Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,329

Posted October 29, 2014
This school is great for many reasons. First of all the teachers prepare you for high school and help you with any problems. All the teachers are kind and very helpful.

Posted October 26, 2014
No after school programs. Kids don't wash their hands after recess which is right before lunch. Peanut butter is seved to kindergarten class at lunch

Posted August 14, 2014
This school is horrible teachers are rude and just yell at the children! I was astonished when my child told me of the way some of the teachers acted yelling at them in a class called "humanities"!!! The school is horrible don't send your child! the worst part is my child's 8th graduation was in the gym and it was so hot you could see the kids sweating and there were way to many people in there!!! I am disappointed that I sent my children here they are now in a private school which treats them better and the staff is friendly!

Posted August 11, 2014
This school needs to fire half their teacher's because they are racists!. They call when your child is out of uniform, but not when sick! they also had a bomb threat and fail to let parents know and they kept all are children in school, I am happy to take my child out!!!!!! I assumed because the area was nice school would be good,but I was wrong.

Posted May 28, 2014
they should close this school or start gutting out the staff, this school is a prison camp , you have no contact with the teachers unless you call 2 or 3 times to reach them, you cant go there unless your invited, things like bullying, fights , and other incidents get swept under the carpet. police arrested a parent at the school ,because the parent was out of control but they notified us the parent. bullying is acceptable at grey, because my granddaughter has been bullied since September and nothing has been done. the principal is a lying joke she bullies the kids and parents.

Posted February 06, 2013
This is ABSOLUTELY the WORST school experience I have ever had with any of my children! My son is a "problem child" who managed to be on the honor roll at his last school. Why, you ask? Because his other school had teachers who took the time to actually HELP him, rather than berate, yell, and discourage him. He comes home in tears half the time and begs me not to make him go back! He has a medical condition (of which they have documented PROOF from a licensed doctor) and behavior problems. I don't think yelling at him and isolating him from the class is the most productive way to encourage him to do well. He is NOT doing well, but I have only been notified through written notices, which I have not received. (Why would he give them to me? He'll get into trouble!) So, when the teachers DO NOT RECEIVE a signed notice back from me, they do NOTHING! No phone calls, no emails, NOTHING! I don't know what's going on over there, but their boss (the principal, obviously) probably would be best served by making sure her teachers are DOING THEIR JOBS! The students shouldn't be told to "shut up", etc.....they cannot learn in a hostile environment like that!

Posted September 07, 2012
the school is horrible they are gonna strike , they have 1st grade teacher, who is very rude, longer school days she gives them homework for a sixth grader, doesnt care if they have iep's or not shes worried about pay ,the principal is rude and backs up her teachers inspite of what that 1st grade teacher does and acts towards parents, this teacher dresses like a street walker yeah that something for all 1st graders to see!! she doesnt teach spelling, she basically said they will be doing more socializing so she needs to send more homework.dont send your kids there if you want them to actually learn and if they have asthma dont send them there because when its 90 outside they have to sit in the heat .maybe im gonna call my friend at channel 5 and have some one sit outside the school and watch our kids

Posted May 02, 2012
My son is in a special needs class at Gray and over the last three years he has improved immensely and his teacher in room 211 has been nothing short of spectacular. He falls on the Autism Spectrum Disorder but is learning almost on pace with his peers. He still needs verbal and visual cues but is progressing. We are very fortunate that CPS provides these services to their students. It is a shame these valuable programs are being cut and other parents in similar situation will not benefit from these programs. My son has been enrolled at three CPS Schools since he started in the early intervention program when he was two years old. He has been in school since he was three. I am writing this in praise of the teachers, therapists and aids expertise in these programs have given my son the help he needed. I wish I can name them so that all will know how hard they work for our children. I wish I could be more involved in school functions; I am giving these school 3 stars in parent involvement mostly based on my lack thereof. We are very satisfied and blessed parents.

Posted April 27, 2012
Gray is a great neighborhood school. The education you get here is top rate. Most of the teachers are amazing. The achievements my kids make every year is astounding. The curriculum is challenging but the teachers make it fun. If you want to learn more about the school before you enroll your child I would recommend going to a No Child Left Behind meeting or a LSC meeting, or visit the school to request a tour. There is virtually no bullying problem. The kids are taught from kindergarten to respect each other. I am there every day, I see happy faces going in and out of the school. The school is very active in getting grant money. Mostly used in new education technologies. There is a support staff that will pull out kids from regular class who are having trouble to work in small groups. The school has two new playgrounds, which is a great way to get to know the other parents while kids play. The administration is very firm. But that is mostly good thing. It is a neighborhood school, so they have to take in everyone in the neighborhood even some troubled families. That being said the school creates a well disciplined and safe environment. And the friends will be from the community.

Posted April 20, 2012
Very few caring teachers. The office staff have no people skills and horrible attitudes. Education wide its not the best. The school has no Kindergarten graduation, what a disappointment. I pulled daughter out ASAP. Parents are not involved enough.

Gray Elementary School
3730 North Laramie Avenue, Chicago, IL  60641
Last modified Gray Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gray Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top