Chicago, IL

Posted November 21, 2014
Hawthorne is in great shape in a difficult environment for public schools and I credit the combined efforts of the current principal, staff, faculty, and families at the school. I see kids collaborate in small groups and approach problems from different perspectives. I see good relationships and talented people forming a powerful community with high standards and active fund raising. I saw an awesome dads [and a mom] band last night at Schubas. And every year I see well-prepared children graduate and move on to top high schools. We are very fortunate to be at this outstanding school. Keep it up Pietrini.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 3

Posted November 13, 2014
Hawthorne was a very unique and special school before we hired our current principal 2+ years ago...Mr. Pietrini. Sadly, as new families enroll each new school year they will never experience how amazing this school was before Pietrini. They will never understand how amazing it should & could be with the right person leading. Before Pietrini, we had a school environment that welcomed parents always and encouraged them to volunteer in whatever capacity they wished. We had an amazing Principal, Anna Alvarado and Vice Principle. They led with kindness, intelligence and respect. Always displaying trust & pride in their students and in return they received the same. Mrs. Alvarado knew each student by name and she made them her priority. Mr Pietrini is all about control, dictatorship, making unnecessary rules, locking the doors, withholding information, keeping parents away, patting himself on the back...and TEST SCORES. The past two years more than half of our teaching staff have left and many, many families have pulled their kids out as well. It's hard to watch what is happening to our school. I wish CPS would get involved because the parents are too scared to speak up.

Posted September 30, 2014
I am currently a student at Hawthorne and I can certainly admit that this school has been outstanding in academics and the student's here work as hard as they can to be they're best. --Although, as a student I believe that everything has changed and I don't agree with the choices made to the school. The principal is suddenly taking away traditional events and changing everything Hawthorne once was without letting the students get a chance to decide whether if they were okay with that choice or not. To me, I'm afraid in the next two years, future students won't be able to experience what they're older brother/sister/etc did. I realize that Principal's can make however many changes to "their" school, but changing-- or taking traditional things away and not considering the students' opinions is quite unfair.

Posted September 30, 2014

Posted May 26, 2014
I'm a student and I love it at Hawthorne. Due to this schools rigorous curriculum and dedicated staff I've been lucky enough to receive offers to some of the best high schools in the state. I understand that it may not be ideal for everyone but a thing many teachers stress about our work is independence and taking initiative. To succeed at HSA you have to be comfortable talking, interacting, and stepping up. I am comfortable talking to my teachers, asking for advice, and going to them when I need it. Many parents get angry because the teachers don't hover over everyone giving them their full attention every second, but who can? With a class of 32 kids, that's a difficult expectation. Hover parents won't fly; instead prepare your child to not have their hand held all the time. Hawthorne is great preparation for highschool and the real world, I honestly couldn't be more thankful I attended.

Posted April 29, 2014
Hawthorne staff work well together to provide an excellent, A+ education to all the children in the school. I have personally experienced much aid from the special education department that I will be eternally grateful too. Unfortunatelly, I wish the school were closer, but most of the time we need to sacrifice to get the best out of life anyway.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy 3

Posted August 19, 2013
Hawthorne has great academics but its the most private of all the CPS elementary schools. There is a strong lack of diversity here but otherwise, Hawthorne is a great place to be.

Posted August 13, 2013
Hawthorne is one of the better CPS schools. My son is learning much more than he ever did/could at our neighborhood school. The diverse learning environment is invaluable.

Posted August 12, 2013
Very impressed with the progress my daughter made this past year. The teachers are amazing and very committed. I am also very pleased with the energy the new principal brings.

Posted March 07, 2013
We are lucky to have such wonderful and caring teachers. Like most CPS schools right now, we are going through an adjustment to the longer day and new structure, but our supportive teachers are the backbone of this school.

Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy
3319 North Clifton Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary Scholastic Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top