Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Prussing Elementary School 4

Posted September 15, 2015
Dr Chipain is the new Principal at Prussing Elementary. As a first time mother at Prussing (my son is in firstgrade), I am really looking forward to the positive contributions that we trust Dr. Chipain will bring to this community. My son has so far adjusted well, though it's still too early to tell. I can appreciate the diversity in the classrooms and like that the environment at Prussing is not like your "typical" public school in the sense that at Prussing, you can see many families make an effort to be involved in their child's academic career. I also like that Prussing has strict rules about dress code, make-up and overall attire. With that being said, I have seen a boy or two with longer hairstyles that I do not think are appropriate in any grammar school setting; but this really falls on the parents.Parents: There's absolutely nothing cute about making your child look like a little street kid. Seriously, you want respect? Then look respectable. Other than that, kids seem like they come from caring and loving households with the same goal in mind: a good quality education. Back to the new principal, I like that he is very personable and really makes an effort to interact with students and families. I am very confident in his ability to lead the school in the right direction. His past experience at a top performing magnet school will help build on the overall academic performance at Prussing. There are already plans to initiate an after school program and we are looking forward to great things ahead. I am overall satisfied with the school and staff. Another plus, the ladies at the front desk are delightful and efficient. When I first inquired about the school, being that my son was a transfer student from a small school; the lady at the front desk (sorry ,can't think of her name), was very helpful and patient and answered all my questions/concerns. It's nice to see the pride that people take in their jobs. Prussing is a top rated school with dedicated staff and I firmly believe that it will continue to trend in the right direction.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted September 15, 2015
Thank you to the nice lady at the front desk who helped us transition from a small private school. Very patient and efficient.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted September 15, 2015
Strict dress code, though I'd like to see stiffer rules about hairstyles in boys. It's simply about respect to your child and the impression you want him to give.

Prussing Elementary School 2

Posted January 12, 2013
i really like the school and the teachers are great.the staff in the office is very nice to the students to> but my one concern is the vice princibal and the princibal. They are always looking for ways to get the kids in trouble.Ever since we got a new vice princibal two years ago there have been thousands of detentions and suspentions.She and the princible need to be replaced.

Posted April 29, 2012
My daughter went to this school when she was in 2nd and 3rd grade. She had to move to many different schools every 2 years because of living arrangements and I hated this one the most. The teachers used to embarrass her in front of her classmates making her feel unintelligent as the rest of them. They literally would make her feel discouraged and did not care for the people they didn't like or were bothersome. She was little at this time and did not realize that they were not treating her properly until I transferred her to another school and remembered how her previous school before Prussing treated her. They offered piano lessons during class. The piano teacher would pinch my daughter's classmates and her spine because they weren't sitting straight enough. All she learned from that piano teacher were the main keys C, D, E, F, G for 3 weeks. It was a waste of money! My daughter got a detention for having too many tissues in her desk and that her desk was messy. Therefore, they felt it was right to move her desk away from her classmates and onto the center of the classroom crying as they tilted and dumped everything inside her desk on the floor in front of everyone in her class.

Posted December 02, 2011
1st year here, but before i brought my daughter to this school i heard & read negative remarks about itl. 1st day of school wrong info & paperwork were given. Its fine, things happe., 2nd day i went to office for paperwork & question regarding medications, place looked unorganized as staff. The teacher she has now is great, easy to talk to & personable. Office members,something else. Not all, just some.They are rude, act as if you're a bother, sometimes act as if they dont see you waiting. I've seen principal several times & doesnt seem friendly no eye contact or present himself. I helped out at Fall Festival (i loved) a Deputy Sheriff walked towards me (my husband) & so did principal thinking something was wrong. I work in Pediatrics for 7 plus yrs. When a client/patient walks in they are always to be greeted & asked if help is needed. This school does not offer that Mannerism. Last straw for me might be when a staff member came out of office being loud through hallway walked up to me as i was speaking to another staff member regarding reviews on this school, stating she didnt/doesnt like my tone when i come in the school. Really?! I come to find out it was the OFFICE MANAGER!!!

Prussing Elementary School 2

Posted April 15, 2011
This is our first year at this school and I am truly disappointed. First of all there is no communication between anyone. Trying to find out what is going on either in the class room or with the school is like pulling teeth. There is a monthly news letter, and that does not contain any information worth while. I went to a PTO meeting and it was a very disturbing display. If I could afford to send my children to the closest catholic school I would. I have had numerous conferences with the teacher and she is a wonderful person and is willing to do anything to help out. It really more the principle that I have a problem with. He is rude arrogant and need to be removed from the school. He says that his best interest is the kids, but I believe he is more interested in what goes in his pocket and at the front of his name. I tried to e-mail him and he does not put an email address on the web-page. Aren't principles suppose to be accessible to the parents. I guess he doesn't want us to contact him with our concerns. Parents if you have kids at this school please help us get him out!

Prussing Elementary School 4

Posted April 05, 2011
This is in response to the parent who wrote this school is a dump. I think it's very sad that they would leave their children in a dump for 4 years. My mother once said, "If it seems like the whole world is wrong, you should probably look once again at yourself."

Prussing Elementary School 5

Posted April 05, 2011
I think it's sad to have taken the time to craft this rant when, clearly, you have personal issues best addressed in person and not on a community post. The only thing your poor children are suffering from is your inability to cope, move, communicate effectively to end the "nightmare" or find a solution that doesn't involve slander. The staff at Prussing is professional, helpful and doing the best they possibly can. Constructive criticism is one thing, rambling rants are really unproductive.

Posted April 04, 2011
This school is a total nightmare!!!! My children have been in this dump unfortunately 4 years now due to being in area & not having much of a choice right now. My poor children have been suffering the consequences due this school's unprofessionalism and ignorance! For the record the principal of this school is rude & is totally unqualified for this job if you ask me because he can care less of the kids' education/well being or even the parents for that matter. As for his office staff they are all a total joke & should not be working with children either. Finally, as far as the teachers go I wouldn't say they are all bad, but yes, there is a BIG percentage that are absolutely awful. So please parents beware...if you are deciding to move into this area for this school I would definitely think twice about it for your children sake.

4650 North Menard Ave, Chicago, IL  60630
Last modified Prussing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.