Chicago, IL

Posted May 21, 2015
I saw the talent show. The kids performances were wonderful.. I saw a man holding a microphone trying to quiet the audience. He raised his hand to signal them to be quiet. He kept telling them to be quiet. Noone listen to him. He stood there for more than 5 minutes to quiet the kids and he kept saying we are not going to continue unless you are quiet. The audience was very loud and rowdy. I was shocked when my child told me that that man was the principal. I kept asking are you sure. Noone listened to this man. The kids were yelling some teachers were on the phone while he was talking. He kept saying we are not going to show unless you are quiet. He gave up and just continued with the other performances because he could not control the kids. Another man came to the microphone and it was the same thing. Kids being rowdy and loud and he also couldn't control them. This thing was like a scene from a movie. This school is a joke. What kind of principals are these that can not control kids.

Posted May 05, 2015
I'm very disappointed with this school, specially with the principal office, my daughter have a bulling problem and they did nothing to fix it, its like they were afraid of the parents of the other child, they protect the bully and didnt finish good. If i was you i wont send my child to this school, dont let them fool you with great smiles they are a very bad school

Posted April 29, 2015
Anyone who sends their kids to this school is fooled by the nice homes in the area. But the owners of these nice homes are not sending their kids to this school and I am taking my child out. The principals force the students( even very young students) to paint the school during school time when they should be in the classroom learning. I don't mean painting as part of an art class they are painting the doors and walls white and blue. My young son came home with paint all over his clothes and his hands hurting because he painted so much. This was during school time when he should have been in the classroom learning. That should tell you how little they care about the kids education and the kids themselves. They should be in the classroom learning not painting walls and doors. My son tells me they always have dangerous chemicals out in the hallway not locked. He told me there were three kids in the hallway once by themselves and they were trying to make each other drink these chemicals. This would never happen at a responsible school with responsible principals. I am getting my child out.

Posted March 27, 2015
My children are very happy at Jahn . The teachers are caring and they want the students to be successful!! The school has a warm, welcoming atmosphere.

Posted February 20, 2015
I love my kids' school! My son is in preschool there and Ms. Mary and Ms. Nancy are so awesome! He has speech delays and they work so hard with him. They let him use his strengths and challenge his weaknesses. Jahn Preschool program earned the Gold Circle of Quality as well, which they definitely deserve. My daughter is also there in 2nds grade with Dr. Coleman. She is fantastic. The students love her and she adds so many interesting things into the curriculum. Her approach to creative writing is one of my favorite things. The principle is fantastic. Mr. Herring sat down with the preschool parents individually, just to chat about what the next couple years will be like at Jahn. I got to meet the teachers and hear about his plans for the school. Bottom Line:Get your kids in here before it gets too full. They are moving on up and will continue.

Posted November 09, 2014
My daughter attends Jahn in the Kindergarten, and she attended pre-k at Jahn for the past two years. We live in the neighborhood and love to see the improvements and increased community involvement in our local school! My daughter is in a class of 19 students, with a teacher who is bilingual and teaches them some Spanish throughout the day. She has already learned to read this fall, after just knowing letter sounds this summer. The music teacher, Spanish teacher, and new art teachers are fantastic. We are really happy with our daughter's education this year, and the direction the entire school is moving under the leadership of the new principal, Mr. Herring.

Posted November 06, 2014
I currently have a child in 1st grade at Jahn. This year has been incredible. With Mr. Herring as pricipal and Mr. G. As assistant there is definitely a change and it is for good! The school has a completely different agenda this year and thanks to Mr. Herring, the administrative staff and the teachers, it's a place that my son really loves to be!

Posted November 05, 2014
I currently have both children at Jahn, this is our 3rd year being there. I must say that this year I cannot be any happier with this school. The administration including the new principal and the teachers are amazing. The classes are very small, so everybody gets plenty of attention. I recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 05, 2014
The preschool program at Jahn has been awarded GOLD Circle of Quality Award by ExceleRate Illinois. This is the highest level they award and recognizes programs that meet or go beyond the highest quality goals: learning environment and teaching quality; administrative standards; and staff training and education. These programs are actively engaged in continuous quality improvement. Jahn parents are pleased our preschool is finally getting the recognition our tireless staff deserves!

Posted November 05, 2014
My son is in his first year of preschool and he loves it! He's learning so much. I have volunteered several times in his classroom and so impressed with how the program is run. We have lived in the neighborhood for eight years and have watch the school slowly transform. We are so pleased with the new principal and staff. There is a wonderful community of involved parents. The class sizes are small which allows for more attention to each student.

Jahn Elementary School
3149 North Wolcott Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Jahn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jahn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top