Jahn Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 400 students

Posted August 22, 2014

Jahn is an absolute gem! I came from a level 1 school to teach at Jahn because I fell in love with the culture and amazing diversity at the school. I also saw huge potential. The expectation at Jahn is that just caring about your students isn't enough, you have to be able to teach them. The school is changing in a positive way and with more support from the community it will flourish. We offer spanish, music and art and are adopting new after school enrichment programs. We have top notch technology and the best literacy and math curriculum available. Jahn is an inclusive school with most classrooms having both a general education teacher and a learning specialist. The staff is fabulous and the new principal, Michael Herring, is fired up. He is ready to do whatever is necessary to bring Jahn to level 1 status. I highly encourage anyone reading these reviews to call the school and come for a personal tour. I am honored to teach at this AMAZING school and look forward to seeing it grow!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 23, 2014

My grandchildren have attended this school since 2008. The oldest graduated last year, however the younger child wants nothing more to do with this school. When I arrive at the school to pick her I have seen (on more than one occasion) upper grade children playing ball in the school yard unsupervised, and this is at 2:15. My car has been hit by their balls, and they run down Wolcott chasing balls. The discipline is also horrible inside the school. The theft, swearing, disrespect is way too much to have to live with. What ever happened to learning in school? Apparently this is not a priority at Jahn. We are currently seeking other educational avenues.

Posted May 25, 2014

I just transferred my daughter out of Jahn. She had been going there since kindergarten and I was very happy but these last two years have been just awful. Earlier in the year, I walked into the school to witness the principal yelling at the music teacher about keeping the auditorium clean. I wish she had told him in private and not in front of a large number of students and teachers. What kind of message is being sent to our children? That it is ok to humiliate a teacher like that? Why are the students going to respect the teachers or any adult if the administration doesn't? What finally convinced me to pull my daughter out of the school is the lack of discipline. The students are breaking windows, fighting, swearing as if it's nothing and swearing at the teachers. This is beyond growing pains, it's insanity. I witnessed three boys swearing at the new upper grade science teacher and needless to say I was shocked, but what shocked me even more was that my daughter told me it's a regular occurrence. I was wondering what was going on, why so many teachers that have taught at Jahn for so many years were leaving. It all makes sense now, the new admin has turned the school upside down.

Posted May 14, 2014

My two children attend Jahn School and we couldn't be happier about it. It is our neighborhood school and there is such a feeling of warmth when you walk though the doors that I have never felt from any other school I have toured. The new administration is pushing hard to improve test scores and implementing programs that, not only are helpful for students' academic advancement, but that also shape them into kind, respectful citizens. The school has, for some time, fought a bad reputation but many parents and community members, along with the staff, are committed to working on this school to change it.

Posted May 12, 2014

I am proud of Jahn Elementary. I serve both on the Local School Council as well as the Friends of Jahn Board and can attest to the personal dedication, passion and empathy demonstrated by Jahn administration and faculty. Jahn is definitely a school that is turning around and with that comes change and hard work. I understand that change can be uncomfortable but the school is absolutely heading in the right direction. The Principal is hands-down one of the most dynamic individuals I have had the opportunity to work with. The care, empathy and dedication she has for her students to learn and grow is amazing. She and her staff are laser focused on academic achievement and how best to help students succeed. I applaud all the extra hours, volunteering and skills the Jahn administration and staff put in to help this school be the best, not just the best it can be, but the best. I know change is tough and ruffles feathers (per prior review posted) but the vision, the leadership and the resources are certainly aligning and Jahn is on the up and up! The best way to help see the change you want at the school is to get involved.

Posted May 3, 2014

This was really a great school that was always getting better and better. My son really loved going to Jahn since kindergarten. But things started changing for the worse last year. The new principal at this school has destroyed it. And it's only her second year. It almost seems like she did it on purpose. A lot of great teachers are gone which doesn't surprise me because my son said the principal is very mean to the teachers and staff, sometimes screaming at them. My son has told me that there are now a lot of fights but the kids who start the fights aren't punished. I'm so glad my son is graduating this year. I think someone should investigate what happened to this school. I heard the new principal is good friends with Rahm Emanuel so maybe they are trying to make the school fail so they can close it.

Posted April 28, 2014

I'm so happy my son was accepted to this school! He absolutely loves it and his teachers! The teachers & staff really care about their students development & work very hard to make sure children stay in the right path!!!! My son enjoys every minute of school & is very excited to go everyday.

Posted March 6, 2014

I got my kid out of Jahn this school year they had been attending there since Kindergarten however the administration has changed so much they have stopped making the students the priority. Some teachers don't seem to want to see the kids succeed. I was very disappointed when instead of providing additional needed support they labeled a child "bilingual" when the child was not!

Posted March 4, 2014

I gave never in my life been treated with such disrespect from adults and children alike. There are nice neighborhood homes going up and I pray they look at the reviews and scores of the school and stay away. I've been cursed and by 7th graders, verbally harassed by grown adults, and heard endless excuses and empty promises made by the administration to improve the safety and environment for our children (nothing is down, but they say things to shut you up in the short term). My daughters teacher is a rate gem in the school but one teacher can't account for the terrible experience this schools staff and students have bestowed upon me. Please AVOID!!

