Wildwood Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 412 students

Posted September 18, 2014

We moved to the neighborhood because of this school and we are so thankful that we did. Our oldest is in kindergarten and suffers from attachment anxiety among other things. He has been in preschool programs over the past 2 years and the other teachers/cultures just weren't tolerant or helpful. We felt like outcasts and struggled with how to try to help our son while maintaining a level of respect for the other children in his class. We empathized that our son created distractions in the classroom but we also wanted to stay the course so that he he would understand that his outbursts wouldn't just get him a free pass to go back home. Already, our son's teacher, the principal and other team members are devising ways to help our son find balance within defined boundaries while maintaining tranquility in the classroom. Sort of tough love but with a healthy dose of empathy for our son and entire family. I honestly don't know how/when the staff has time for themselves/their families. If I had any concern, it might be burn out for the teachers/administrators. They are all dedicated and focused. We feel very fortunate to be a part of the Wildwood community.

Posted May 16, 2013

very good school but you have to live close in the area to work at here!

Posted February 12, 2012

A new principal has brought a more progressive way of tackling some old problems: overcrowding and limited resources. Wildwood has also hired new teachers focusing on literacy and math enhancement. The after school programs are good, although the quality of the the instruction in the science and music programs is uneven. The PTA is a very strong and pervasive presence. The emphasis on excessive amounts of homework for younger children seems to have subsided. Some teachers seem to be spread a bit thin, witnessed by the need for frequent use of substitutes in some classes. Overall, an excellent school with caring and challenging teachers, involved parents, a dynamic principal and caring support staff.

Posted January 9, 2012

I love this school. Between my two daughters they have gone to 5 Chicago public schools. My older daughter has been in selective enrollment schools and my daughter who attends Wildwood has now been there for 3 years starting in 1st grade. The reason I list the number of schools my kids have gone to is because I can compare this school to many others. I really liked it the first year and that was before the new principle. I absolutely love it now. The new principle is amazing. They teach to the whole child. They do work on test prep a bit, but that is not the entire focus of the curriculum. They offer a good amount of after school activities. They have a wonderful community and while we are not in the neighborhood I still feel such a great sense of community anytime I am there.

Posted August 6, 2011

All 3 of my children attended Wildwood. The low review from a parent is an isolated incident I think, b/c everyone in the neighborhood loves Wildwood. I highly recommend it.

Posted June 22, 2011

Wildwood Elementary is a great place to send your child if you live in the neighborhood. The teachers my child has had up to now have been caring and personable. The new principle has been working on creating a more friendly atmosphere towards the parents, and communication has improved tremendously. The community's involvement in running the school through the PTA and LSC is excellent. Many of the teachers are true stand outs in particular Miss. Melidis 4th grade teacher. She really understands the children and their needs and has an excellent grasp of child psychology. She's a great asset to the school. What keeps the school from earning a higher grading is the physical space. The school is over crowded for sure and CPS refuses to give the school financial help for much needed improvements and with the new budget cuts from CPS next year will be a major challenge for the principle. We're already being asked to pitch in even more financially for 2011-2012. Overall what makes the school a good school are the parents and the new principle seems to be listening and acting on the creative feedback .

Posted June 21, 2011

i love this school! The new principal is a breath of fresh air! The focus is on learning, not so much teaching to the test. The IB curriculum is awesome. The diversity at the school is refreshing, being in a mostly white neighborhood. Student learning is evident everywhere. The parents continue to be active and involved. I can't say enough about what a fantastic first year we have had under new leadership! This was a good school before - it is a great school in the making now!!

Posted November 30, 2010

I pulled my oldest son from this school in the middle of kindergarten in 2005, unfortunately we had to re-enroll him for 1st grade due to a divorce and income loss. Both my sons attended this school until october 2009 when we moved them to a top Chicago public school in their Dad's neighborhood, this was the best thing we could have done for them, the principal of this school was awful and that attitude trickled down to everyone, there were 1 or 2 exceptional teachers but over all the feeling in this school was that our children were numbers, they we butts in the seat and represented more dollars for the school. The school was so concerned with the test scores that the kids were drilled for months prior to testing to the exclusion of actually teaching them anything else. There was always a ton of homework (2 hours of homework for kindergarten every night?!) and I often wondered what the teachers were doing as the parents seemed to be doing much of the teaching at home. I understand that there is a new principal as of 2010 and I hope the school will improve under new leadership.

