Bad
Good

This school has improved much over the past 2 years. They have new, young, talented teachers a real mix of students, from many backgrounds and ethnicity. The school works hard, really hard. With regards to the lack of commitment and funding from the Chicago Public School (CPS), they are doing a fine job! They should be congratulated on their efforts!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Look, you get this everywhere, kids can be cruel to each other, but if you highlight the issues the head does take action and if you don't like it, the head will bring all parties to the table. Will they get rid of bullying for ever, no, but they do not tolerate the bullying ethic.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I have sent this first hand, they really seek to understand the students abilities, define their goals and develop plans and actions to accelerate their capabilities though dedicated resources and plans.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Yes, they are strong, the head is good, fair, direct and has a great leadership style (or appears to have), they all pull together to be effective.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I think that's what sums up this school, they instill, no matter the students desires or ambitions, that you get their through consideration for others, hard-work, integrity and compassion. In terms of respect, all students respect the school, what it stands for and what they stand for. I like their attitude!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I like the mix of teachers, there are some new teachers, who have really impressed me in Mathematics and in Languages, they are clear on their objectives, resolute on defining the outcomes for the students and are enthusiastic. The head does a great job in a school with a vast diversity of students from variable cultural and economic background. I give the staff 10 out of 10!

Amount of homework: Agree

They are committed to homework and it's very constructive, varied and engaging. Can be a little too much, but I like the mix of hands-on and cognitive work balance. It certainly builds on their curriculum and supports their grade levels.

Teachers work there only for the loan forgiveness. Not interested in the childrens education. Very poor school. They do not offer a variety of programs for children. No school sports.

This is an update from my last review. My daughter is currently enrolled at Lozano school. The teachers and aids are very friendly. They contact me for any issue with my child. At first this was kind of stressful for me because I was in the middle of working on placing my 3 year old in school and have another toddler at home as well as an 8 year old also in school. I'm not 100% sure just yet if this is the best placement for my daughter. She has a lot of special needs. Her behavior has gotten worse since she started school but that has happened before. The counselor ms. Aracely Montoya has been very helpful to my daughter and I. She is helping me find the resources that my child needs. I do not blame the staff they all do the best they can and are allowed to do. I wish that the board of Ed would be more helpful in helping children's with disabilities. We will see in the next few months what has been accomplished.

I will fight to have my son attend another school next year. He has autism and had been reading at his other school and reads at home. He is otherwise not verbal (communication-wise). His teacher has told me that he can't read so they don't want to push him. He's also having more tantrums than he's had before and he's banned from taking any more school trips (even with a parent). At another school at aged three he received homework at least twice a week. It's almost the end of the school year and he hasn't had homework even ONCE. To top that off, his speech therapist has been absent from EVERY IEP meeting he's had this year. When he has a tantrum, I'm called and told that they will call the police on me if I don't come and get him, as if I'm just a negligent parent. They're going to have to fight me to get him into this same school again. ALSO, CPS will NOT help you find a school that's best for your son. Last year my son didn't attend school for almost two months because it was MY responsibility to find a a school that even accepted autistic children, and when you call the neighborhood school they have NO IDEA which schools even accept autistic children.

Last modified Lozano Elementary Bilingual & Intl Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.