Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 10, 2015
During the 2014-2015 year, my son's first grade teacher was awesome. She had high expectations. Sometimes I though she was too tough on "ending marks" (smile). But I know that she wanted the best for my child and I respect that.

Posted September 10, 2015
I was a new parent at Owen during the 2014-2015 year. My son was new and he fit right in. Mrs. Bailey is awesome. I could email her and vice versa with any concerns, being a new parent. I must say that the staff and teachers work really hard to make sure the students are the best of the best. I am a very involved parent and I see a lot of parents working together helping the children and one another. I saw an immediate difference in the professionalism of the Owen staff verses the school my son previously attended. It was a difference in the curriculum and I was very pleased. This school year I will have 2 children attending Owen and I am so excited and confident that Dr. Griggs and Mrs. Morris, staff and myself will help them soar. I feel as if we are all on the same team with the same goal, being the Best of the Best.

Posted April 27, 2015
When my daughter got sick last year and I had to take a leave of absence from my job, I didn't know how I was going to support myself and my 2 young children. Mrs. Morris and Dr. Griggs stepped up and employed the help of the entire Owen family! Parent, students, educators and staff alike ALL came to my aide! From toy drives all the way up to a nationally televised assembly in my daughter's honor. The OSA family came together! It baffles me there's someone on the face of this planet who would fix their lips to say this school falls short of anything less than their motto "The best of the BEST!" So, please don't be mislead by the comments few who have formed negative opinions based on an isolated incident. Which in itself is childish. If you are looking for a school where the principal, vice principal and staff collectively demand the students strive and do their best everyday...send your child to Owen. If you want your child to learn in an environment where compassion and respect are enforced...send your child to Owen! If you don't mind your child receiving the BEST of the BEST style education delivered by the BEST of the BEST...send your child to Owen! I'm glad I did!!

Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy 4

Posted March 19, 2015
I absolutely love Owen Elementary! It is small and the teachers seem to know all the students. Mrs Morris was a teacher when my son attended... she was grrreat!!! and so was Mrs O'Connor.... SHOUT OUT TO A GREAT SCHOOL: Owen Elementary

Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy 1

Posted March 17, 2015
My child doesn't feel comfortable at this school either, along with a lot of other kids and parents. There have been many kids who have transferred out due to the new administration. This is my child eight year at Owen public school. Since Mrs. Morris became the Vice Principle, the staff have been very bias towards the boys at the school. The school environment has changed drastically for the worst since she became the Vice Principle. The staff doesn't work together as a community school and the students this year are suffering at the hands of the misguided leaders. This is the first time the school will not have a eight grade graduation trip due to the way things are handle there at the school. The administration does not seem to value education in all areas. I would advise you to think twice before sending your kids to Owen.

Posted July 25, 2014
My son attend Owen School four years and will be in the 3rd grade this fall. My son loves this school and want to stay until graduate from 8th grade. The school has a great staff. The teachers works with the kids and do a great job. I love the part they encourage kids to read and record their minutes on reading log sheet. The end of school year rewards the children. The school is always neat and clean. The school teach the children how to get along with each other. I have never seen kids fighting in the classroom or outside. Dr.Griggs is the Principal and Mrs. Morris is the Assistant Principal they cares about the children education. The parents are great they always involve with children education. The school is on level 1 reading and math as scores are very high. When the children graduate from this school goes to top high school in Chicago. I love this school and will always support th his school. You looking for a great school this is best school on the south side of Chicago.

Posted January 19, 2014
I started off at this school back in 4th grade. As of right now, I am a freshman in high school. This school has taught, educated, and trained me to prepare me for the world of high school. The teachers and students have respect for one another. The most favorite thing I remember about the school is being the best of the best. I transferred when I was about to go to eighth grade, and I truly regret the decision. The school has bed faculty, and I hope they adapt to the new environment, teach the kids, and care for them. Owen Scholastic Academy's students, staff, faculty, and administration are BETTER THAN THE BEST OF THE BEST!

Posted November 09, 2013
The BEST of The BEST..is truly an accurate statement about this school! My child started here im second grade and have done well ever since. He is now a freshman at UIC College Prep and doing well. My eldest graduated from here also and is now a senior at Lindblom Math & Science Academy. I know I owe their success to Owen Academy. My children learned to take their academics seriously while at Owen and that stayed with them ever since. Thank you staff of Owen for making this such a great public school. This is truly an awesome learning environment.

Posted July 14, 2013
This is an awesome school that focuses on academics and improvements. I love the sense of community at Owen. This school has awesome parent participation and volunteers. The Principal and Assistant principal work well together. The students confess everyday, "We are the BEST of the BEST". You can tell this in the way that they dress. They are held at a higher standard of dress code. There are no sagging pants. The children are taught to carry themselves with pride. The students strive hard and are held at a greater level of expectation. You always feel like family. The male mentorship program here is very strong. I love this school!

Posted June 07, 2012
This is one great school. My son who has Autism use to attend John C. Dore and they said that he would never learn math, well I am here to tell you that at Owens he has. It only took a few months and he has really started to shine. Also I can now be a parent and not have to go yelling and screaming everyday like at Dore. I don't know how they do it, but keep it up staff, me and my wife love you all!!!!

Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy
8247 South Christiana Avenue, Chicago, IL  60652
Last modified Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Owen Elementary Scholastic Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top