Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted August 15, 2015
Great location and great teachers. The school is beautiful. I've enjoyed the parents and faculty.

Posted July 01, 2015
Mrs. Pajkos & Mrs. Wesley rock in the middle school grades. I am so happy we send our children to Kellogg School. Ms. Scanlon has done great things in moving this school forward and bringing great new staff to the school.

Kellogg Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
The last comment on here is so misguided! Kellogg was once an "electronic" school; never a technology academy. It was very outdated, the schools name had to be updated and has since moved along in this 21st century to have a state of the art computer lab; many ipads and Chromebook cart are utilized in the classroom. The school is a neighborhood school and can never be compared to Keller who takes all of the highest performing students from the neighborhood schools. Kellogg has a wonderful program for all ages especially the IB MYP program in 6th-8th grade. My children that have graduated were well prepared for their studies at Whitney Young. Kellogg might be small and overlooked but it is a great opportunity for children!

Posted February 19, 2015
This is sad the see about Kellogg. I went there when it was the first "Technology Academy" in the city, in the mid-late 90's. Kellogg used to be on par with Keller, and was VERY hard to get into. What happened? I looked ibto sending mh own children there only to find that MUCH of what had been built by Pinciple Scanell and my generation (my class was the first to plant and maintain the garden on the south side of the campus) has been destroyed. The technology center was the frist of its kind and a huge inspiration for those of us technically inclined. Its sad to see that a once great CPS school has been turned into this.

Posted March 10, 2014
I am also going to disagree with the post from the parent on Feb 3rd. Yes, there have been several retirements or transfers of the principals in the last 5-6 years, but Kellogg's current administrators and teachers are great. All students are cared for and celebrated in the same way. This sounds like sour grapes as if this parents child didn't get an award they wanted. That happens, you can't always be one who is in 1st place or the top students. Kellogg regularly has events for parents. There seems to be something almost every week or every other week. My favorite is the parent/child workshops. I hope they do them at every grade level. The new principal is open to suggestions, she is available to the kids and the parents. Look at the improvements in the school. New floors, painted rooms, building is attractive and the kids are actually using new current technology. I am so glad my children attend Kellogg. Many teacher are posting information on projects online now. It would be nice if daily or weekly assignments could be posted too. However, Kellogg is a wonderful school for a health education experience.

Posted February 06, 2014
I have to disagree with the previous post because I don't think there is favoritism along racial lines. There are only 10-15 white children in the school total and a handful of Latinos. It seems to me that all the children are loved. Kellogg has an excellent faculty, both regular and special ed, as well as a helpful staff, and their leadership is quite good.

Kellogg Elementary School 1

Posted February 03, 2014
Kellogg school like many other CPS schools is a victim of poor leadership. Imagine, having had 5 different principals over the past 10 years. There is also a tendency to favoritism and it generally falls along racial lines. The same children are honored and rewarded and encouraged. Overall, this school is a big disappointment.

Posted January 12, 2014
Kellogg is a wonderul school! I am really surprised about the comments about teachers yelling. I am regularly up at the school and assisting with school events. I never hear any of the staff yell at students, nor think it is a common thing. I hear adults being firm with students at times, but is always the appearance of directing them to make good choices. I have a child in the middle school grades and I find that the teachers are regularly communicating the expectations about assisgnments/projects when my child brings the information home. This is on her, not the teacher so I love that they are posting the information on the classroom pages on the website. I have been part of the Kellogg Community for a long time. I do think there are incredible pressures from CPS that are not neccessary but all in all, the Kellogg Teachers and principal are doing amazing things for the kids! I think if anyone is considering Kellogg for their child they need to come in and make an informed decision. The principal always makes herself available. The assistant principal too!

Posted November 04, 2013
I must agree, with the previous comment, the yelling can be a bit much. I cringe when i hear it. I too feel out of the loop regarding what my child shouldbe doing, and instructions regarding assignments. I however don't blame school, but the board of education. The stress that has been placed on the teachers is enormous. I do like the open door policy, anytime i have had a question, the teachers our principle have always provided the answers i needed.

Posted November 03, 2013
Overall I think my son's school is OK. My only concern is that teachers sometime appear to be stressed by the way they respond to their students (too much yelling)! Not all children can deal with this yelling even if they are not the one being yelled at. In addition, I think the teachers in the middle school grades could be clearer on their assignment expectation. They should use technology more to communicate with parents via technology (i.e. posting assignments with instructions). The key to student sucess is parent involvement and there are many parents that want their children to succeed but often times projects and assignments are not clear to the parents. If they are posted on-line parents can review the assignment and assist their children as needed. I also think that more parent meetings are needed with the principle to discuss parent concerns. This concerns are not brought up at PTA meetings.

Kellogg Elementary School
9241 South Leavitt St, Chicago, IL  60643
Last modified Kellogg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.