Posted September 20, 2010

Wildwood is a fine school with dedicated teachers and a highly motivated parents' group determined to keep the program headed in the right direction. One of my children who attended this school is today an honors IB student at a CPS high school. My second child's ISATs show a ranking among the top 5% of math students across the U.S. I am confident that both of these accomplishments are due in part to the hard work of Wildwood's teachers and administrators.

Posted May 9, 2010

While this school is a bit overcrowded (and would benefit from accepting fewer children outside the neighborhood) we have been happy here. We have a new principal coming next year and are very excited about the energy and ideas that she will bring to the school. I feel that my children's needs are being met. My son is given advanced work to meet his accelerated abilities. It is true that it can be a tough program for kids who transfer in from other places and who don't have the fundamental skills to keep up with the work. I understand that there is more homework given than at other CPS schools. I would advise the parent who feels that the school has 'ruined her son's life' to find a school that is a better fit for her son.

Posted April 26, 2010

Not at all impressed -this place has ruined my son's life- I feel like this should be a neighborhood school as opposed to a magnet as kids from the outside are not treated the same. They don't teach to all kids. They teach to the top and if your kid don't get it or can't hang oh well. Very spirit breaking for a 6 yr old.

Posted June 11, 2009

This school is terrific. No nonsense disipline, motivated teachers, fine principal. Very please with the education. These kids are learning more than across the street. The problem is the space, and lack of quality after school programs.

Posted December 19, 2008

The school needs alot of work, my son attends there and I feel the teachers do alot of work but are hindered in what they can do for the kids by the Principal, Mrs. Elena Savoy . In my opinion shes been rude to parents and kids alike. She appears to treat certain parents very rudely for no reason at all .

Posted December 19, 2008

We love this school! They make the children work hard and have high expectations, but our daughter has achieved things we could not have imagined and she is only in Kindergarten! Kudos to the excellent teachers and wonderful involved families.

Posted August 9, 2008

My daughter just finished kindergarten this past year. As a parent I am really proud of what she has accomplished. I am also very thankful to the great teachers and staff at Wildwood.

Posted July 28, 2008

My daughter is starting her third year at Wildwood this fall, having started in kindergarten. I have not found her teachers to be in any way lazy or unorganized. They do stress parent participation in a child's education. There are many parents who are very involved with the school. My child has homework that sometimes needs my supervision, but I'm glad to be able to see the progress she is making over the school year. I've talked to the principal many times, and found her very responsive. I feel lucky we moved into this school district.

Posted March 12, 2008

My son attended this school for three years, and it was the worst three years of our lives. The teachers are lazy, unorganized, and do not take discipline seriously. The administration, including the principal, is more concerned with paperwork than substance. The hype about this 'magnet' school is just that: made up by the staff to promote a sub-par school. Before you enroll your child, talk to a lot of parents to get an unbiased view of the school.

Posted August 1, 2007

Overall we're pleased with the school. The over crowding at the school remains a major problem. The parent involvement at the school is impressive although at times doesn't seem to be appreciated by the staff. The principal's leadership is some what low and lacks creative solutions to many of the problems the school faces. We still enjoy the school but would highly recommend that parents supplement their kid's education with some home or private tutoring.

Posted April 25, 2004

I currently have 3 children at Wildwood, and have another child who is a graduate of Wildwood's IB program. Recently Wildwood was rated one of Chicago's top 5 public grade school, and I understand why. Students are given the help they need to be successful (tutor, extra classes) teachers actually care about teaching (evidenced by teachers frequently 'checking in' with students and the availability of parent-teacher confernces), the presence of an IB program, and the Principal, Mrs. Elena Savoy provides good leadership and example (evidenced by her constant presence, approachability and the high student test scores on standardized exams). School activities are all student/family oriented -- a school band & orchestra, drama group, chess club, family movies in the gym, etc. Quality school.

Posted November 15, 2003

The Principal Ms. Savoy has created a very positive educational experience for all the students at Wildwood. The teachers, parents, and students all work together to make this a very special elementary school

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students82%

White92%
Not low income97%
Students without disabilities91%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students90%

White87%
Not low income87%
Students without disabilities93%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6950 North Hiawatha Avenue