Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted April 23, 2016
Originally this was a great school. The teachers and the principal were all fantastic at their jobs and regularly expressed their enthusiasm towards teaching. When we got the new principal, everything went downhill. All the good teachers would either quit or were fired. Whenever we got a new teacher that actually cared about their job, they were fired within a year. The principal is extremely rude to the students, teachers, and even the parents. There are very few of the original teachers left, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided leave the school soon. I have wonderful memories from the time before we got the new principal. I am amazed at how bad things have gotten. It is an unhealthy environment for children and teachers, and I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Posted November 23, 2015
The administration bullies teachers and parents. Not a welcoming place. Too much turnover. Many teachers keep leaving every year.

Posted October 01, 2014
this school has everything I wanted for my son, teachers are great, parents are friendly and involved most of all my son is being challenge !!!

Norwood Park Elementary School 3

Posted February 13, 2014
I agree that the student growth scores for math on the NWEA MAP test for Norwood Park are worrisome (cps.edu). But this is a new test and I've heard from the administration at the principal's coffee and the LSC meetings that improving the math program is a top priority. Let's hope that rings true. It's sad that so many families feel no sense of community and a lack of culture and climate, but we're all in this together. We all chose Norwood Park and now is the time to work together as a team (both parents and admin) to make it the great school that I've heard so much about. There were five parents at the last LSC meeting, all from the same 1st grade class. Let's show up and show we care about making sure Norwood Park is on track for improvement and not more decline. Complaining about how much it's gone downhill won't get us anywhere. Getting involved and creating a real sense of community can only help.

Posted February 13, 2014
We love Norwood Park school! The class sizes are small and there is a steady stream of communication between the school and families. One thing they could improve would be the price of the after school program. It is a nice program but way too expensive.

Posted February 08, 2014
I love Norwood Park. It has been my home school and neighborhood for over 15 years. Please DON'T trust these reviews. Go to CPS.EDU and search for Norwood Park there. You will then see for yourself on the School's Progress Report that scores are plummeting (also evaluate cut scores from other neighboring schools that NP has been compared to for decades like Edgebrook and Oriole Park). The school's Culture and Climate are substandard (compared to other neighboring schools as well) and that is a DIRECT survey done by parents during report card pick up and not by plants. In other words, not the same handful of people (including senior office administration) hiding behind multiple aliases leaving reviews on this site to cover up what is really going on by trying to increase ratings on this site by scoring it high. It is pure deception which is why I am referring readers to the other site that can't be manipulated by interested parties. BTW your ploy doesn't fool me or a lot of the other parents that have been around for a lot longer than you!

Posted February 06, 2014
We are very happy with NPS and even we are family from outside of the boundary, NPS wasn't our rescue school. We go in to famous magnet school and still choose NPS over the other school because of the quality of education that NPS offer. To previous poster, if you are so unhappy with NPS just leave. There is plenty people who will be appreciate if they will have an extra chance to get to this school.

Posted February 06, 2014
Norwood Park Elementary has been a terrific school for our son. We have been given wonderful attention and support from the moment we walked in. Our son has autism and the school has done tremendous work to accommodate his needs, craft an education plan that works for him and create a support network within the school. His teacher and the school's staff have been exemplary. Our son has made great progress and we feel the school has done a wonderful job to support us as a family. In addition to the outstanding staff, the school building itself has always been very nice and well-maintained, it is not overcrowded and there is a lovely sense of community. We are so pleased to have him in this school. It is a shining example of caring, nurturing public education.

Posted February 05, 2014
I m sure these reviewers coming from out of the area love NP. They were rescued from their own neighborhood school. But beware, plummeting MATH scores, an OVER RELIANCE on computer programs at home to teach, and an UNWELCOMING attitude if you bring up something you don t agree with abound at this place! Someone wrote someone needed to be dropped and good for NP ?! How very sad for this bullying philosophy. How about actually taking other people s opinions in consideration? Also, whoever wrote about arrests in Chicago and safety of this school vs other schools in the city has got to be kidding! If that is where you set your bar for your kids school and that s what makes you happy then NP must be a utopia, but I have higher expectations for how my child is EDUCATED and TAUGHT. I can say this place falls WAY below my bar and many others I know. And I m not talking about singing songs in Kindergarten. The review about kids in high school not being prepared is spot on.

Posted February 05, 2014
I am so thankful for the computer work the students do at home to reinforce what they are learning at school as well as chart the students' progress!

Norwood Park Elementary School
5900 North Nina Avenue, Chicago, IL  60631
Last modified Norwood Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.