Chicago, IL

Posted October 24, 2014
Bret Harte is a new school experience for me. I am anxious to see the progress my child makes in the special Ed pre-k program. Teachers are really nice. Teacher aides could be alil nicer and office staff is simply wonderful.

Posted August 29, 2014
We are very excited that our daughter will be starting Kindergarten at Harte this fall. I disagree with the poster below who stated that the schools in the area worth exploring are selective enrollment, private, or out of the district. We chose to send our daughter to Harte despite multiple offers to selective enrollment and magnet schools because we love walking to our great neighborhood school. Our daughter attended the wonderful pre-K program at the school for the past two years, and we couldn't have been happier with it. There is a strong administrative team that is responsive to parents' ideas and concerns. As a volunteer, I have worked with teachers at every grade level who are dedicated and knowledgeable. The pre-K and K teachers are both National Board Certified teachers and incredibly gifted and caring. There are some things to work on at Harte, but I don't think a perfect school exists in CPS-or anywhere! They are working to build stronger parental involvement and to gain more support from the community, for example. However, this neighborhood school is a hidden gem in CPS and we are so excited to be a part of it. The amazing new playground doesn't hurt either:)

Harte Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
Last year was my child's first xperience with CPS. This school came recommeneded by a friend, but I later learned from neighbors that this is not the school to put my daughter in. It's difficult being in an area where you only have a few schools to choose from and those that are worth exploring are selective enrollment, out of the district, or private. So i gave this school a chance and I personally don't feel like the teachers truly care about the students. I don't have a bad child but she struggles in math and I made the school aware of that in the beginning of the school year. Nothing was done to assist in bringing her to speed in math. There were instances where assignements were misplaced, and I was never informed that they were missing. Instead I was told that she is at the age (11) where she needs to help responsible. Are you serious? Held responsible for her own education at age 11, I was at that point done. I then found out at open house 3rd qtr mind you that the school didn't have contact information for me so nearly an entire school year went by before I found out that weekly phone blasts, and e-mails are sent out to the parents. This info was provided at registration!

Posted January 26, 2013
My son is in fifth grade at Harte. Prior to Harte, he was enrolled at St Thomas in Hyde Park for Kindergarten through second grade. The curriculum is more rigorous at Harte and the expectations for the students are higher at Harte than at St. Thomas. Like most schools, Harte has room for improvement. However, the principal and the administration are very capable, and they have the students' best interests at heart. Harte is definitely better than the typical Chicago neighborhood school.

Posted November 04, 2010
It a phenomenal learning environment that empowers children from multiple backgrounds and levels to achieve excellence in education. The teachers are fully vested and committed to the children's learning and go above and beyond to help all the children. In addition to providing an excellent curriculum, the environment encourages excellent moral compass; powerful citizenship; inclusion, compassion and other attributes that enables the children to know the difference they can make for themselves and their community. In spite of challenging economic times and severe funding cuts, the school administration continues to seek and gain options to provide a different caliper of learning enhancement thru rich afterschool programs. Although I am blessed with a excellent income, I choose to have my child attend this school for the richness that even private schools cannot match.

Posted September 03, 2010
I love the principle as well the vice principle,i like that the the school has a famliy feel to it with parents looking out for the children.But there are a couple of teachers i would love to replace but of course they cannot be replace because they have TENURE,so we get stuck with them.

Posted October 12, 2009
I love this school. Both of my kids go here and are very happy at the school. Sometimes they have to much homework but they have learned everything that has been taught to them. Bret Harte teaches the students spanish starting in preschool. Once they are in the higher grades they can speck spanish very well. They offer after school programs that go beyond the average. The school is right across the street from the Museum of Science and Industry that the go very often. The school students have been on the news many times thourgh the many programs at the museum. My kids and I love this school I only wish it last grade wasnt 6 grade.

Posted April 20, 2009
Well organized, team oriented staff with every school staff member looking out for the benefit of the student. I am proud to teach at this school and be a part of all the wonderful things happening at the school on a day to day basis.

Posted November 07, 2008

Harte Elementary School 0

Posted September 29, 2008
I think this school is just ok. It is very old and small. The teachers work well together. The principal has only been there a few years and is a little unorganized. I think the students could be learning alot more.
2 people found this helpful

Harte Elementary School
1556 East 56th Street, Chicago, IL  60637
Last modified Harte Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harte Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top