Chicago, IL

Posted August 18, 2015
I'm amazed at how much the teachers are doing for the children. My son attended kindergarten with Ms. Alvarado and her 2 assistants. He had a great time and has made a lot of progress in academics and behavior, and he kept saying he's going to miss his teacher. I think this school is great, the staff led by Mr. Mason are very supportive, and the parent-teacher partnership is there all thru out the year during my son's kindergarten. I would recommend this school and also recommended for more parents to get involve. I assisted for half a day and I can say that was a lot of work. The teachers definitely needs help. And if our vision is bring up good persons out of our children, we need to support our children's teachers. They invest a lot in our kids and they deserve the respect and support they can get.

Posted April 06, 2015
Murray is a terrific school. The school was rated Level 1+, the highest CPS rating a school can earn. The staff is nurturing and parent friendly. The parents are involved all aspects of the school. No school is perfect. Perfection is reached when all parties work together for the students. Aspects of perfection are visible at Murray. And there is still room for growth, no doubt. The school has hired some great new teachers in the middle school. I am still excited about this school, and its vision for improving learning for all students.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 4

Posted March 27, 2015
They do have 2 after school program options: Right at School and Nichols Park is attached to the school. Both the Principal and new Assistant Principal are very engaged with the school and the students. Everyone seems very responsive to challenges and I've seen many positive changes this year. The PTO and LSC are very informative and inclusive to all parent involvement.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 2

Posted March 26, 2015
Keep your child out of this school. The children act they are in a gang. They are disrespectful and violent. The rating in this school are not true their test scorches are down because all the A student are going to different school because the behavios and the violence in the school. Please keep your child out of this school... If the call you to enroll your child please decline.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted April 10, 2014
My daughter recently transferred into the 6th grade. I have to agree their is a behavior problem at this school. The assistant principal and principal are never around to address any of your concerns. I worry about my daughter safe here. There are no after school problems the teachers or principal monitor the kids after they are dismissed. There is a lot of favoritism by the assistant principal my daughter is being challenged but the behaviors with students and attitudes of the some of the teachers are extremely questionable. I just praying she can make through the school the next 2 years. I hope fully I will see improvements.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 2

Posted March 23, 2014
The Assistant principal at this school is the one that I see handling everything. She is a little to friendly with the staff and teachers so whenever you have a problem with one of them she does not say to much to them. There is nothing wrong with being friendly and nice to your staff but you have to let them know that you are not friends and are their superior. My experience with the school is the teachers don't like to call you. It takes them a while to email you and they are not to personable to the parents. Some of the staff are to worried about gossip between each other yet they are teaching the kids to be good students. You hear so many children cursing and talking about how they don't approve of their teachers. There are no afterschool programs and the programs that are offered you have to pay for. If some of these things were addressed this school would be so much better.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted December 08, 2013
I regret that I transferred my daughter to this school. There are major discipline issues here!

Posted November 28, 2013
Overall, a very good school academically. The school curriculum is solid, the student population is diverse. This is a K-8 foreign language magnet CPS school located in Hyde Park. The teachers are knowledgeable and principal is good. For a CPS school standard, Murray is a good safe, academically sound, school. They offer many sports & activities for the kids. Murray test scores remain high. So far, all our graduates have been selected to attend the top public selective enrollment high schools, noble network schools and private catholic high schools. My son is in his final year here and all nine years, here have been positive.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted November 25, 2013
THEY DO NOT HAVE SAFE CROSSINGS MISSING STOP SIGNS AND BUS PARKING IS ALLOWED OVER CROSS WALKS

Murray Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted October 18, 2013
Murray Language Academy is one of the best schools for students in grades pre-k to 4th, and then it becomes very problematic. The principal has made some questionable choices for faculty in the upper levels and not provided adequate mentoring for new faculty. Very Very disappointing.

Murray Elementary Language Academy
5335 South Kenwood Avenue, Chicago, IL  60615
Last modified Murray Elementary Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Murray Elementary Language Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top