Chicago, IL
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

June 4, 2010 poster - please contact me at your earliest convenience. I would love to discuss your concerns. James Gray, Principal jrgray@cps.k12.il.us
June 7, 2010

Posted March 24, 2014
My boys are now in fifth and second grade and have been at Hamilton since pre-school. We are a neighborhood family and thrilled with how the school has grown. There is a strong commitment to building a well-rounded curriculum that includes technology, fine arts and physical activity. We have one child in the gifted program, but both boys are challenged academically and love their school. For neighborhood families, I would encourage you to send your children to this wonderful neighborhood school. It is an under-apprecaited gem in the community.

Hamilton Elementary School 3

Posted March 14, 2014
The teachers are very dedicated. I do have concerns as to children with special needs and how services are being reduced and sometimes removed, when it's obvious in some cases that services shouldn't be taken away. This is happening within the school lately . I think there should be innovation to help these children thrive socially as well as academically no matter the budget. Perhaps now that the school is doing well and enrollment numbers are not an issue they prefer not to allocate money into special education resources. In the past they accepted several students with special needs that were not from the neighborhood because they were needed to help the doors stay open. Now they are no longer needed. Never the less it doesn't take away from the great teachers and initiative the school has taken to keep the students physically active.

Posted March 09, 2014
The leadership at this school is wonderful. The principal and VP are a great team and provide the teachers and parents ability to determine the sort of school we want. They do tend to the needs and self esteem of the entire child. I have a child in the accelerated program and a child in the standard program. Both children are thriving and are being stretched. I love the dance and PE everyday, both of those specials teachers are enthusiastic and engaged. Music teacher is excellent. The spirit of the school is small school and big parent involvement. The only criticism I would have is the math could be stronger, more drilling of fundamentals so they can better respond to testing environments.

Posted February 12, 2014
I have been though the CPS wringer. 3 schools in 3 years and I can say it was all so I would end up at Hamilton. Great, engaged teachers. Strong, approachable leadership. An arts program that remained strong despite severe budget cuts and PE 5 days a week. I am so grateful to be part of this school community.

Posted October 08, 2013
It's an amazing school. The curriculum, teachers, and every thing about this school is extra ordinary. My kid and I love everything about it. It is a small school but has everything it is to suppose to have.

Posted October 04, 2013
We love this school. It runs like a well oiled machine. The teachers are amazing and work really hard. They work long hours and really know the kids. The principal and assistant principal are an amazing team. They address any concerns while keeping things positive. The gifted program gets a lot of notice, but Hamilton's middle school is the best part about the school. The kids are pushed in the classroom and taught to be a part of the school community. My child really loves going to school. We feel lucky to be at Hamilton!

Posted May 16, 2013
We love Hamilton! We have one kid in and one kid entering in the fall. We TURNED DOWN DECATUR to stay here because our child is excelling in the gifted program. The teachers and principal are warm and nurturing while being challenging so the kids get as much as they can out of their educations. The after school programs are awesome - something for everyone. Parents are really invited to be as involved as they would like/can be. It's been an awesome experience so far.

Posted April 18, 2013
Under the leadership of Principal Gray and Vice-Principal Luna-Mroz, this school is going from good to great in a hurry. They are both very high energy, and have fostered a great community with excellent parent involvement. The few teachers that were marginal have been swiftly removed - showing that the school is committed to the kids as well as the teachers.

Posted February 17, 2013
My son comes home from Hamilton everyday and tells me how much he loves his school. That to me is the most important, to see my son happy. He is in their 2nd grade Gifted Classroom. I look forward to my child's continued quality education at Hamilton. This school in my opinion has far surpassed my expectations and is one of the few schools that supports the Arts and encourages Project-based learning. Thank you Hamilton!

Posted November 13, 2012
Hamilton is an incredible little school with caring teachers, supportive staff and administrators, involved parents and awesome kids. Both of my kids attend and I'm so happy to see how much they love going to school. The school now has a full-time dance teacher and several parents volunteered to build a professional dance floor. The kids love it! Honestly, we feel lucky to be a part of it.

Hamilton Elementary School
1650 West Cornelia Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Hamilton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamilton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top