Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

Posted December 03, 2014
The staff is extremely friendly and always ready to help in any way. Parents are so involved in activities, as well as the school makes sure to have us well informed. The principal is so attentive with his students as as with the parents.

Posted September 28, 2014
Wonderful school- deeply committed to students and families. My oldest son graduated from Ravenswood and was very prepared for Honors level classes. My youngest still attends and has made huge improvements- especially with Mr. Garcia- who is a WONFERFUL EDUCATOR.

Posted September 11, 2014
Ravenswood is definitely getting better and better each year. A great neighborhood school for our kids, they love it!

Posted June 24, 2014
We have two children at Ravenswood and couldn't be happier. When my son was struggling with reading comprehension, his teacher identified it right away. She reached out to me, explained her observations, outlined a strategy for us to work together at school and at home, and kept in touch with me regularly to compare observations and adjust our approach. Sure enough, his year-end assessments demonstrated amazing growth. I am convinced this happened because of Ravenswood's top-notch staff, the school's commitment to smaller class sizes and their "balanced literacy" approach to differentiated instruction. In addition, Ravenswood also offers an amazing arts integration program, inquiry-based learning, and employs the Positive Discipline model. The new playground and outdoor campus that will be built this summer (as a result of strong parent and community involvement) is just icing on the cake for this gem of a neighborhood school.

Posted June 04, 2013
The Ravenswood Elementary community is incredibly supportive and conducive to a positive learning environment. The Drama, Art, and Physical Education teachers are amazing and my child, and all of her friends, love each of these teachers. I know that north side parents rave about Coonley, Bell, and Waters, but Ravenswood with its diversity and focus on the arts is THE neighborhood school.

Ravenswood Elementary School 4

Posted January 11, 2013
The principal can run hot and cold with parents. Of course, if you are actively involved in the parent group and fundraise for the school, the principal will love you. If your child has an issue, the principal will dodge you like the plague. (which is not a quality I want in a principal) To her defense, due to cut backs, her vice principal is teaching, so she is doing it all! Ravenswood has a positive discipline approach. The principal is excellent at using the positive discipline apporach with the children, & she has a positive presence in the school. Academics are not as high as they need to be. The school is working hard to improve. The school has a very active parent group with emails going out to inform parents of what is happening. And the parents have a buddy system to match up CPS experienced parents with parents new to the system. The parents are very active in fundraising for the school.

Ravenswood Elementary School 4

Posted December 06, 2012
As one of the first Tuition-based PreK parents I approached Ravenswood with some hesitation. After all I'd been told only magnets were good enough. But I knew two parents who had sent their children there so I took the leap. We've been so pleased. She has the attention she needs with smaller classes. She loves art & needs to move so a school with art & music AND now drama as well as 2 days of PE, wow! I'm sad the library had to die but unfortunately non-magnet schools don't get enough funds for everything. My child's scores have not been part of the stellar, but we also don't hear much sniping about "those sped kids bringing down our scores." She is accepted and incorporated by other kids. When we thought of moving I decided against it because I didn't think starting over would be good for her, nor did I think, where we were looking to live, that we would find another school like this. When we moved here very few people who lived in the area sent their kids here, now most kids on our block go to Ravenswood.

Posted October 26, 2012
Four things I love about Ravenswoood: 1. Art Integration through out the curriculum. Students are learning to think about their process of creating, and asking others about theirs. 2.Project based inquiry-students are learning critical thinking skills,where to look to find answers and how to work together. 3. Commitment to small class size. 4. Strong sense of community.Teachers and administration all working with the same educational philosophy. Strong parent involvement. Even within the individual classrooms, a strong community is created among the students. It is warm, welcoming school community. Such a great, great school!

Posted September 24, 2012
I am so happy with Ravenswood. My son has been here since PreK and is now in 3rd grade. They use great curriculums (balanced literacy and Everyday Math) to teach reading and math, but my son more often comes home talking about science and how much he has learned about life cycles (3rd grade curriculum). I love that the teachers find time to give science and social studies their due, along with lit and math. Ravenswood is so committed to lower class sizes (the most he's had is 25), which is a bonus for my son, who might not get his due in a large class because he's a quiet kid. Last but definitely not least, Ravenswood provides quality Arts education--art, music and drama every week! I have been impressed with all of the teachers--they go above and beyond to make Ravenswood a true community!

Posted August 13, 2012
Our son has been at Ravenswood since Pre-K and is now going into second grade. He has continued to thrive is this school. The sense of community and parent involvement is fantastic. The Friends of Ravenswood is a welcoming parent group that has really helped with communication in the population. We are thrilled to have our son in this program.

Ravenswood Elementary School
4332 North Paulina Street, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Ravenswood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ravenswood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top