Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Poe Elementary Classical School
Grateful to: Parent

Posted November 20, 2015
This is my child's second year at Poe and so far I'm very pleased with the school and staff. The teachers make learning fun while keeping the kids on track. The principal interacts well with the students and parents and the PTA is great. Overall, the staff works well together with the parents to make sure the kids continue to grow.

Posted October 06, 2015
THIS IS PRINCESSALEXANDER, I AM 11 YEARS OLD AND I USED TO GO TO POE CLASSICAL. I LOVE THE SCHOOL IT WAS A VERY FUN AND INTERESTING SCHOOL. THE PRINCIPAL MADE SURE ALL US KIDS GOT TO GO ON FIELD TRIPS. WHILE HAVING FUN WE LEARNED NEW THINGS. I BELIEVE OUT OF ALL TH ELEMENTARY CHOOLS IVE ATTENDED THIS ONE IS BY FAR THE BEST! I LEARNED ALOT OF NEW THINGS. ART WAS MY FAVORITE. SANISH CLASS WAS ALSO FUN. MY TEACHER WOULD DRESS UP EVERTIME SHE CAME TO SCHOOL COLORFUL DRSSES. POE WILL ALWAYS STAY WITH ME AS A CHILD HOOD MEMORY.

Posted September 16, 2014
Poe Classical School is certainly among the best elementary schools within CPS selective enrollment program. Prior to my daughter attending Poe, I had little knowledge of this particular school and was not one of my choice schools. However, I have come to realize that Poe is a true contender when it comes to preparing its students for academic rigor. Poe has maintained a consistent track recorded towards student development, growth and achievement for many years. My daughter is thriving and we attribute lots of her success to our extended family at Poe!! The Principle, Staff, Teachers, LSC and PTA work in tandem and provide cohesion among all stakeholders. Therefore I encourage parents to seriously consider Poe Classical School among the pool of CPS selective enrollment schools. You will be glad you did!!

Posted September 04, 2014
I love Poe. My child has attended for the last 3 years. The principal, teachers, and staff are great and they challenge the students. My child loves the environment here. The LSC/PTA are working hard for the betterment for all at this school. Everyone is committed to ensuring our children continue to soar and grow. The teachers are very receptive to parents suggestions and work well together. This school has performed very well for many years and will continue to do that for years to come thanks to the committment of the principal, teachers, and parents. We care!!

Posted July 01, 2014
I love Poe, The teachers here are concerned with your child's education just as much as the parents! I love the principal Dockery is greatly involved in the school. I love that he's interactive with the children & parents!!!

Poe Elementary Classical School 4

Posted December 22, 2012
Poe is a level 1 school that still remains in the top 5 schools in Chicago. My experience with the primary teachers has been nothing but positive. This is my son's 2nd year and the communication between parent and teacher has build a wonderful partnership in the journey of learning for my son. When it comes to the teachers, I would defend them all day long.

Posted November 18, 2012
Ian's a parent of a kindergartener, I'm very impressed with Poe with the principal at Poe. The kindergarten teacher, Ms. Jackson, is wonderful for my high spirited (and intelligent) son. She keeps him challenged and encourages his best behavior. I love that she keeps the lines of communication open with the parents. I could have my son test to go to Keller, but I really have no plans to move him. I'm looking forward to a good 7 years at Poe. From the two LSC meetings that I've been to, I do have concerns with the local school council leadership, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Poe Elementary Classical School 4

Posted September 12, 2012
This school used to be great now it is good because our new principal has let go the greatest art teacher ever dr. brown-hicks and the greatest music teacher ever mr elmore has retired and the greatest kindergarten teacher has left

Posted June 17, 2011
This school is excellent. Mrs. Haynes, the kindergarten teacher is great. The principal and vice-principal are very approachable, upbeat and seem to take care of business. The kids seem pretty well mannered and are not out of control. My child loves the school. She just completed kindergarten and has already started learning her multiplication tables. I was in 3rd grade before I learned them. This is a great school for us parents to partner with to make sure our kids get an excellent education.

Poe Elementary Classical School 3

Posted May 23, 2009
Unfortunately I have to disagree with all of the reviews. My experience has been just the opposite. For 2 years in a row my child's teachers have refused to give advance notice of tests, have not returned homework or test results and put the majority of the grades in the online grade book just days before progress reports or report cards were to come out. Additionally, they essentially drop the entire cirriculum when the kids get back from Christmas break until they take the ISATs in March/April. After 6 months of being in school they completed 2 chapters in science and 1 chapter in social studies. How can you just not teach these subjects? I do believe the principal has leadership skills but she is retiring. I suspect she was the glue that kept this school together. If the next principal is weak, I guarantee the ISAT test scores will drop.

Poe Elementary Classical School
10538 South Langley Avenue, Chicago, IL  60628
Last modified Poe Elementary Classical School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.