Agassiz Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 429 students

Posted September 17, 2009

We are so grateful for Agassiz and the awesome staff. We had our 1st grader in a test into school, and found that the staff and Principle were very disorganized, unresponsive to our concerns and questions as a new family, and only focused on homework homework homework. In an afternoon, the staff at Agassiz returned our call, and our child is now set up in the lovely 1st/2nd grade classroom. Her needs will be met, I'm sure of it, and we know that this school honors and respects children and parents. So grateful.

Posted September 16, 2009

The school has a great environment. Teachers/staff and parents that all really care about the school and are really involved to make it a better place.

Posted March 27, 2009

I recommend Agassiz for the early grades (PK-5). Mira Weber, the principal for almost 2 years now, was formerly a teacher here, and the students like and respect her. She is doing a good job of involving neighborhood parents in activities and fund-raising. My child loves to read and enjoys math. The level of homework is appropriate - you don't spend every moment after school and work doing busy work or burning out on difficult assignments. Agassiz is especially strong at live performances. Parents and staff are working on getting a choir together, too. Hopefully band will follow. The student population is changing - this year's kindergarten and pre-k is much less diverse than the other grades. I suspect this is due to the recent recession. This causes some tension, but I am hopeful that parents will continue to work together as they have in the past.

Posted March 16, 2009

My daughter is in the tuition based prek and truly loves her teacher and friends at school! It really puts my mind at ease, because I'm a working mom, that she is happy and with a teacher that cares and support hers. She loves going every day and has learned so much. Agassiz's principal is innovative and a wonderful leader as well. We plan on sending our second daughter there and are thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful school!!

Posted March 13, 2009

Agassiz School is a supportive and nurturing environment that promotes student learning in a variety of ways.

Posted March 9, 2009

I love the school. It's got a great principal, great teachers, great parent community, and it's getting better each year.

Posted February 5, 2009

excellent school! I am very pleased with my children's progress. I have a son in the pre k program with Mrs. Mahramas, and a daughter in Mrs. Pirillis's first grade class. They love school, which is so important in my opinion for a lifetime educational career. Thanks Agassiz!

Posted September 3, 2007

My daughter has attended Agassiz since 2nd grade,she is now in 8th. Last year was a difficult year for her. I'd planned to transfer her out, but changed my mind. One reason I didn't is because Mrs. Negron who left a few years back(asst. principal) has returned. I think she will be helpful in solving disciplinary problems that occur between girls a lot more effectively than they were handled in her absence. However, even though there were problems last year,Agassiz is a good school and I think this will be a good year. Also my grandaughter came to Agassiz last year from a school with a #1 rating and made the honor roll by the end of her first year at Agassiz!

Posted July 20, 2007

My daughter has been with Agassiz since Kindergarten. This is going to be her last year and I am sadden that she will be leaving such an impressive school. The teachers really make a difference. They explain things to their students in a way they understand, they are always so helpful and they really make the students feel like they are the most important student. They build confidence not only in the students ability to learn but in themselves. I will miss this school when my daughter graduates but I know she will have a better start into high school because of the wonderful people Agassiz has!

Posted July 19, 2007

Agassiz was the answer to my prayers. The teachers are all so caring. They really enjoy teaching and are sure to give the appropriate attention to each child. The classrooms are smaller than most schools. My son has had learning difficulties in another school in which he just became a statistic and his needs were never met. Since the first year here he has had more help than I have ever imagined. They also have such a wonderful way of teaching. The teachers use the arts to bring out the best of each student. I can not say enough about such a wonderful school. Very diversified school and you will notice that as soon you walk in the front entrance.

Posted August 21, 2006

Agassiz school is one of the true brightspots in CPS, as the atmosphere is one of unity and the teaching styles are geared to giving every individual student a chance to progress at a high level. It all starts with the amazing Mrs. Butler, she is the principal who, in coordination with her staff and faculty, as well as parental support, brings an amazing sense of diversity to the school. There are so many wonderful things occurring at Agassiz. My Daughter is a Straight A student at Agassiz who dances, acts, participates in Spelling and Geography Bees as well as Math Counts as well. The after-school programs are amazing and my daughter has had the pleasure of being in one of the best dance classes out there....and this includes others where we pay for private instruction. As she enters 4th grade, all I can say is 'Thank You Agassiz'!

Posted January 11, 2006

I have 2 boys at agassiz school. One is in 3rd grade and the other is in the fifth grade. I have to say I don't know if I will ever be able to feel so at home at another school.Mrs.Butler the principal there is just amazing she is always so accessesible and works so hard at making agassiz a top notch school. Mrs.Butler has no tolerance for misconduct which is great for our kids also she is forever trying to find ways to improve our school but most importantly she is so down to earth and so easy to get along with and she is very well rounded. Furthermore Agassiz has an amazing staff of teachers that go above and beyond their duty,not to mention all of the great extracurricular activities,academics, their love for the arts and last but not least their special ed program. Love you Agassiz!

Posted October 9, 2005

I was very happy with the diversity at this school, and the teachers were very committed. I was there for 2 years and was pleased with the environment.

Posted December 6, 2004

I travel across town to bring my children to this school. The staff and parents are amazing if your child has difficulty learning the conventional way this is the school for you.

Posted March 14, 2004

Agassiz School is by far one of the best in the city. I attend Agassiz and couldn't be a happier student. Homework is always a challenge and the teachers always make sure that we understand it. I will be graduating this year, and the staff here has made me more than prepared!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 26, 2003

My granddaughter attended first grade at Agassiz. We had an opportunity to visit the school last year on two occasions. We met the principal and our granddaughters teacher, Miss Weber and toured the school. We were very impressed as we talked with these people. They were very open and inviting us to see their school and partake in the activities there. We attended their International Days and were impressed with the warm and friendly attmosphere. We discussed with them our concerns that our granddaughter be challenged as we believe she is a very bright child. She was encouraged to take foreign language and also participated in the school spelling bee. She has done quite well at this school and looks forward to another year there. One of the things we liked is the diversity in the school. There is a good mix of many nationalities which we think is very important. We heard from our daughter that they had family reading nights where parents were encouraged to come in and read with their children. This summer our granddaughter visited with us in Seattle Wa. While here she received a card from her teacher thanking her for the wonderful year. Our granddaughter means the world to us and I am very grateful to Agassiz school for all they have done for her.

Posted July 21, 2003

Agassiz school is very challanging. My son and my neice are now attending agassiz school and they come home with work i don't think i was doing when i was in 3rd and 4th grades. I love agassiz i love the teachers they are firm. Next year my daughter will be attending agassiz without a doubt..

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students69%

Not low income83%
Students with disabilities (IEP)20%
Students without disabilities90%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students80%

Black58%
Hispanic90%
Low income71%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

• Mrs. Doris Negron-Wilks

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2851 North Seminary Avenue