Chicago, IL

Posted December 20, 2013
My children have been attending Irving since pre-k, and their scores exceed the average. As an "affluent" parent, I feel that the school is growing and continues to work towards meeting the needs of the students. I am an involved parent, and I feel that my ideas and concerns are welcomed by the administration.

Irving Elementary School 1

Posted October 31, 2013
I am a homeowner in the Tri/Taylor neighborhood where Irving is located. Tri/Taylor is comprised of homeowners and college student renters who attend nearby U of I Circle Campus. My daughter attended Irving from 1rst to 3rd and I was very involved as a parent volunteer and member of the LSC for one year. Only a handful of Tri/Taylor parents send their children to the school and while the neighborhood is affluent, 90% of the students attending Irving qualify for the Federal Free Lunch Program. While I very much respected my daughters teachers I found the administration to be hostile and self-interested. Most recently the assistant principal told one parent that Irving is "her house" meaning the needs or our community are secondary to her own. The school greatly benefits from being located in the heart of our safe and beautiful community, but the community, at present does not benefit enjoying Irving as a truly neighborhood school.

Irving Elementary School 5

Posted September 24, 2013
This is my oldest kid's 2nd year there. We love the pre-k team, curriculum, and facility. My 4 yr old is reading and told me the classmates learn to use proper manners. The pre-k teachers are terrific! We love the school.

Irving Elementary School 0

Posted January 26, 2010
My daughter attends Washington Irving and I absolutely love it! Her kindergarten teacher Ms.Lopez is the most awesome teacher that a child could ask for. She challenges the kids and my daughter is actually reading. She's great with the children. Even when my daughter is sick, she cry's to go to school. And the staff is the best. They are so caring and compassionate. What more could a mom ask for? Kudos to the staff and curriculum at Washington Irving!

Posted April 21, 2009
I have a child in kindergarten and have been very pleased. My daughter's teacher, Ms. Lopez, is top -notch. She has a long history of teaching, and maintains a high level of care and concern for each and every child in her class. She seems to have a great balance of gentle kindness, but commands respect from the kids at the same time. Although I can't speak for the upper classes, I think Irving is a little neighboorhood gem. Staff have continued to be friendly and helpful.

Irving Elementary School 3

Posted January 15, 2009
I am a parent of an Irving student. There is a great after school program for students to ride the bus to a park kids program. The band teacher is great, my son wakes up early on his own to go to practice at 7:30 AM! The principal is weak and not much of a leader. The parents are great. It is atruly diverse school and a neighborhood with many people with long term roots. The buidling is great. They seem to punish students with suspensions way too readily.

Posted February 21, 2007
I attended Irving as a child from 4th until graduation in 8th grade and the teachers were superb. I currently have my son attending and although some teachers have changed, the teachers are still caring and available to help students reach their full potential. The school does have music and art part of their curriculum. In previous years, Irving won several awards for their concert band performances. Parents are also strongly encouraged to volunteer whenever they have the chance. Reading is also a strong component of their curriculum.

Irving Elementary School 5

Posted April 29, 2004
I currently have three children attending Washington Irving Elementary. One in pre-k, one in kindergarten, and another in 2nd grade. Being a parent I make it a habit of checking in on my kids and their teachers. I have been present during lessons and am very satisfied with the way the teachers connect with the students. When there is a child that is struggling the teachers really reach out and do everything in their power to help the children. As for the rest of the faculty and the school, it's a great enviroment for the children. To those parents that may have problems with the teachers and their children, there is one important thing that every parent needs to do no matter where the school may be, and that is 'get involved.'

Irving Elementary School 2

Posted February 23, 2004
My daughter has attended this school from kindergarden to the 4th grade. Except for 3rd grade with Mr. Bartlett, the teachers have been fair. Her Kindergarden teacher, Ms. Smith, is the best with interaction and development with the students. The faculty are absolutely horrible! They talk to the students in a very demeaning way and they also talk down to the parents. They ssem to be more interested in chastizing, rather than supporting and helping students with challenges or difficulties.

Irving Elementary School
749 South Oakley Boulevard, Chicago, IL  60612
Last modified Irving Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Irving Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top