Chicago, IL

Posted March 27, 2015
My children are very happy at Jahn . The teachers are caring and they want the students to be successful!! The school has a warm, welcoming atmosphere.

Posted February 20, 2015
I love my kids' school! My son is in preschool there and Ms. Mary and Ms. Nancy are so awesome! He has speech delays and they work so hard with him. They let him use his strengths and challenge his weaknesses. Jahn Preschool program earned the Gold Circle of Quality as well, which they definitely deserve. My daughter is also there in 2nds grade with Dr. Coleman. She is fantastic. The students love her and she adds so many interesting things into the curriculum. Her approach to creative writing is one of my favorite things. The principle is fantastic. Mr. Herring sat down with the preschool parents individually, just to chat about what the next couple years will be like at Jahn. I got to meet the teachers and hear about his plans for the school. Bottom Line:Get your kids in here before it gets too full. They are moving on up and will continue.

Posted November 09, 2014
My daughter attends Jahn in the Kindergarten, and she attended pre-k at Jahn for the past two years. We live in the neighborhood and love to see the improvements and increased community involvement in our local school! My daughter is in a class of 19 students, with a teacher who is bilingual and teaches them some Spanish throughout the day. She has already learned to read this fall, after just knowing letter sounds this summer. The music teacher, Spanish teacher, and new art teachers are fantastic. We are really happy with our daughter's education this year, and the direction the entire school is moving under the leadership of the new principal, Mr. Herring.

Posted November 06, 2014
I currently have a child in 1st grade at Jahn. This year has been incredible. With Mr. Herring as pricipal and Mr. G. As assistant there is definitely a change and it is for good! The school has a completely different agenda this year and thanks to Mr. Herring, the administrative staff and the teachers, it's a place that my son really loves to be!

Posted November 05, 2014
I currently have both children at Jahn, this is our 3rd year being there. I must say that this year I cannot be any happier with this school. The administration including the new principal and the teachers are amazing. The classes are very small, so everybody gets plenty of attention. I recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 05, 2014
The preschool program at Jahn has been awarded GOLD Circle of Quality Award by ExceleRate Illinois. This is the highest level they award and recognizes programs that meet or go beyond the highest quality goals: learning environment and teaching quality; administrative standards; and staff training and education. These programs are actively engaged in continuous quality improvement. Jahn parents are pleased our preschool is finally getting the recognition our tireless staff deserves!

Posted November 05, 2014
My son is in his first year of preschool and he loves it! He's learning so much. I have volunteered several times in his classroom and so impressed with how the program is run. We have lived in the neighborhood for eight years and have watch the school slowly transform. We are so pleased with the new principal and staff. There is a wonderful community of involved parents. The class sizes are small which allows for more attention to each student.

Jahn Elementary School 4

Posted August 22, 2014
Jahn is an absolute gem! I came from a level 1 school to teach at Jahn because I fell in love with the culture and amazing diversity at the school. I also saw huge potential. The expectation at Jahn is that just caring about your students isn't enough, you have to be able to teach them. The school is changing in a positive way and with more support from the community it will flourish. We offer spanish, music and art and are adopting new after school enrichment programs. We have top notch technology and the best literacy and math curriculum available. Jahn is an inclusive school with most classrooms having both a general education teacher and a learning specialist. The staff is fabulous and the new principal, Michael Herring, is fired up. He is ready to do whatever is necessary to bring Jahn to level 1 status. I highly encourage anyone reading these reviews to call the school and come for a personal tour. I am honored to teach at this AMAZING school and look forward to seeing it grow!

Jahn Elementary School 2

Posted June 23, 2014
My grandchildren have attended this school since 2008. The oldest graduated last year, however the younger child wants nothing more to do with this school. When I arrive at the school to pick her I have seen (on more than one occasion) upper grade children playing ball in the school yard unsupervised, and this is at 2:15. My car has been hit by their balls, and they run down Wolcott chasing balls. The discipline is also horrible inside the school. The theft, swearing, disrespect is way too much to have to live with. What ever happened to learning in school? Apparently this is not a priority at Jahn. We are currently seeking other educational avenues.

Jahn Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2014
I just transferred my daughter out of Jahn. She had been going there since kindergarten and I was very happy but these last two years have been just awful. Earlier in the year, I walked into the school to witness the principal yelling at the music teacher about keeping the auditorium clean. I wish she had told him in private and not in front of a large number of students and teachers. What kind of message is being sent to our children? That it is ok to humiliate a teacher like that? Why are the students going to respect the teachers or any adult if the administration doesn't? What finally convinced me to pull my daughter out of the school is the lack of discipline. The students are breaking windows, fighting, swearing as if it's nothing and swearing at the teachers. This is beyond growing pains, it's insanity. I witnessed three boys swearing at the new upper grade science teacher and needless to say I was shocked, but what shocked me even more was that my daughter told me it's a regular occurrence. I was wondering what was going on, why so many teachers that have taught at Jahn for so many years were leaving. It all makes sense now, the new admin has turned the school upside down.

Jahn Elementary School
3149 North Wolcott Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Jahn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jahn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top