Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

Agassiz does homework right. After all, there's no reason to spend hours of time on homework and take the enjoyment out of learning.

The teachers, the curriculum, the sense of community: So many aspects of Agassiz make my family feel like we have won the CPS lottery. Our son is going to be a second grader and our first year at Agassiz was great. Will our neighborhood school served us well, we we're looking for a school that we could get involved with and connect with other families. Agassiz is exactly that. The student body is diverse and is made up of kids from all different neighborhoods. The teachers have been personable, partners in education. You'll find kids learning art, dance, drama, science and Arabic on any given day. A+ for Agassiz.

I have all good things to say about Agassiz. This is going to be our second year (my son will be in 1st grade). My son had a great kindergarten experience last year. He absolutely loved his teacher. Parents and staff are very involved and they all are working together. The principal is a good listener and a problem solver. Her kids are going to Agassiz as well. So she tries extra hard. Agassiz is a great school and it is a FACT that the kids' grades are improving every year!

My wife and I moved to this neighborhood for this school and we couldn't be happier with our son's experience. The teachers are passionate and committed and the administration is responsive to student and parent concerns. We look forward to our daughter being here next year. Go Bulldogs!

This is my 4th year at Agassiz. My oldest is going into 3rd and my youngest is going into 1st. We were very lucky with the lottery process the year that my oldest applied and we ended up getting into an options program Disney and LaSalle II. I toured all of these schools and my husband and I chose Agassiz in the end because we loved the feel of the school and because my brother, who is a CPS administrator, told me how solid Ms. Weber (the principal) was and how respected she was by her teachers. I also loved the size and diversity of the school. Four years in and I am even more confident I made the right choice for my kids. All of the teachers my children have had have exceeded my expectations. Most (3/4) have been nationally board certified teachers. All have been dedicated and caring. My kids come home excited about what they are learning and are challenged each day at school. As happy as my children are at school, I also have objective measures about the gains they are making. My oldest has been reading at least a grade level ahead since kindergarten and her NWEA scores have far exceeded her growth projection, this year in reading her projection was 6 and she increased 18. Her teachers and their use of differentiated instruction are the reasons she continues to excel in a class of many diverse learners. I am so happy that we have found such a wonderful school for our family and that neighborhood interest in the school continues to increase. Also, I urge parents considering Agassiz to make sure they take all aspects of the school population into account when comparing test scores. Comparing our school to neighboring schools with much lower diverse learner percentages is not a just comparison and discounts the amazing things happening at Agassiz.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

It all depends on who you get. There are some great teachers but it not because of a great school it is just who they are as a person.

Develops character: Disagree

Students are not met where they are and supported to achieve what they are capable of.

This school is very average to below average if you look at that other schools within this network and in the neighborhood. It is NOT attracting neighborhood kids. The test scores are dropping and the low income is rising. Kids come to this school from all over the city and therefore cliqs have been formed. The principal is only involved with the parents she feels are worthy of her attention and their kids don't need that much help. If you have a conflict of style or you have an issue, she will listen but not change a thing. She rarely returns messages unless you get nasty. There are kids that are favored. This school does not have a solid social emotional foundation that meets all kids where they are at makes them feel special for achieving what they are capable of. There is no supportive structure to help kids navigate feelings and conflict which there are many with so many kids from low income families and or have learning disabilities. The teachers after the first few grade levels are frazzled and burnt out. The same kids get recognized and supported especially if you are in with the principal. If you have a child that is average or below average academically or socially, they will not feel special here. Most parents don't realize this until about 2nd or 3rd grade where huge turnover happens.

This is our 7th year at the school and we currently have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader. Agassiz is a well-rounded school that attends to the social-emotional needs much more than many CPS schools. In addition, students receive instruction in foreign language, dance, drama, and music throughout the school year. Our children are thriving and LOVE school, which is what is most important to us as parents. They are learning and excelling in math and reading, but their love for learning, compassion for others, open-minded and positive attitudes, ability to persevere, and opportunities to take risks (get on the stage for the all-school dance show, for example) are helping them develop and blossom in ways beyond just traditional academic growth. I am proud that they are developing into well-rounded confident citizens and that they go to school in such a supportive environment. Certainly all schools have room for improvement here and there, but as a CPS teacher and former CPS central office employee, I know that Agassiz is a special and unique place. There is a sense of community and many annual rituals that bring the students, staff, and parents together to raise money and celebrate all that Agassiz has to offer.

School is overrated and the parents drink the cool aid beacuse most of the families have few other options. The test scores are declining and the school doesnt aim high enough. Many of the teachers are not proactive enough and do just enough to get the kids through the year. Not many 8th grade graduates are accepted into many if the selective high schools, college graduate numbers are pitiful.

Last modified Agassiz Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.