Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Farnsworth Elementary School 5

Posted April 05, 2016
I have to say, moving to Chicago from the burbs was scary but necessary for our business and I dreaded the thought of putting my son in CPS. After having my son in a private school we had to go with a public school option after my son was diagnosed with Sensory Disorder. The private school system insisted that there was nothing more that they could do for him and that public schools would have more services available to help him cope and manage his issues. So far I am impressed!! I have a team of staff that are available to meet with me so we can all figure out how to best help my son learn and succeed. They are all so involved and committed to making things work for my son. I have to stress that this is a point of view coming from a mother dealing with a child of special needs. I now feel bad for ever thinking that we were doomed in CPS but now I'm proud to say my son goes to Farnsworth! By the way, Mrs. Ryan (kindergarten) has been there a long time and is an amazing teacher!! She has great parent teacher communication skills and keeps me informed. I've met a lot of the staff there and love them all! Great School indeed!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 05, 2016
Thank you to Mrs. Ryan, my sons kindergarten teacher. Bless her heart, she tries her best to help my son in the mists of his frustrations. He loves her and is always looking forward to seeing her the next day. he even misses her from that short time that shes away for lunch.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 05, 2016
They are very effective, I see how the rest of the students behave and how well they are doing across the board and that translates to teachers getting the point accross.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 05, 2016
It's just right, he's in kindergarten so you shouldn't have mounds of it like we did in the private school. Kids still need time to be kids

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted April 05, 2016
Yes, so far nobody has given up on my very difficult son. We are all determined to get him straight and he sees how determined we are and so he now recognize that trait.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted April 05, 2016
Yes, I've seen it played out in class with my sons teacher and other students

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 05, 2016
Yes, they remind students to care for one another and to be aware of another's feelings

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 05, 2016
Yes, I believe that at least in my sons class the teacher encourages students to do the right thing, teaches respect, responsibility and accountability..bravo!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 29, 2015
I have a child in 7th grade who has attended in PreK. The PreK program prepares student for the rigors of "the new learning standards," while in an environment of play and creativity. I would put our upper grade core against any in the city, Magnet and IB included, as far as rigor and competency.

Farnsworth Elementary School 5

Posted September 29, 2015
Farnsworth is a hidden gem! CPS gets excessive bad press, but this school is doing it right, and putting their students first! City wide winner of Battle of the Books, After school Algebra with ALL students passing, most with high pass. As of this year, has an after care program. Great things have been happening, and more and more happen every day.

5414 North Linder Ave, Chicago, IL  60630
Last modified Farnsworth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.