Posted November 05, 2014
Teachers are engaged and really care about their students. They invite parents to como inside and get involved

Posted November 05, 2014
The teachers and staff at Murphy are committed and caring. They foster a positive learning environment and a strong community within the school.

Posted November 20, 2013
The parents, teachers, and administration at Murphy are caring, thoughtful people who genuinely work together to make the school an amazing part of our community, and a wonderful school for our neighborhood children. Anyone looking to raise kids in Chicago should seriously consider Murphy.

Posted April 16, 2013
Our family is blessed to be a part of John B Murphy School. Our children thrive emotionally, socially and academically by being a part of this school. They are truly a diamond in the ruff tucked away in a quiet residential neighborhood. I love the way they constantly reach out to the community and parents and offer free classes on a variety of subjects to the students entire family. Every staff member cares deeply about the children and their families and go beyond the call of duty for anyone. We love that Murphy School is a Fine Arts Magnet Cluster school! Our children have been exposed to so many awesome events, field trips and experiences that the average child will never see in their lifetime. Most importantly, I am comforted when I see the principal, vice principal, and volunteer parents standing on the sidewalks and around the school before and after school with their watchful eyes. Everyone works together to make sure there's a safe environment for the children and let's face it - that's a big concern today. The only negative thing about this school is that it only goes to 8th grade. Go Owls!

Posted July 04, 2012
This is our local school. I transferred my sons in grade 5 and 2 several years ago away from believe it or not, an unresponsive magnet school. I made the best decision of my life by going with my local John B. Murphy for both. They have now completed their elementary years and both tested into Taft Academic Centers for 7th and 8th grade. The teachers really see and teach the whole child, nurturing their talents, while addressing challenges. These teachers know and love their students. This is a student centered environment. I have other family living with us now leaving the suburban system, and we would only trust Murphy teachers to care for them. The principal and vice principal are the tops.

Posted June 15, 2012
I have two kids in Murphy school and they are the best. Principal and asst. principal are so involved with the kids. I have never seen the principals so involved in all the kids life like at Murphy. I might have to leave because of I'm not in the school district but I'm trying to fight it because the school is excellent. I also love that there is a diversity in race and I think that is very important.

Posted September 19, 2011
My daughter has attended Murphy for 3 years now and I absolutely love it. It truly stands by it's motto of "Caring Community". The principle and assistant know everyone by name and the families are very involved. It was the fine arts curriculum that interested me the most but it's the family atmosphere that keeps us there.

Posted May 03, 2010
Murphy School is a top notch school with incredible teachers who have helped to encourage our children to acheive great heights in academics as well as pushing their artistic envelope. I went to Murphy as a child and one thing that still rings true today is it's ability to confront advercity and to find creative solutions with the help and support of it's community. If we were to use social media outlets, like Facebook, as a measure of how much of a lasting impression Murphy has left on its Alumni, it could easily be seen how Murphy can be considered one of the best.

Posted March 20, 2010

Posted October 07, 2008
My son went to Murphy from kindergarden through the 6th grade. He had such a well rounded education at Murphy. And even performed at Ravinia on the Xylophone! He learned to play the guitar a little too! The Arts program cannot be beat! The three R's were also at the top of the list. He did have some problem with reading - the nightmare of any parent. And he got all the help I could ask for at that school. I loved every teacher that he had. The security person, the office people, the food servers, even the maintenance crew are wonderful. And the heads of the school are so dedicated to educating the children! My son left Murphy on the honor roll, a science fair winner and a wonderful citizen.

Murphy Elementary School
3539 West Grace Street, Chicago, IL  60618
Last modified Murphy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Murphy Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top