Posted September 30, 2014
I am currently a student at Hawthorne and I can certainly admit that this school has been outstanding in academics and the student's here work as hard as they can to be they're best. --Although, as a student I believe that everything has changed and I don't agree with the choices made to the school. The principal is suddenly taking away traditional events and changing everything Hawthorne once was without letting the students get a chance to decide whether if they were okay with that choice or not. To me, I'm afraid in the next two years, future students won't be able to experience what they're older brother/sister/etc did. I realize that Principal's can make however many changes to "their" school, but changing-- or taking traditional things away and not considering the students' opinions is quite unfair.

Posted September 30, 2014

Posted May 26, 2014
I'm a student and I love it at Hawthorne. Due to this schools rigorous curriculum and dedicated staff I've been lucky enough to receive offers to some of the best high schools in the state. I understand that it may not be ideal for everyone but a thing many teachers stress about our work is independence and taking initiative. To succeed at HSA you have to be comfortable talking, interacting, and stepping up. I am comfortable talking to my teachers, asking for advice, and going to them when I need it. Many parents get angry because the teachers don't hover over everyone giving them their full attention every second, but who can? With a class of 32 kids, that's a difficult expectation. Hover parents won't fly; instead prepare your child to not have their hand held all the time. Hawthorne is great preparation for highschool and the real world, I honestly couldn't be more thankful I attended.

Posted April 29, 2014
Hawthorne staff work well together to provide an excellent, A+ education to all the children in the school. I have personally experienced much aid from the special education department that I will be eternally grateful too. Unfortunatelly, I wish the school were closer, but most of the time we need to sacrifice to get the best out of life anyway.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 3

Posted August 19, 2013
Hawthorne has great academics but its the most private of all the CPS elementary schools. There is a strong lack of diversity here but otherwise, Hawthorne is a great place to be.

Posted August 13, 2013
Hawthorne is one of the better CPS schools. My son is learning much more than he ever did/could at our neighborhood school. The diverse learning environment is invaluable.

Posted August 12, 2013
Very impressed with the progress my daughter made this past year. The teachers are amazing and very committed. I am also very pleased with the energy the new principal brings.

Posted March 07, 2013
We are lucky to have such wonderful and caring teachers. Like most CPS schools right now, we are going through an adjustment to the longer day and new structure, but our supportive teachers are the backbone of this school.

Posted August 02, 2012
I have two kids currently at Hawthorne and feel it's a good school especially for a CPS school. But it's not perfect. The concerns regarding the rushed school schedule expressed in the Dec. 6 and 11, 2011 posts are valid and, I believe, felt by a number of parents. But these issues as well as others are overlooked because my kids and the school overall are performing well. Now that the school day is being lengthened, I hope these issues will be resolved and the school makes the most of the possibilities. As for the May 27, 2012 post by a teacher - I find embarrassing. The "take it or leave it" attitude is inappropriate and immature and I don't believe reflects the majority of the school staff. To the teacher who posted this review - the personal comments are unprofessional and reflect badly on you and the school you represent. If this is your attitude, perhaps you should be the one to leave as there are plenty of enthusiastic teachers who want to work at Hawthorne without the self-deserving attitude that your comments reflect.

Posted May 27, 2012
December 5 and 6, 2011 post...I can actually guess who wrote it. So now I will say it...You're negativity towards everyone and everything at our school is shining through and people are on to you and actually think you are a joke with too much time on your hands. Stop already. Now you know why no one wants to speak with you. MAYBE you could be just a little more supportive since you are getting an amazing education for FREE!!! If you are not happy here...LEAVE!!! You have no clue how many people are praying for a spot at Hawthorne!!! Our wait list is a long one...

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy
3319 North Clifton Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 75 reviews.