Posted October 17, 2011

Jahn school is a warm friendly and academic enviroment. From the office staff all the way up to the teachers. Their devotion and dedication to their students and school shows in everything they do. The students look happy and feel safe. As a parent of Jahn I appreciate everything Mrs. Grigalunas has done and is doing and now with Dr. Chipain and all the programs he has working with us the school is really blossoming. I like how they handled the merger of the schools. The students are doing well too. My son loves the diversity that the school has and all the academic and extra curriculum that Jahn offers. GREAT JOB JAHN. WE LOVE U.

Posted October 17, 2011

As a teacher here at Jahn I feel that this year we r really going far with all our new programs thank you administration. All our new smart boards and terrific teaching staff and ofiice and school staff. Without all this and more our students would not feel safe, happy and welcome. Our diversity and warmth comes through everything we do. I am proud to be a Jahn staff person and know we r only going to get better. GO HUSKIES!!!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 17, 2011

I have been involved in the Jahn School community for over twenty five years and have seen many positives, especially over the last few years. The program offerings are very impressive for a neighborhood school and the administration and teachers are always willing to go above and beyond for their students. I am very pleased with Jahn and the high quality education that is being given to their students.

Posted October 17, 2011

I am a parent of a young boy and I have seen Jahn School grow in the last several years. The students that are exiting the eight grade classes are phenomenal young adults. They are equipped with 21st century technology skills and are becoming fluent in the Spanish language. I am so impressed with all the programs that they have become part of this year. I am a fan of the Shedd Navigators program that Jahn has been chosen for. I also love the teachers at Jahn. Go Jahn!

Posted October 17, 2011

The technology at Jahn School is superior. I walked through the building last week and I witnessed Smart Boards being used in every single classroom. There were teachers who had students working on Smart Boards and at Computer Stations set up in the classroom. I was so impressed. The society we live in today requires students to be using 21st century technology tools and Jahn definitely has that. Also, as I walked around the building I couldn t help but notice all the different types of programs being used. I saw Discovery Science and the Shedd Navigator program in place. My child is definitely going to Jahn.

Posted October 17, 2011

I am a parent of a child in 3rd grade. We have been beyond happy with everything about Jahn. This year, they have added more programs and more options that are of the highest caliber. I am thrilled to have this neighborhood gem to send my child to school every. I have never seen a fight in the hallway as another post suggests. The school leadership is outstanding and responsive to every parent. They care about our kids at Jahn. Do yourself a favor and see it for yourself! The best school for my child and yours!

Posted October 17, 2011

I am a parent of a first grade student at Jahn School. Honestly, I am extremely impressed with my daughter's teacher. My daughter is always so excited to tell me about the new things she is learning in class. It is clear that her teacher is dynamic, innovative, and loving.

Posted October 17, 2011

This is one of if not the best shools we have ever been in. the teachers are wonderful, the open door policy in the administration office is outstanding! Our children have all the best and newest technology, from Smart Boards, computers, partnerships with Depaul, Lincoln Park Zoo. Northwester University, the list goes on and on!! Test scores going up, students meeting and exceeding Learning Standards at almost 84%! In Science, Reading and Math 82% and better! This school provides a very high quality education, with wonderful staffing, fantastic teachers!!! They all deserve a Golden Apple as far as we are concerned. Our school is always greeting us with open arms. Our school is always clean, neat, and orderly. We use this as an example at home when house cleaning and in day to day household chores. In this school there is a spirit of togetherness, hard work, and praise. It is a wonderful recipe for a bright and wonderful for future for our children. Thank You.

Posted October 17, 2011

As a parent of a 7th grade boy, Jahn school has prepared him for High school and he has grown emotionally, academically and mentally. He respects and love his teacher and Administration. I can not say enough abouot Jahn school. I am glad they care enough about a students well being to be in a program with Ill. Masonic, they also have no treats at school to prevent any student wether they know or not from having an allergic reaction. I mean what school does that. I really appreciate them for looking out for my child who is highly sensitive to peanut products. I also love the fax that teacher have smart boards to create an exciting and interactive classroom. I have seen my son since third grade grow to a wonderful young man. Your the best Jahn.

Posted June 24, 2011

This school is by far the best school I have seen. The principle is the most caring and loving person by far. The teachers are exceptional. The events are spectacular!. The office personal are great individuals that don't belittle you no matter the question. The teachers are young and are in-tuned with the needs of the children. By far the best school.

Posted May 21, 2011

This school is an Excellent school. Every time i walk in the office I receive a warm welcome. My children are kept so involved in band, chess, softball, arts and crafts, Cooking class, foreign language club, volleyball etc...The new Music teacher is unlike any i have seen, his assembly events make you feel like your at concert or a symphony. Mr.Jablo's has a passion for music and teaching,my kids love him. I have 3 kids so they need to be kept busy. It exceeds my expectations, every year they surprise me with something new. They have a family environment where the kids are treated like family. They have gems of teachers that go above and beyond their job description. Yes every school will have a lousy teacher but the majority of the teachers here go the extra mile. Im still impressed since 2005 , I continue to see progress.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students39%

Low income51%
Students without disabilities58%
English language learners15%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students51%

Low income48%
Students with disabilities (IEP)9%
Students without disabilities59%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Music teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

School start time
  • 8:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Stephanie Ann Bloom
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3149 North Wolcott Avenue