Posted May 14, 2014
I am a parent of a senior graduating in June 2014. My son feels Jones College Prep gave him more than he expected. He played two sports all four years, maintained a high gpa, scored high in the ACT and actually enjoyed his high school experience. The teachers kept his interest and the counselors were very helpful. Mr. Powers was a hands on principal. The location was great and my son felt safe and secure at this school. I highly recommend Jones College Prep as it prepared my son to get into the college he chose. He also gained more diverse friends and a more well-rounded experience.

Posted April 30, 2014
l am a parent who is aspiring to get my child admitted into Jones College Prep High School. From information gathered so far and little interaction with School Administration, this is a multicultural, accommodating,student-centered and an excellent academic performing School l would recommend to any parent.

Jones College Prep High School 4

Posted January 01, 2014
I am currently a freshman at Jones, class of 2017. I have to say that the school is not very rigorous and as competitive as other selective enrollment high schools. If you want to go to Jones, then it is really up to you whether you want to succeed and work with what you got when going to Jones. Yes, the school is welcoming and the teachers are willing to help. The teachers do give a load of homework based on the classes I am currently taking, so it takes me a good 3-4 hours completing my homework. The new building is great and the sport teams are all pretty good. For freshman year, I joined the Tennis team and got on varsity and we didn't do as well as we were capable of, but next year is going to be a big difference than freshman year! I am starting to really like the school, but I think the school needs to improve on rigor in academics even if most students do well based on their grades and exams.

Posted December 18, 2013
In response to the Dec. 18th post, I say this: I am a freshman, class of 2017. Jones is great, I have adjusted well and have people I can consider my friends. The homework seems light, thanks to the Academic Lab at the end of the day. Jones has countless clubs and many sports teams, your son clearly isn't taking advantage of them. Jones is very laid back, and I feel very loyal to my school, Jones doesn't boast. The new building is clean and pristine, and there is loyalty and respect among all of the Classes. No complaints here, but your son clearly isn't trying, as there are six sport teams every season and countless clubs have flyers out. Don't like what you see in a club? Make your own with permission! Countless options are available.

Posted August 06, 2013
Jones College Prep is the first CPS school to win the US Dept of Education's Blue Ribbon Award twice. The class of 2013 (200 students) were offered $33MM in college scholarships, and the most recent average ACT score was 26.5. The school is the most ethnically and economically diverse Selective Enrollment school in Chicago, and this year's freshman class hails from 169 different elementary schools and 63 zip codes. Located in the educational and culture corridor of the South Loop neighborhood, a new pre-law and pre-engineering CTE program is being offered this year. The new Perkins+Will LEED certified building will open to the students on Aug 26 after 10+ years in the planning, and its inspiring interior includes a gymnasium, auditorium/theatre, indoor pool, dance/wrestling studio, library, and giant atrium, all of which are available to the public on a rental basis. Dr. P Joseph Powers and his staff are phenomenal, and the teaching staff is unparalleled. Not only is the education experience superior, but the feeling of community among the students/faculty/parents is unique in a high school setting. Jones College Prep is truly a treasured jewel in the city of Chicago.

Posted April 04, 2013
a nice high school with a multicultural environment.this building is state of the art.to sub and teach at jones is very hard because the kindness of the kids teachers never take off.very smart and advanced students at this school.

Jones College Prep High School 2

Posted December 18, 2012
I certainly hope the new building changes things. While going through the CPS process of getting into one of the top high schools during 8th grade, the whole family picked Jones as their first choice. However, I am a disappointed parent. Whether it is the lack of clubs and sports teams, or the urban setting, Jones is missing is the rah-rah attitude for the school. kids don't hang out. They go to class and leave. My son is a sophmore and there has been minimal "College Days", so I am not seeing my son getting prepared for college. The homework load seems to be very light. He has always been an honor roll student throughout grammar school but is getting B's, C's and now D's, and it is not due to the material being too difficult. It is lack of interest and no action by the school. I have engaged the counseling department at Jones but no plan has been put in place to help my son. He has a twin brother who attends a different college prep, who has school loyalty and many, many friends. The number of friends does not determine the quality of the school, but he seems to be having a normal high school experience compared to his brother at Jones. I am disappointed, to say the least.

Posted October 11, 2012
parent of a junior at Jones - this school has been the perfect fit for us. The classes are challenging and the teachers go out of their way to help kids. The teachers, led by an excellent principal inspire excellence and genuinely care about all students. We are very hopeful about the next step, our college opportunities, and feel well prepared. Location - fabulous, downtown commute and proximity to lake, parks, library, museums and water tower all play into the student lifestyle. We were very fortunate to have this opportunity.

Jones College Prep High School 1

Posted June 23, 2011
Jones College Prep however does not really make students prepare to College. To me, it is like high school without any college prep method. Many students on other schools got accepted to top college and recieve scholarship when they take IB courses. For example, I heard that students @ (Curie Metro High School) has a high graduation percentage and got accepted to TOP universities when they take IB courses. So jones is not the only one that got accepted to good college however.

Posted June 03, 2011
This comment is in response to the student review of May 24, 2011. I am also a freshman at Jones and it is an incredible place which offers a wonderful high school experience. Based on my grades in elementary school and scores on the ISATS I could have definitely gotten into at least Whitney Young but choose Jones as #1 since I had shadowed here and looked at all aspects of their academics. It is difficult to hate its "easy academics" when they have the same math program as Northside Prep, so if you are really that bored of school then you should be in math3 which is plenty of a push/challenge for me. Teachers at Jones don't have any problem controlling their classes BECAUSE they are lenient and earn the respect of students. By the way, that's the first time I've seen someone complain about not being punished. However, you were correct in saying that teachers cater to confused students which is one of the best aspects of this school! No matter what your problem is the teachers will make themselves available at virtually any time to help you prepare. They never leave anyone behind because we don't have a six floor building to accompany the 10 people getting straight A's.

Jones College Prep High School
700 South State Street, Chicago, IL  60605
Last modified Jones College Prep High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jones College Prep High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews.