Posted August 27, 2014
Agassiz is a fantastic school! The teachers are great, kind, and demand high quality work from the students. The principal, Mira Weber, is continuously striving to improve the curriculum and the students' experience at Agassiz. There's a lot of school spirit and positivity flowing through this school. I have two children who attend Agassiz and could not be more thrilled with our experience. Thank you!

Posted July 03, 2014
My daughter is a student at Agassiz. She loves it and is thriving there. The teachers are outstanding. The sense of community at Agassiz is strong - there is a warm, relaxed atmosphere there which is reflected by the staff and students, the dedicated arts, language and phys ed. teachers (and in particular the drama/dance teacher, who is phenomenal), in the art-lined hallways and by the attentive office staff and administration. We love that it's a smaller school, that educational rigor is strong and creative, that the parents are welcoming and get to know one another. It's a safe, respectful, welcoming space (no fights or safety concerns observed) and pretty diverse environment (broadly diverse - including economic, family makeup, etc.). Parental involvement is good, and I and my spouse both volunteer to contribute our part. The LSC and Friends-Of group are active and strong. We drive 30 mins. each way from home, by choice, to get to this fantastic school and be part of its community. We have no regrets about choosing Agassiz for our daughter's education, and look forward to being part of its continued success.

Posted April 18, 2014
Agassiz Elementary, the staff at this school are outstanding, I can not say enough good things. We had to leave our Parochial school two years ago due to low enrollment and luckily were accepted to Agassiz. If you are looking for a small school with the small town feel, you have found your place. The education and the attention these children receive is unheard of in most CPS.

Posted April 17, 2014
My daughter is in 6th grade. She writes very well, is a voracious reader, and does well in math. All this while she participates in the after school dance program and the school musical. She also takes piano and voice outside the school. When they say schools are failing kids, I don't know what they mean. She is thriving at Agassiz. From the moment her Dad and I visited the school, I have been happy with what they can do with the kids. Even the autistic kids are able to get on stage and perform something meaningful. The administration is vigilent about behavior and discipline. Even entering and leaving school is orderly.

Posted April 08, 2014
Agassiz has been a wonderful neighborhood school for our child who is in Kindergarten. It's truly a hidden gem in CPS. The parent involvement is fantastic. The principle and teachers are professional, supportive and commitment to see all the students shine at Agassiz. We have been very happy with the school and teachers. Highlights include small class size, excellent Arabic foreign language classes, rigorous academic standards, after-school programs and as our neighborhood school we cherish the opportunity to walk our child to school every day.

Posted January 28, 2014
Excellent school with fine teachers and administrative staff. Principal is professional and not too chatty; that shows she wants to get her job done and not waste too much precious time on unimportant "chatty" issues. Parents should all appreciate that quality.

Agassiz Elementary School 1

Posted January 26, 2014
I was very unhappy with the administration of this school. I felt the principal was very unprofessional when she was faced with a problem. I couldn't be in a school with a principal like this and transferred out. I didn't realize how bad the school was until I went somewhere else and my son and I were treated well and with respect. However, I do want to say that the teachers there are very good so if you attend, and don't have any issues where the principal could be involved, you'll probably be fine.

Posted October 24, 2013
My grandson attends Agassiz, and while it is one half hour to 45 minute commute, his parents feel the drive is well worth it. The class size is small enough to give individuals the attention he/she might need, yet large enough for a very diversified class. I was amazed at the homework he had as a kindergartner, but it has laid a very strong foundation for him. He now has the discipline to be successful in his educational path.

Posted August 02, 2013
We have been thrilled with our experience at Agassiz Elementary! The teachers are wonderful, the students are engaged and happy, and the focus on the Arts and languages is fantastic for our inquisitive 6-yr-old. The staff and parent organizations are truly exceptional; can't say enough about Agassiz!

Posted May 16, 2013
This school is wonderful! It was great seeing all of the students cheering Agassiz's name today as they celebrated it's 100 year birthday. The staff are kind and very dedicated, administration is very helpful, and the parents are very involved. There are a wide range of in school and after school clubs that students can be a part of.

Agassiz Elementary School
2851 North Seminary Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Agassiz Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Agassiz Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top