Bad
Good

I was the longest standing Jackson Parent( 20 years) until my youngest two Elijah and Ridge were provided academic scholarships and moved to the East Coast.. Principal Ditto has his ears on not only the academic pulse of these students but also the social emotional component . My daughter Taylor Brown was the first CPS honorary school board member who graduated from Jackson and my other children including Glenn has gone on to see and experienced amazing lives since Jackson. We are AA and have experienced slight under estimations because of its diversity however all six of my children have been world changers and it's partly due to Jackson! Grateful that I was a part of that family!

Our family was new to AJLA this past year & our child loves the school & is thriving. I find the teachers/staff to be welcoming & sincere in their focus on my child's academic & emotional well-being. Disappointingly, I have not felt welcomed by some of the more active parent volunteers. I take offense at the blanket statement that a reviewer made regarding new parents being lazy. If you hope to garner more participation & not alienate the new parents who have been participating, I would be more sensitive with word choice. Being new to the school this past year, I was regularly involved in my child's classroom, volunteered for 2 or more wider school events & donated a good amount of money. Now that we have made it through year 1, I plan to increase my involvement. That being said, when I did participate in school activities, I found some of the existing parents were not welcoming (did not speak or did not communicate timely). Despite some challenges, I will still volunteer in the best interest of my child, the school & for the many parents who have been welcoming. New parents, I know we care & hope you aren't discouraged from participating. AJLA is a great community!

AJLA is a good school but we are slowly going downhill. Over the past few years, the parents and families coming in are getting more and more lazy. They feel lucky to be at AJLA but don't realize that they need to step up and contribute. The reason it is good is because of the involvement of past parents. When parents aren't involved in their child's education, schools go down. So new parents - do something, get involved, start volunteering, start donating time and money. Stop coming into school twice a year just to pick up report cards. Stop being absent before it's too late.

Coming from a private school, I was a little wary at what to expect from this school. I must admit that Andrew Jackson has exceeded my expectations. My son is thriving and learning much more that I thought he would in kindergarten! The staff,teachers, volunteers, and parents all help this school be such the success it is! The class sizes are still larger than private school, but kudos to the teachers and staff who keep up the excellence despite the larger classes. I am thankful that my son has the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful learning environment.

Andrew Jackson is a great school and I could not be happier with my child's development. I wish the rest of the world had this kind of diversity, kindness and dedication.

So, to the real estate broker who said that moving near AJ doesn't help your chances, even if you're 1.5 miles away. I read where there was a different lottery for kids within 1.5 miles - are you saying that's incorrect. I'm just asking because we are just starting to look where to move in Chicago for next school year (2013-14) and just want to get a handle on all of this...thanks.

This school has done wonders for my daughter! I was always on the look out for a great school for my children and that is exactly what I've found in this school. From principal all the way to the lunch staff , they keep these kids well rounded and completely grounded. Its excellent. The parents are great also. I work crazy hours so I'm not able to be as involved as I want but they always make you feel welcomed and included. Best school ever .

Great School, Great Teachers, Great Leadership. They have their act together. Parents are the best here. I mean its WOW!

Dear Parent, I am a real estate broker and a mother of two who also lives in the area and would like to inform you that living in the area does not provide you with instant access to AJ because it is not considered a neighborhood school. Therefore, please be careful if promises or statements have been made to you during your home buying search or purchase as to the likelihood of acceptance at AJ will be based on lottery.

Does anybody know what are your chances of getting accepted if you live in the neighborhood (less than 1.5 mi away?). We are buying a house around the school and are looking forward to having our son attend, but I am worried about this lottery system even for neighborhood kids. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last modified Jackson A Elementary Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.