Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

They all have very strong leaders at this school!

Develops character: Strongly agree

They instill these qualities in us, as they teach us throughout the years

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers here are committed teachers that will go to great lengths to make sure that their students succeed

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

they assign lots of homework! but you get to know the topic well!

The teachers here are amazing and the kids are really nice! best school that I have even been to!

Amazing administration, parents, children and staff. Business-like, strategic organization, while very warm and caring. Love it!

Hawthorne 3 yr experience. Parent's, assumed I was the nanny when waiting for my child, My child by his kindergarten teacher was referred to as an 'animal', and "hell" continued from there on. Hawthorne Academy has very few teachers /staff that aren't living in a bubble and will teach and treat every child equally. Principal and other admin /faculty will be too busy with fund raising, picture taken, and presenting this school to be a place for everyone to care what is going on with the less represented population. Bottomline. Donate $10,000 you'll likely have your voice heard & your own parking spot. Give the required you'll need to either leave or conform. A school where some "educators" & Staff are nestled in a quiet, small bubble, in both location and mind #Hawthorne is lacking the exposure needed to educate ALL students . Careful what you allow to enter your child's mind. Once it's there, it's difficult to find and erase. My child and I were poorly affected by Hawthorne Academy Chicago. There are great schools, maybe this one is great for you, but for me, for my son. This school has created HELL, pain, and many nights of tears, and anxiety. I don't wish to give bias or share anything that will hinder another from a place that may be a great fit for you, so I've omitted a few experiences, but, I must be very very honest when I say, be very careful where you place your children. Don't rely on rankings and smiling faces. Be present, listen, and advocate for your child no matter where you chose. Hawthorne Academy in Chicago Lakeview is just not the place I'd personally recommend.

My experience has been that my child, who recieves special education services, is being pushed through and not receiving the same level of service as other students who are without learning disabilities. I'm concerned that staff aren't trained and/or equipped to fully deliver the services required to teach students that aren't already advanced and/or at level. The overall energy at Hawthorne is one that I'll admit is positive and it's clear staff care and administration cares. I fully understand with hundreds of students it's a tough job, and I don't wish to discount those that are doing an excellent job. My goal is to give a more rounded perspective and realistic expectations prior to enrolling your child. I've found that there is a certain degree of politics at Hawthorne. Because I am a parent with a child that struggles academically, due to a learning disability, I'm eager to have the best teachers trained and seasoned to help my child learn. I know if I had more time and money my experience at Hawthorne wouldn't be as poor. Unfortunately, the issues I have with Hawthorne mirrors those experienced by many parents across CPS, that feel their child isn't being taught, or regarded as others are. Diversity plays a huge part of the issues I've experienced. Staff that have worked with all children, not just advanced and at level children is low at Hawthorne. Lacking diversity Hawthorne is culturally out of sync with some students and unable to make the connection needed to understand how to teach my child. As I stated earlier, my experience is my own, I don't look to make this a negative post, or devalue the efforts of Hawthorne staff, but I do need to highlight that they're are children being passed through, because staff at Hawthorne aren't capable to teach them. Hawthorne is great for students that don't require special services. My experience is that my child is being passed through,learning very little and is in turn feeling hurt. I'm connected to what goes on with my child and communicate often with staff assigned to my child as well as administrators at Hawthorne. I'd just caution that if you can afford a private school, or you can find a school that specializes in special education seek out those schools.

realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly good school a great safe environment teachers help you guide you throught hardships like if your having problems to understand they can help you

My daughter is in kindergarten at Hawthorne and we have been so pleased thus far. Her teacher is dedicated, responsive, and clearly up to date on best practices in education. The administration is very accessible (they chose to convert their offices into a conference room since they're not in the office ever) and really care about the success of each child. My daughter is an advanced learner and they have worked to challenge and meet her individual needs. We grappled with sending her to Hawthorne or a gifted program and are so happy that we chose the more well-rounded setting that will allow for both of our children to be at one school as well. The community of families is also very kind, welcoming, and accepting of the very diverse backgrounds of those that attend the school. As with any CPS school there is a focus on test scores, but that is to be expected - and I find it a testament to the education that Hawthorne does so well on the test with kids from all socioeconomic tiers and backgrounds. It's really a special place and we feel lucky to have gotten in.

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.