Posted March 31, 2013
Under the previous principal and her administration, our school made so much progress. Student achievement was improving at every grade level. There was discipline and order in every building. The principal, Ms. Brown, had a "open door policy". She met with everyone who wanted to meet with her. Unfortunately, she retired last June, 2012, and Hamline has not been the same. The LSC picked a new principal and in my opinion, they made a BIG mistake in the person they selected. Unfortunately, my kids as well as the other students, along with the parents and our community are paying the price for their ERROR. Student achievement is going down, there is no discipline or order in the buildings. The new principal is not accessible to ANYONE, not even to her own teachers. I'm looking for a new school for my kids. They will not be at Hamline next September.

Posted February 14, 2013
New principal and vice principal dos nuthing about behavior. The same second grade student is always running wild in the building and they have no control. In the upper grades a lot of bullying and my kids tell me the kids are still in class. No one cares.

Hamline Elementary School 4

Posted December 15, 2012
Now that we have a new principal,teachers and parents are involved in many things and are treated equally.The staff takes time to listen to you.We are trying our best as parents to help out our new principal of what our ideas are. She does make time to listen to you.Very respective staff.From what I have heard, teachers are being involved in many things and heard from ideas they even have.They are happy and so are parents.We are finally working as a Community.

Posted August 13, 2012
this is what i seen and heard of by other parents . the office staff have no respect for the parents . i seen teachers fighting with parents during dismissal , at one time i seen the teacher slam the door on a parents . talking to other parents i was also told kids were being bully and even do parents complain to the vice principal she does nothing to solve the problem . i also heard stories of kids being lost more than once and in different situations . but most of what i heard parents complain about the vice principal being rude , not solving the issue . by seeing some of the post her i notice some teachers and parents also have problems with this school . I just hope the school gets better .

Hamline Elementary School 5

Posted July 22, 2012
Miss brown will be missed by the back of the yards community . Rarely does an elementary school Principle get involved on the community like Ms, Brown did, she will be truly missed the future

Posted January 24, 2012
Last year my children had wonderful teachers, I was sorry to see that so many of these teachers were let go and replaced with inexperienced teachers. I noticed that over the past few years the test scores have been increasing and my children received a quality education, however this year I am not happy with the education my children are receiving. Once again the administration has made a horrible decision and it's the children who will suffer. Also, beginning last school year the administration began having teachers change students grades to match the scores on a test that they have to take on the computer. Obviously it doesnt matter how my children do in class it only matters what they get on this test given three times a year. To me this must be illegal (grade changing) and how does this motivate any child to do their best? Once again nothing at this school is ever in the best interest of the children. It's time for the LSC to open their eyes and get new administration into this school! The sooner the better!

Posted January 11, 2012
Yesterday 1/9/12 my child who is in 1st grade and SPECIAL NEEDS was allowed to run out of the school on his own. It took me over 2 hours to find him. When i approched the Vice Principle she said " NOT MY PROBLEM! once the bell rings kids are on there own." This is a clear example of the type of adminstration that is running this school. I'm am very upset!! I am making an official report with the board and also contacting the Alderman. After speaking with other parents and staff i learned that insidents like this happend very often this in this school. I hope other parents step up and report them as well.

Hamline Elementary School 3

Posted October 28, 2011
Great teachers who go above and beyond. Well behaved kids who want to learn. Parents who want to be involved but are not allowed. Horrible administration! They are rude, manipulative, and intimidating (when they are around) They arrive late and leave early and are not accessable to parents. They take extended vacations at various times during the school year (3rd and 4th week of school) and collect huge paychecks! Administration needs to go!

Posted April 29, 2011
I went here as a child many years ago, the one thing that i did take from this school was that i had mentors not teachers, teachers are the ones who stick with course objectives and what not, all of my 'teachers' became my mentors in life. I did not like the principals at all, and the vice principals where always at arms waiting to see if the principal would ever leave. I loved all of my mentors and now i'm finishing my MA at UIC thanks to them but the schools area seems to get progressively worse and that principal has been there for too long and wont retire.

Posted March 10, 2009
My children attend this school and I am very upset that they are not able to attend another because of where we live. This school does pay attention to children in need of extra support or help! they supposedly have after school programs..which my kids attend and as of yet I have not seen an improvment. Teachers have way too many kids in class room for them to give extra attention to kids that need the most!

Hamline Elementary School
4747 S Bishop St, Chicago, IL  60609
Last modified Hamline Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamline Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top