Chicago, IL

Inter-American Elementary Magnet School 2

Posted October 22, 2014
Extremely disappointed in this school. We hoped that the focus on language and culture would support a sense of community and identity that we feel so passionately about. Unfortunately there is little to no communication between school and families. The new principal only talks about discipline and excellence and other buzz words when you do hear from him, but his only communication since the second half of last year was to ask for money. Before starting this school, our kindergartner wrote and illustrated bilingual stories all the time using invented spelling and dictating that she would give as gifts. She sat with books sounding out words on her own, excited to learn. Now two years in this place and she won't try to read and has not written a single story for fear that she will "write the letters wrong." She has a calendar of homework that includes weekends! All work and no play has killed her joy of learning. She constantly talks at home about how she wishes school didn't exist. We stayed for the use of our language. But exclusive English speakers are balanced to bilingual students not exclusive Spanish speakers, so English is the dominant language among kids.

Posted October 22, 2014
IAMS was the perfect elementary school for my children.My oldest one got into Walter Payton HS and he is now a Senior in Archtecture at Carnegie Mellon University and works as an Assistant teacher in technology at CMU. My youngest got into to Lane Tech ( a terrible school based on test taking) but now is thriving at Global Citizenship Lab HS. She is a senior in HS and loves languages. Art and Sciences which she developed at IAMS and GCE. Both my kids are very proud of their language skills. Both speak Spanish and Portuguse with ease and the oldest also speaks French. The youngest learned Chinese ansd sign language. The creative, nurtering years at IAMS were very important for their solid formation as great young adults. Thank you IAMS!

Inter-American Elementary Magnet School 4

Posted August 22, 2014
If you want your children to learn Spanish and be a world citizen. This is the school for you. It's not perfect (what school is) but the parents care, are awesome, and the kids are even more fabulous. Read up on bilingual and learning two languages before you come. It's heavy on Spanish in younger grades (as research says it should be) and scores for the school will always be a little lower for 3rd grade due to testing inadequacies (standard tests only test one language) but all research says kids who are bilingual exceed in long term. There are some ignorant comments made in years past by parents who don't understand language acquisition. Most teachers are good and accessible but you do need. To be proactive if you think something isn't right or you don't understand.

Posted March 23, 2014
My son currently attends preschool at Inter-American and I couldn't be happier. He loves going to school and he really enjoys and takes pride in learning to speak Spanish. His classroom teachers are constantly doing fun, creative art projects and his confidence in his ability to draw and write has grown immensely. On top of all of the Spanish that he is learning, he has also learned his numbers, letters and letter sounds in English. I am amazed at how much he is learning in a half day program. The JCYS is partnered with the school and runs an excellent aftercare program that my son goes to which I really appreciate as a working parent.

Posted September 28, 2013
My son goes to pre-K at inter-American. My wife and I were concerned about all the normal school issues, combined with the language and cultural specifics as well. My son had the benefit of a wonderful baby sitter that is from Mexico, so his comprehension is already very high. We could not be happier. The sense of community and the level of professionalism and caring teachers is noticeable right away. We are completely impressed by the new principal and vice principal as well. He comes home singing songs in Spanish, corrects my Spanish as I am trying to catch up to him with Spanish language classes. I feel that we could not have made a better decision.

Posted September 20, 2013
This is so sad this lady passed up the chance for her child to go to such a great school. I have three children there and I could not be more proud to say I'm an IAMS parent. We are an English speaking home and my son's Spanish is perfect. This summer we did an immersion trip and everyone we came across couldn't believe how amazing my son's Spanish was. They couldn't believe he knew Spanish so well when my Spanish was so bad. We proudly said it was because of the school he went to in Chicago! We have turned down Blaine, Frankin, Hamilton and Newberry for IAMS. No other Chicago public school can do what IAMS does, especially for an English speaking family. The teachers are wonderful. Every one of my children have has this teacher, and she is a passionate wonderful teacher. My children are in a loving environment, that teachers children how to learn, not how to pass a test. It is a gem in Chicago!

Inter-American Elementary Magnet School 1

Posted August 27, 2013
My son speaks better Spanish than his pre-school teacher. We met her, realized she doesn't speak adequate Spanish to teach ANYONE and removed him from the school immediately. The new principal was unwilling to switch my son to the other classroom. What a huge disappointment!

Posted January 25, 2013
I am an alumna of this great school from which I graduated back in 1993. My first language when I entered this school was spanish and I learned English there, perfectly mind you. I was there from the time of pre-school to 8th grade when I graduated. I never had a problem, the teachers were great and pushed me to do and become my best. I graduated from a great university, UIUC and I know that had it not been for the fundamentals which I learned at IAMS I would not have gotten and been succesful in both high school and college. I have nothing but fond memories of my old grammar school though I attended the old building which is no longer in existence, but the heart and fundamentals of what it represents is still very intact from what I'm told. If any of the old teachers from my time are still there, I hope you are all doing well! Ms. Rivera, Mrs. Kahn, Mrs. Rubalcaba. I believe Ms. Bruno is the mom of one of my old classmates that I graduated with. This is a great school and if I still lived in Chicago, I wouldn't hesitate to send my son there.

Posted December 03, 2012
Inter-American is a beautiful school with very intelligent, sensitive and perceptive teachers. I am very impressed with the amount and quality of "specials" that my sons receive. This is a first rate school and I feel fortunate that bilingual education is available as a public school in Chicago. My children are very happy here. One thing that is important to me is the fact that they are proud to speak two languages - they have additional pride in their heritage - and appreciation and curiosity about people from all over the world.

Posted April 30, 2012
We have 2 kids at Inter-American and will definitely send our third there as well. I still can't believe that such a wonderful program exists in CPS! We absolutely love the immersion program and have been thrilled with the quality of the faculty's instruction. The principal, Dr. Vallez, is doing a fantastic job, and it has been great to be a part of such an active, inviting parent community.

Inter-American Elementary Magnet School
851 West Waveland Avenue, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Inter-American Elementary Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Inter-American Elementary Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 70 reviews. Top