Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Onahan Elementary School 2

Posted February 01, 2016
Thie school needs new leadership, the principal seems to be uninvolved and there is a lack of communication. The lower grade curriculum is great but in sixth and up, it's all downhill.

Onahan Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted September 22, 2015
A kindergarten teacher seems to favor the girls and is hard on the boys. Treating children unfairly because of gender is completely unacceptable.

Posted September 22, 2015
Principal involvement is less than average. Diversity, what diversity? If you think this school is the best, it is because you have nto experienced better public schools elsewhere. And this is a good school compared to many others in Chicago. Also, front desk workers are mean to students and gossipy.

Posted December 03, 2014
Our kids are doing well here. We have never had a problem with any of the teachers, except the insurmountable amount of homework that comes home. We are also are considered "uninvolved" parents as explained in last post. Since we both work full time we cannot attend 3pm meetings and would have to take off work to help with most of the school functions. We save our days off for when our children are sick and holidays. That last post makes me mad because it is the tone felt at the school, the parents that are involved are better and so are their children. And since we cannot attend meetings we can't even keep up to date on things either because PTO nor the LSC post minutes---which we find inexcusable. School should focus more and reaching out to parents, better communication and treating everyone equally.

Onahan Elementary School 5

Posted November 04, 2014
Onahan is a great school. There is a real sense of community among parents. I have had issues and the administration worked with me to resolve them. my older kids were very well prepared for HS honors classes and HS athletics after graduating and my younger one loves classes and her teachers. The biggest problem at Onahan is the very few unhappy parents who are completely uninvolved in the school and complain publicly rather than become a part of the solution. The majority of parents that are involved and go to meetings, and know what is happening inside the school are happy. At any school, you need to be involved to get the best out of it for your kids.

Posted November 02, 2014
principal is terrible. she cannot mange this large school. If you like 33-35 kids in the class, disorganization, yelling and monotonous homework, you will like it here.

Posted April 21, 2014
I was a student at Onahan, I loved every minute i spent at the school until 7th grade. The teachers were unbelievably dedicated and friendly. The 7th and 8th grade teachers however need some work. There are some good teachers but not nearly as many as there should be. They are lazy, unorganized and not dedicated to giving their students a valuable education. I do not feel like I learned nearly as much as i should have in 7th and 8th grade. I wanted to leave the school satisfied with my education but i was not.

Onahan Elementary School 5

Posted February 17, 2014
Onahan is a great school! We have dedicated teachers that volunteer their time after school for our school play, basketball, volleyball, football, softball, rocket club, girls on the run, chess club, girl scouts, spring dance, science club, solar car, talent show, homework club, student council etc. We have such dedicated parents that volunteer so much of their free time to run for LSC and PTA and run school programs. Our Principal and LSC fight for our school and anyone that does not see that does not attend LSC meetings. At the parent run silent auction we raised enough money to fully stock our new computer lab, we have ipads on carts the teachers use everyday and now we will have our second computer lab fully stocked in the next month. The PTA "out of uniform days" are raising enough money to buy new state of the art science lab tables. This is a great community school - PTA have numerous volunteer opportunities throughout the year so you can be part of the school. LSC work very hard behind the scenes and they have an open forum at every meeting where we can address any of our concerns.

Onahan Elementary School 2

Posted February 04, 2014
I was happy with Onahan k-5 but its teachering is much lacking for 6-8. New leadership is much needed. All I have seen this year is lazy uncaring principal and junior high teachers. My kids for the first time hate school so much they not only do what they can to stay home but want to transfer. It's so heartbreaking. Can't wait to get out.

Onahan Elementary School 4

Posted February 04, 2014
I'd like to start off by saying that no school is perfect. Onahan certainly had its flaws, but it was a second home to me throughout the years. I knew almost everyone there, and almost everyone knew me as well. As a former Onahan student, I thoroughly believe that what you put in is what you get out. It depends entirely on the student and whether or not they are willing to put in the effort required to succeed at this school. The staff may not be great and it may not be the best school, but I felt prepared as I entered high school and never found myself wishing I went somewhere better.

Onahan Elementary School
6634 West Raven Street, Chicago, IL  60631
Last modified Onahan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.