Norwood Park Elementary School

Public | PK-8

Posted February 13, 2014

I agree that the student growth scores for math on the NWEA MAP test for Norwood Park are worrisome (cps.edu). But this is a new test and I've heard from the administration at the principal's coffee and the LSC meetings that improving the math program is a top priority. Let's hope that rings true. It's sad that so many families feel no sense of community and a lack of culture and climate, but we're all in this together. We all chose Norwood Park and now is the time to work together as a team (both parents and admin) to make it the great school that I've heard so much about. There were five parents at the last LSC meeting, all from the same 1st grade class. Let's show up and show we care about making sure Norwood Park is on track for improvement and not more decline. Complaining about how much it's gone downhill won't get us anywhere. Getting involved and creating a real sense of community can only help.

Posted February 13, 2014

We love Norwood Park school! The class sizes are small and there is a steady stream of communication between the school and families. One thing they could improve would be the price of the after school program. It is a nice program but way too expensive.

Posted February 8, 2014

I love Norwood Park. It has been my home school and neighborhood for over 15 years. Please DON'T trust these reviews. Go to CPS.EDU and search for Norwood Park there. You will then see for yourself on the School's Progress Report that scores are plummeting (also evaluate cut scores from other neighboring schools that NP has been compared to for decades like Edgebrook and Oriole Park). The school's Culture and Climate are substandard (compared to other neighboring schools as well) and that is a DIRECT survey done by parents during report card pick up and not by plants. In other words, not the same handful of people (including senior office administration) hiding behind multiple aliases leaving reviews on this site to cover up what is really going on by trying to increase ratings on this site by scoring it high. It is pure deception which is why I am referring readers to the other site that can't be manipulated by interested parties. BTW your ploy doesn't fool me or a lot of the other parents that have been around for a lot longer than you!

Posted February 6, 2014

We are very happy with NPS and even we are family from outside of the boundary, NPS wasn't our rescue school. We go in to famous magnet school and still choose NPS over the other school because of the quality of education that NPS offer. To previous poster, if you are so unhappy with NPS just leave. There is plenty people who will be appreciate if they will have an extra chance to get to this school.

Posted February 6, 2014

Norwood Park Elementary has been a terrific school for our son. We have been given wonderful attention and support from the moment we walked in. Our son has autism and the school has done tremendous work to accommodate his needs, craft an education plan that works for him and create a support network within the school. His teacher and the school's staff have been exemplary. Our son has made great progress and we feel the school has done a wonderful job to support us as a family. In addition to the outstanding staff, the school building itself has always been very nice and well-maintained, it is not overcrowded and there is a lovely sense of community. We are so pleased to have him in this school. It is a shining example of caring, nurturing public education.

Posted February 5, 2014

I m sure these reviewers coming from out of the area love NP. They were rescued from their own neighborhood school. But beware, plummeting MATH scores, an OVER RELIANCE on computer programs at home to teach, and an UNWELCOMING attitude if you bring up something you don t agree with abound at this place! Someone wrote someone needed to be dropped and good for NP ?! How very sad for this bullying philosophy. How about actually taking other people s opinions in consideration? Also, whoever wrote about arrests in Chicago and safety of this school vs other schools in the city has got to be kidding! If that is where you set your bar for your kids school and that s what makes you happy then NP must be a utopia, but I have higher expectations for how my child is EDUCATED and TAUGHT. I can say this place falls WAY below my bar and many others I know. And I m not talking about singing songs in Kindergarten. The review about kids in high school not being prepared is spot on.

Posted February 5, 2014

I am so thankful for the computer work the students do at home to reinforce what they are learning at school as well as chart the students' progress!

Posted December 13, 2013

My boy is also in Kindergarten. We live out of the district. My boy had his first birthday party and everyone was very kind. Truth is NP is an excellent school with excellent leadership, teaching and scores. More importantly, it is SAFE! Think about safety in this city today. This school only had one suspension last year. Zero arrests. Compare that to other schools. If you look at some of the earlier negative comments on this website, they are suspiciously made back to back and focused on attacking the administration. My guess is that someone that needed to get to be dropped, a parent or a teacher, was dropped. I say good for NP.

Posted December 12, 2013

My child attends Norwood Park as an out-of-area student and we are thrilled with it so far. His kindergarten teacher is a real pro who has the kids busy playing, reading, dancing, singing...you name it. They are learning and having fun doing it. My son has Spanish twice per week, along with music, P.E., and library. In response to a comment I just read here - no has ever made us feel unwelcome for not living in the neighborhood. We have been to a lot of school events this year and the other families have all been friendly and welcoming.

Posted December 12, 2013

My son has had a fantastic experience at Norwood. The class sizes are small and the children really get one-on-one attention. The PTA is active and always planning fun activities for families. There is an excellent aftercare program provided by the Leaning Tower YMCA. We are very happy with the school and the teachers.

