Broad range of course and extracurricular options. Confident, prepared and results oriented teachers. Strong supportive parent groups.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students99%
Male98%
Black95%
Low income97%
Students without disabilities99%

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students99%
Female98%
Hispanic93%
Low income97%
Students without disabilities99%

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Students98%

Students without disabilities95%

Asian 18% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options