Chicago, IL

Murray Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted April 10, 2014
My daughter recently transferred into the 6th grade. I have to agree their is a behavior problem at this school. The assistant principal and principal are never around to address any of your concerns. I worry about my daughter safe here. There are no after school problems the teachers or principal monitor the kids after they are dismissed. There is a lot of favoritism by the assistant principal my daughter is being challenged but the behaviors with students and attitudes of the some of the teachers are extremely questionable. I just praying she can make through the school the next 2 years. I hope fully I will see improvements.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 2

Posted March 23, 2014
The Assistant principal at this school is the one that I see handling everything. She is a little to friendly with the staff and teachers so whenever you have a problem with one of them she does not say to much to them. There is nothing wrong with being friendly and nice to your staff but you have to let them know that you are not friends and are their superior. My experience with the school is the teachers don't like to call you. It takes them a while to email you and they are not to personable to the parents. Some of the staff are to worried about gossip between each other yet they are teaching the kids to be good students. You hear so many children cursing and talking about how they don't approve of their teachers. There are no afterschool programs and the programs that are offered you have to pay for. If some of these things were addressed this school would be so much better.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted December 08, 2013
I regret that I transferred my daughter to this school. There are major discipline issues here!

Posted November 28, 2013
Overall, a very good school academically. The school curriculum is solid, the student population is diverse. This is a K-8 foreign language magnet CPS school located in Hyde Park. The teachers are knowledgeable and principal is good. For a CPS school standard, Murray is a good safe, academically sound, school. They offer many sports & activities for the kids. Murray test scores remain high. So far, all our graduates have been selected to attend the top public selective enrollment high schools, noble network schools and private catholic high schools. My son is in his final year here and all nine years, here have been positive.

Murray Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted November 25, 2013
THEY DO NOT HAVE SAFE CROSSINGS MISSING STOP SIGNS AND BUS PARKING IS ALLOWED OVER CROSS WALKS

Murray Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted October 18, 2013
Murray Language Academy is one of the best schools for students in grades pre-k to 4th, and then it becomes very problematic. The principal has made some questionable choices for faculty in the upper levels and not provided adequate mentoring for new faculty. Very Very disappointing.

Posted October 17, 2013
We have been at Murray from Kindergarten through 8th grade now. Murray is a wonderful family involved and family orientated school. Murray keeps you informed about everything going on in and out of the school. Murray has strived to offer the best education possible to ensure our kids are successful and prepared for onward movement. Like most schools, Murray has suffered due to budget constraints and has to cut back on educational tools and events. Although this is our last year at Murray, I would love to see such a dedicated school rewarded before we leave. "We are Murray and we are one!!"

Posted August 26, 2013
I am so excited that my granddaughter is starting kindergarten here! i love the language emphasis, the great reputation, the diversity and that her teacher received her training from the University of Chicago.

Posted November 21, 2012
Murray continues to improve. For starters, the 2011-12 ISAT composite rose from 88.9% to 90.2%, awarding the school a Level 1 rating of Excellence based on the current CPS Performance policy. (Much can be said constructively about the teaching community and its commitment to grow through improved instructional practices and curriculum improvements) Parent involvement has increased. 8th grade graduates were selected to CPS Selective high schools. (This was the first graduating class in 9 years) Murray was selected for a Jeep Commercial, showcasing its beautiful building. The school has received many capital improvements, including a technology infrastructure update. The World Language department has strong leadership. Misconducts have waned due to a new Behavior System of CHAMPS.

Posted May 09, 2012
Congratulations to our kindergarten teacher and Murray Language Academy. Our kindergarten teacher was just awarded the Golden Apple for Excellence in Teaching and it was personally presented to her by the Governor this morning. It is my understanding that the Governor had several schools to choose from, but chose Murray because of it's outstanding reputation in education. Kudos to the principal, your hard work and determination to keep excellent teachers at Murray has paid off! Perhaps the families that are moving on will be lucky enough to find schools with a Golden Apple recipient, 4 Golden Apple Nominees and 5 nationally board certified teachers.

Murray Elementary Language Academy
5335 South Kenwood Avenue, Chicago, IL  60615
Last modified Murray Elementary Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Murray Elementary Language Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top