Posted November 21, 2013

Norwood Park School has become the most ideal school that I could ever have the honor of sending my child to. The community, teachers, and administrative leadership work together in making this school a top school in Chicago. I like the emphasis on the social curriculum and the emphasis on organization. I am surprised to see the negative comments from parents. School is a huge part of a child s sense of community. We as parents need to work together and be involved in our children s school. This responsibility should not only be on the faculty. Family and parents should also be involved and work together to achieve a common goal, which is the success of our children.

Posted September 16, 2013

I transferred my child out of Norwood Park. We were accepted to Norwood as an out of district family, meaning my child was filling in an extra seat in the classroom but we did not live in the school boundaries (although not far). I was reminded constantly by the parents that I was an put of district family and I was taking resources from the school. My child was picked on by the other children and made to feel different because my child was out of district. When I addressed my concerns with the principal I was told that I would have to speak up to the parents myself to try to change the admitted unhealthy culture, and this was with the principal knowing about not only verbal but physical situations my child was involved in. Norwoood has the resources to be a great school however, if you are not from the neighborhood you are not welcomed. I had to chose between the academics and the mental safety for my child and I chose the latter and we transferred to a different school. If I felt any kind of support from the staff on a willingness to work on the unhealthy culture I might have stayed. After 3 weeks of school we are much happier at our new school.

Posted September 8, 2013

I love Norwood Park School. We have a great community of parents who will do whatever necessary to assist teachers and other students. Parents are kind and friendly and supportive. My kids have made great friends here. Kids come from great families so they are learning and working hard at home and school. I like the emphasis the school has put on helping kids get organized as this will make a difference as they advance their education. The teachers are awesome!! They do a great job with my children and communicate effectively whenever there is a problem. They are true professionals and take their job very seriously. I am grateful that our children attend NPS.

Posted August 24, 2013

As the parent of a recent graduate, I'm thrilled to be out of NPS. My child is in no way prepared for high school. Circle time in middle school? Come on! Hopeful that the LSC will step up and realize they are the principal's boss and require exceptional performance from the principal.

Posted August 13, 2013

Norwood Park is an amazing school. The teachers are top notch educators who challenge my chlld and provide me with a wealth of infomation about my chlld academic and social performance. The principal and assistant principal are accessible to students and parents. My child is thriving at Norwood and we are looking forward to 1st grade. I am an involved parent. I attend meetings at the school so that I am informed. I do not listen to playground gossip, if I have a question I call the principal or assistant principal and ask. I have never had a problem with communication from the school, but I am proactive. I know for a fact that there is music and art at this school as I attend meetings. I feel that Norwood Park is a school that is making progress and I am proud to send my child there. I would love to hear from more parents who are thrilled that their child is enrolled at Norwood- I know you are out there. Speak up -have some pride in your school!!!

Posted June 24, 2013

No art. No music. No technology teacher. No librarian. All the kids do is test, test, test. Some teachers are compassionate and friendly. Administration is not responsive and not empathetic to kids. Too much turmoil with staff and administration and parents. Not a fun place for kids or teachers.

Posted October 15, 2012

I do so hope it's like Prescott. Their numbers keep going up and up and up and up...If you don't like it you should leave. Your negativity helps no one.

Posted August 29, 2012

State of the school? The population has decreased dramatically in size due to parents leaving and pulling their children out. Below grade level on a newly introduced assessment to the school that had never been given previously. Miraculously, almost all of the students gained two plus years in less than a school year. The beloved principal supported a wonderful staff instead of running them out. Bullying, intimidation, and self absorbtion is not integrity.

Posted August 18, 2012

Norwood Park School WAS an excellent/wonderful/amazing school. With the recent mass exodus of teachers, administration, students, and families moving out of the neighborhood because of the decisions of principal, I have to wonder if some of these other reviews are from people wearing rose colored glasses or from the principal herself. Change is fine but there is rarely success in turnover just more turnover. She has proven that she can fire and torment people until they leave, but she has yet to prove that she can retain a great teacher. I wish we had a principal that cared more about children, than advancing her own career.

Posted August 18, 2012

Since the new principal has come to Norwaood Park Elementary the atmosphere at the school is not the same. My youngest child is starting third grade in a school that is no longer the "great neighborhood school" that it had been for the past 10 years that I have had children there. Private schools are starting to look like a better option although I hate to do that to my third grader who had great experiences with the first and second grade teachers (who are no longer there). It may just be better in the long run. I sure hope that CPS board members take notice and see that teachers make the biggest impact on children and when a principal can't make decisions that are in the best interest of the kids, then the whole school/community suffers.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students65%

White70%
Not low income73%
Students without disabilities82%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students93%

White93%
Not low income94%
Students without disabilities97%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Band

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5900 North Nina Avenue