Kellogg Elementary School 5

Posted March 10, 2014
I am also going to disagree with the post from the parent on Feb 3rd. Yes, there have been several retirements or transfers of the principals in the last 5-6 years, but Kellogg's current administrators and teachers are great. All students are cared for and celebrated in the same way. This sounds like sour grapes as if this parents child didn't get an award they wanted. That happens, you can't always be one who is in 1st place or the top students. Kellogg regularly has events for parents. There seems to be something almost every week or every other week. My favorite is the parent/child workshops. I hope they do them at every grade level. The new principal is open to suggestions, she is available to the kids and the parents. Look at the improvements in the school. New floors, painted rooms, building is attractive and the kids are actually using new current technology. I am so glad my children attend Kellogg. Many teacher are posting information on projects online now. It would be nice if daily or weekly assignments could be posted too. However, Kellogg is a wonderful school for a health education experience.

Posted February 06, 2014
I have to disagree with the previous post because I don't think there is favoritism along racial lines. There are only 10-15 white children in the school total and a handful of Latinos. It seems to me that all the children are loved. Kellogg has an excellent faculty, both regular and special ed, as well as a helpful staff, and their leadership is quite good.

Kellogg Elementary School 1

Posted February 03, 2014
Kellogg school like many other CPS schools is a victim of poor leadership. Imagine, having had 5 different principals over the past 10 years. There is also a tendency to favoritism and it generally falls along racial lines. The same children are honored and rewarded and encouraged. Overall, this school is a big disappointment.

Posted November 04, 2013
I must agree, with the previous comment, the yelling can be a bit much. I cringe when i hear it. I too feel out of the loop regarding what my child shouldbe doing, and instructions regarding assignments. I however don't blame school, but the board of education. The stress that has been placed on the teachers is enormous. I do like the open door policy, anytime i have had a question, the teachers our principle have always provided the answers i needed.

Posted November 03, 2013
Overall I think my son's school is OK. My only concern is that teachers sometime appear to be stressed by the way they respond to their students (too much yelling)! Not all children can deal with this yelling even if they are not the one being yelled at. In addition, I think the teachers in the middle school grades could be clearer on their assignment expectation. They should use technology more to communicate with parents via technology (i.e. posting assignments with instructions). The key to student sucess is parent involvement and there are many parents that want their children to succeed but often times projects and assignments are not clear to the parents. If they are posted on-line parents can review the assignment and assist their children as needed. I also think that more parent meetings are needed with the principle to discuss parent concerns. This concerns are not brought up at PTA meetings.

Kellogg Elementary School 5

Posted May 27, 2012
In looking at these reviews, they are very dated. You should solicit newer reviews. True, there were some problems as noted, however the new administration under a new principal has brought many improvements. Our family had three children graduate from Kellogg and all have been very successful, both in the local public high school and in public colleges in Illinois. The selection of three new teachers recently brought good quality to the teaching staff. Teacher adies now escort students down the main street enforcing better behavior and a crack down on addresses has reduced enrollment and eliminated out of district students. I know this well because I serve on the Local School Council and besides attending monthly meetings, I visit the school frequently. Any doubters out there, take a new look at Kellogg.

Posted October 03, 2009
Kellogg is a positive community. The students have inquiring minds and the teachers work together to enrich the learning environment.

Kellogg Elementary School 3

Posted September 15, 2009

Kellogg Elementary School 0

Posted April 04, 2009
Kellogg Elementary is not what it use to be. After the old principal left this school went downhill. My son went here last year and I'm very disappointed at the favoritism this school shows toward certain students

Kellogg Elementary School 0

Posted September 09, 2008
This school has average reading and math scores but its very overcrowded with kids that live outside the neighborhood. If the administration can alleviate the overcrowdedness, I think Kellogg can be an excellent school.

Kellogg Elementary School
9241 South Leavitt Street, Chicago, IL  60643
Last modified Kellogg Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kellogg Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top