Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 1

Posted October 24, 2015
Hawthorne 3 yr experience. Parent's, assumed I was the nanny when waiting for my child, My child by his kindergarten teacher was referred to as an 'animal', and "hell" continued from there on. Hawthorne Academy has very few teachers /staff that aren't living in a bubble and will teach and treat every child equally. Principal and other admin /faculty will be too busy with fund raising, picture taken, and presenting this school to be a place for everyone to care what is going on with the less represented population. Bottomline. Donate $10,000 you'll likely have your voice heard & your own parking spot. Give the required you'll need to either leave or conform. A school where some "educators" & Staff are nestled in a quiet, small bubble, in both location and mind #Hawthorne is lacking the exposure needed to educate ALL students . Careful what you allow to enter your child's mind. Once it's there, it's difficult to find and erase. My child and I were poorly affected by Hawthorne Academy Chicago. There are great schools, maybe this one is great for you, but for me, for my son. This school has created HELL, pain, and many nights of tears, and anxiety. I don't wish to give bias or share anything that will hinder another from a place that may be a great fit for you, so I've omitted a few experiences, but, I must be very very honest when I say, be very careful where you place your children. Don't rely on rankings and smiling faces. Be present, listen, and advocate for your child no matter where you chose. Hawthorne Academy in Chicago Lakeview is just not the place I'd personally recommend.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 3

Posted September 05, 2015
My experience has been that my child, who recieves special education services, is being pushed through and not receiving the same level of service as other students who are without learning disabilities. I'm concerned that staff aren't trained and/or equipped to fully deliver the services required to teach students that aren't already advanced and/or at level. The overall energy at Hawthorne is one that I'll admit is positive and it's clear staff care and administration cares. I fully understand with hundreds of students it's a tough job, and I don't wish to discount those that are doing an excellent job. My goal is to give a more rounded perspective and realistic expectations prior to enrolling your child. I've found that there is a certain degree of politics at Hawthorne. Because I am a parent with a child that struggles academically, due to a learning disability, I'm eager to have the best teachers trained and seasoned to help my child learn. I know if I had more time and money my experience at Hawthorne wouldn't be as poor. Unfortunately, the issues I have with Hawthorne mirrors those experienced by many parents across CPS, that feel their child isn't being taught, or regarded as others are. Diversity plays a huge part of the issues I've experienced. Staff that have worked with all children, not just advanced and at level children is low at Hawthorne. Lacking diversity Hawthorne is culturally out of sync with some students and unable to make the connection needed to understand how to teach my child. As I stated earlier, my experience is my own, I don't look to make this a negative post, or devalue the efforts of Hawthorne staff, but I do need to highlight that they're are children being passed through, because staff at Hawthorne aren't capable to teach them. Hawthorne is great for students that don't require special services. My experience is that my child is being passed through,learning very little and is in turn feeling hurt. I'm connected to what goes on with my child and communicate often with staff assigned to my child as well as administrators at Hawthorne. I'd just caution that if you can afford a private school, or you can find a school that specializes in special education seek out those schools.

Posted April 09, 2015
realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly good school a great safe environment teachers help you guide you throught hardships like if your having problems to understand they can help you

Posted February 06, 2015
My daughter is in kindergarten at Hawthorne and we have been so pleased thus far. Her teacher is dedicated, responsive, and clearly up to date on best practices in education. The administration is very accessible (they chose to convert their offices into a conference room since they're not in the office ever) and really care about the success of each child. My daughter is an advanced learner and they have worked to challenge and meet her individual needs. We grappled with sending her to Hawthorne or a gifted program and are so happy that we chose the more well-rounded setting that will allow for both of our children to be at one school as well. The community of families is also very kind, welcoming, and accepting of the very diverse backgrounds of those that attend the school. As with any CPS school there is a focus on test scores, but that is to be expected - and I find it a testament to the education that Hawthorne does so well on the test with kids from all socioeconomic tiers and backgrounds. It's really a special place and we feel lucky to have gotten in.

Posted November 21, 2014
Hawthorne is in great shape in a difficult environment for public schools and I credit the combined efforts of the current principal, staff, faculty, and families at the school. I see kids collaborate in small groups and approach problems from different perspectives. I see good relationships and talented people forming a powerful community with high standards and active fund raising. I saw an awesome dads [and a mom] band last night at Schubas. And every year I see well-prepared children graduate and move on to top high schools. We are very fortunate to be at this outstanding school. Keep it up Pietrini.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 3

Posted November 13, 2014
Hawthorne was a very unique and special school before we hired our current principal 2+ years ago...Mr. Pietrini. Sadly, as new families enroll each new school year they will never experience how amazing this school was before Pietrini. They will never understand how amazing it should & could be with the right person leading. Before Pietrini, we had a school environment that welcomed parents always and encouraged them to volunteer in whatever capacity they wished. We had an amazing Principal, Anna Alvarado and Vice Principle. They led with kindness, intelligence and respect. Always displaying trust & pride in their students and in return they received the same. Mrs. Alvarado knew each student by name and she made them her priority. Mr Pietrini is all about control, dictatorship, making unnecessary rules, locking the doors, withholding information, keeping parents away, patting himself on the back...and TEST SCORES. The past two years more than half of our teaching staff have left and many, many families have pulled their kids out as well. It's hard to watch what is happening to our school. I wish CPS would get involved because the parents are too scared to speak up.

Posted September 30, 2014
I am currently a student at Hawthorne and I can certainly admit that this school has been outstanding in academics and the student's here work as hard as they can to be they're best. --Although, as a student I believe that everything has changed and I don't agree with the choices made to the school. The principal is suddenly taking away traditional events and changing everything Hawthorne once was without letting the students get a chance to decide whether if they were okay with that choice or not. To me, I'm afraid in the next two years, future students won't be able to experience what they're older brother/sister/etc did. I realize that Principal's can make however many changes to "their" school, but changing-- or taking traditional things away and not considering the students' opinions is quite unfair.

Posted September 30, 2014

Posted May 26, 2014
I'm a student and I love it at Hawthorne. Due to this schools rigorous curriculum and dedicated staff I've been lucky enough to receive offers to some of the best high schools in the state. I understand that it may not be ideal for everyone but a thing many teachers stress about our work is independence and taking initiative. To succeed at HSA you have to be comfortable talking, interacting, and stepping up. I am comfortable talking to my teachers, asking for advice, and going to them when I need it. Many parents get angry because the teachers don't hover over everyone giving them their full attention every second, but who can? With a class of 32 kids, that's a difficult expectation. Hover parents won't fly; instead prepare your child to not have their hand held all the time. Hawthorne is great preparation for highschool and the real world, I honestly couldn't be more thankful I attended.

Posted April 29, 2014
Hawthorne staff work well together to provide an excellent, A+ education to all the children in the school. I have personally experienced much aid from the special education department that I will be eternally grateful too. Unfortunatelly, I wish the school were closer, but most of the time we need to sacrifice to get the best out of life anyway.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy
3319 North Clifton Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 92 reviews. Top