Bad
Good

Gravy school help my autistic daughter achieve so much she was unable to socialize they made sure she made friends. She was not goid at math they got her mainstreamed in not only math but all her classes. They provided her with all the help and nurturing one could ever hope for in a chicago school. They helped her to succeed and gave input on high school and guidance. I have only great things to say about the school I was unsure in the beginning but was sad to have her leave in the end. The clubs were fun for all the children the field trips were all educational and the eighth grade trip to DC was a wonderful grown up experience for my daughter. I was sceptical about sending her with her issues but she loved it and did so well. She felt very comfortable there and was on the honor roll every year from third grade til graduation. We will miss Garvy and all it's fine teachers any student would be lucky to call Garvy their home school.

Garvy is a great school that does not get the accolades it deserves. The teachers are involved and care for their students. The administration is top notch. There is a small but dedicated group of parent volunteers. This would be my only concern is the need for more parental involvement.

I have 2 boys at Garvy age 11 and 12 who have been there since primary. Garvy is like a 2nd family to them. The teachers and principal look after them like thier own.Great PTA, who work very hard to support the kids with fundraising. Both have made steady improvements acedemically. Zero tolerance for bulling. I appreciate the multicultural enviornment. Good extra curicular and sports programs. My boys have participated in drama, basketball, soccer and book club which has definitely enriched thier experience. Awesome new backyard, with playground, soccer turf, and basketball hoops! Kudos to Mrs Mc Glade, principal, Ms. Ress (5th grade LA), Mr. Joseph (drama) and Coach Kelly (Soccer). Glad to see Garvy's rating go up from 7 to 8 this year, it definitely deserves it!

My child has gone to this school for 6 years until i decided that I did not want him to be in this environment. I think i waited to long. The teachers don't make any special relationships with their students and do not do anything about bullying, NOTHING. My child was bullied, he kept telling the teachers but they didnt do anything. They would just nod and wouldn't say anything to the bully. When my child told me this i was furious. I told the principal and the teachers said that they didnt know anything about the bullying that was going on. It was ridiculous. Don't send your child here, I regret not sending my child to Oriole or any other school but Garvy.

Garvy is a terrific school. The staff is friendly and the student's teachers are very helpful and understanding. The PTA is incredibly generous. The school has many extra curricular activities that help the students get a broader education. Personally, I love Garvy! Everyone is so kind that they are like a family there. It's just such a bright school that enlightens ones spirits and provides a terrific education. I suggest Garvy because it doesn't get better than this.

John W. Garvy is a GREAT school. The principal has old fashion methods and very stress out last year. She lets out the children for recess in 30 degrees Fahrenheit when it will be winter. Winter temperatures like 30 degrees Fahrenheit is too cold for kids/students. All year round, there should be a study hall for students who need it during recess. The teacher assistants and volunteers can watch the students in study hall. Students can study better and catch up on homework too.

Garvy is my school. I love John W. Garvy. The staff is friendly and forgiving. They work hard, but no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes during their lifetime. Who is actually perfect?No one. We all need to be humble and learn from our mistakes. I had great experiences from their staff and volunteers.

I needed to move to this area and begrudgingly sent my kids to Garvy, thinking it was, at best, an average school. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great school it is! The principal is great with the kids, the teachers are pretty intelligent and caring, support staff is very friendly, and all students are really pretty fantastic! (Bullying is minimal at most.) The school hasn't gotten the best "grade" in the state but, honestly, they have really challenged my children. I don't mind if they don't focus entirely on grades because my children have a great work/life balance. Although parent participation overall is pretty low, the parents that do participate have done an A-MA-ZING job! If you're thinking of sending your children to Garvy, your children will love it! My 8-yo wants me to add "I love Garvy!"

I have 2 kids going to Garvy and we love this school. They have excellent teachers and challenging academic program, plus they still have time to always do something fun. There is always something going on at school, that makes my kids look forward to waking up in the morning and going there. We would not change in for any 10 out of 10 school.

Garvy,I thought was a good school,however,my child has ADD and is on a 504 plan and they don't accommodate him. This will be my child's last year at this school because they don't help/care unless your child is a normal straight A student.

Last modified Garvy J Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.