Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school does a good job of instilling values and ethics into the kids lives

So far we have had a great experience with Jones College Prep. If your kid can get admitted to this school go for it.

I had two sons to attend Jones College Prep. One graduated in 2013 and the other in 2014. They both enjoyed the challenge the curriculum provided which prepared them for college. They are both on the Deans List and enjoying their college experience. Jones is an excellent multi-cultural school in a great safe location. I would definitely recommend the school to anyone. The principal and teachers are one of a kind.

I am a parent of a senior graduating in June 2014. My son feels Jones College Prep gave him more than he expected. He played two sports all four years, maintained a high gpa, scored high in the ACT and actually enjoyed his high school experience. The teachers kept his interest and the counselors were very helpful. Mr. Powers was a hands on principal. The location was great and my son felt safe and secure at this school. I highly recommend Jones College Prep as it prepared my son to get into the college he chose. He also gained more diverse friends and a more well-rounded experience.

l am a parent who is aspiring to get my child admitted into Jones College Prep High School. From information gathered so far and little interaction with School Administration, this is a multicultural, accommodating,student-centered and an excellent academic performing School l would recommend to any parent.

I am currently a freshman at Jones, class of 2017. I have to say that the school is not very rigorous and as competitive as other selective enrollment high schools. If you want to go to Jones, then it is really up to you whether you want to succeed and work with what you got when going to Jones. Yes, the school is welcoming and the teachers are willing to help. The teachers do give a load of homework based on the classes I am currently taking, so it takes me a good 3-4 hours completing my homework. The new building is great and the sport teams are all pretty good. For freshman year, I joined the Tennis team and got on varsity and we didn't do as well as we were capable of, but next year is going to be a big difference than freshman year! I am starting to really like the school, but I think the school needs to improve on rigor in academics even if most students do well based on their grades and exams.

In response to the Dec. 18th post, I say this: I am a freshman, class of 2017. Jones is great, I have adjusted well and have people I can consider my friends. The homework seems light, thanks to the Academic Lab at the end of the day. Jones has countless clubs and many sports teams, your son clearly isn't taking advantage of them. Jones is very laid back, and I feel very loyal to my school, Jones doesn't boast. The new building is clean and pristine, and there is loyalty and respect among all of the Classes. No complaints here, but your son clearly isn't trying, as there are six sport teams every season and countless clubs have flyers out. Don't like what you see in a club? Make your own with permission! Countless options are available.

Jones College Prep is the first CPS school to win the US Dept of Education's Blue Ribbon Award twice. The class of 2013 (200 students) were offered $33MM in college scholarships, and the most recent average ACT score was 26.5. The school is the most ethnically and economically diverse Selective Enrollment school in Chicago, and this year's freshman class hails from 169 different elementary schools and 63 zip codes. Located in the educational and culture corridor of the South Loop neighborhood, a new pre-law and pre-engineering CTE program is being offered this year. The new Perkins+Will LEED certified building will open to the students on Aug 26 after 10+ years in the planning, and its inspiring interior includes a gymnasium, auditorium/theatre, indoor pool, dance/wrestling studio, library, and giant atrium, all of which are available to the public on a rental basis. Dr. P Joseph Powers and his staff are phenomenal, and the teaching staff is unparalleled. Not only is the education experience superior, but the feeling of community among the students/faculty/parents is unique in a high school setting. Jones College Prep is truly a treasured jewel in the city of Chicago.

a nice high school with a multicultural environment.this building is state of the art.to sub and teach at jones is very hard because the kindness of the kids teachers never take off.very smart and advanced students at this school.

I certainly hope the new building changes things. While going through the CPS process of getting into one of the top high schools during 8th grade, the whole family picked Jones as their first choice. However, I am a disappointed parent. Whether it is the lack of clubs and sports teams, or the urban setting, Jones is missing is the rah-rah attitude for the school. kids don't hang out. They go to class and leave. My son is a sophmore and there has been minimal "College Days", so I am not seeing my son getting prepared for college. The homework load seems to be very light. He has always been an honor roll student throughout grammar school but is getting B's, C's and now D's, and it is not due to the material being too difficult. It is lack of interest and no action by the school. I have engaged the counseling department at Jones but no plan has been put in place to help my son. He has a twin brother who attends a different college prep, who has school loyalty and many, many friends. The number of friends does not determine the quality of the school, but he seems to be having a normal high school experience compared to his brother at Jones. I am disappointed, to say the least.

Last modified Jones College Prep High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.