Chicago, IL

Posted November 17, 2012
Raising children is expensive. Adding $10 for the PTA membership and $20 a couple times for fundraising is a drop in the bucket. ALL the kids benefit from the teacher aids in the lower grades-- K-2 (paid ENTIRELY by the PTA) a music teacher (paid ENTIRELY by the PTA) the halloween party (paid ENTIRELY by the PTA) field trips, before and after school care, classroom supplies, the student talent show, teacher grants and more, all supplemented by the PTA. The many families that contribute very little --in time and/or money-- are made up by the families that contribute hundreds each year. The $10 charge at the halloween party was just for food. The activities were open to all, which by the way, took hours of work by dozens of volunteers. Regardless of who donates money or volunteers their time, all the children benefit. Don't have a computer at home? Send your child's teacher a note asking how he/she is doing. Or stop by the library to visit your online parent portal. Either way is free. Yes, its hard to say no to our children sometimes. But put it in perspective. Visit a PTA meeting. Check out public schools without an active PTA. THEN decide where you want to send your child.

Posted November 02, 2012
Sauganash School is an ideal example of how underfunded public schools can thrive, excel - consistently - with a strong partnership between teachers, faculty, students and parents. But it is only possible if everyone plays a part. Plain and simple, there is a HUGE funding gap and without parent support (PTA membership is $10 - the same as 2 coffees or a 1/4 tank of gas) no teacher aides, music, and more. Our kids deserve this, and most (though I recognize not all) families in our community can come up with that. A previous writer had an issue with teachers. My daughter has had six teachers, each of whom gave her individualized attention even in huge classes, and all have gone above and beyond to meet my needs when I asked - nicely. There is a small-school family feel here... kids look out for each other; teachers and staff are nothing short of heroic in comforting kids with serious special needs or those just having a rough day. The compassion is astonishing. Not impressed by warm-fuzzies? Look at the numbers. We're in the top 20 CPS elementary schools, including selective enrollment and our scores are consistently excellent. This is a neighborhood treasure.

Sauganash Elementary School 4

Posted November 02, 2012
Sauganash is a wonderful school. I can afford to send my child elsewhere but we chose to live in this neighborhood in large part because of Sauganash School. To ther reviewer below,. do you think it's free to put on a Halloween party? Well, it's not. The PTA has to raise funds to pay the expenses. But more importantly than that are all the incredible things the PTA does with the funds they raise. Teachers aids and after school programs cost money and someone has to pay for it. If you don't want to then don't but stop your whining about ac active PTA working hard to raise needed money for our neighborhood school.

Posted October 31, 2012
"Blaming and whining"...Don't blame your child poor performance on other people. My son is 6th grade student, he is welcomed every single day and loves his school and his teachers. The principal and her team are on top of everything. Don't forget....PTA show support for their kid's school. Five stars from me.

Sauganash Elementary School 4

Posted October 14, 2012
To the previous poster who made the comment about bribery, here's the deal from a parent who knows...no family will be turned away from the PTA halloween party, whether they are members or not..also if your child is one of the lower grades k and 1st grade, the PTA pays for the teachers's aides and the music teacher for the entire school..I also believe that there is an aide in the 2nd grade that the PTA pays for as well..Family Fun NIght is a free PTA event that will welcome all families at the end of the school year...so yes, the PTA does solicit money for the salaries of 5 teachers aides, a music teacher, and the PTA always ask parents to join to show support for their kid's school..your participation in Football Mania is optional....don't sell raffle tickets if you don't want to..but join the PTA to help improve the environment that your child spends the bulk of his/her time in...also, just a reminder that surrounding area schools such as Farnsworth, Wildwood, Edgebrook, etc, do some type of fundraising as well..I hope you join the PTA and become involved so you can see where the money goes and what it is used for....maybe your experience with the school would improve

Sauganash Elementary School 1

Posted October 12, 2012
This school needs to stop with the bribery to get money. They tell the kids the class will get a party or whatever if everyone turns in football mania tickets, which are $20 a ticket. They bribe the kids with the yearly raffle. Sell xx amount and get a prize. That's all it is with them is bribery. Not all parents can afford this stuff. If they could, they wouldn't be in a Chicago Public School. Right now, they are sending home information about their annual spooktacular event. PTA members are free. But if we don't get one, we have to pay at the door to join the PTA. They fill the children's heads with hopes of getting this or doing that, and then it makes the parents look like the bad guys when we have to say NO because it simply is not in our budget. It's ridiculous. The principal does only care about appearance it seems like. After an incident with my child, and she did absolutely NOTHING about it, I realized this. Most of the teachers are a joke. Completely disorganized. They don't send home hardly anything about what is going on in class, they want you to look online. What about people who do not have a working computer or Internet access?

Sauganash Elementary School 3

Posted January 08, 2012
My son goes to school here and he says it's really great.I've been inside the the school and I think it's pretty good.The principal is magnificent,she takes great time to check up on the students.But sadly, I think some of the teachers are kinda ignorant.There has been the good teachers and the bad.My son also begs me to never leave the school because he has great friends and he loves the dances. I would give this school 3 stars.

Posted April 01, 2011
One final thought, I've been accepted as a single parent who can't participate in all of the parent activities (with working full time). Everyone knows my name even though I can't volunteer or be a part of the PTA. Everyone knows my child's name and she is welcomed every single day and loves her school. This is a warm family environment at Sauganash that Principal Munns has created and I feel as a high level executive is doing everything it can within the confines of being in such a hugh public school system. If your child isn't challenged at CPS, you need to step up and provide at home.

Sauganash Elementary School 1

Posted March 31, 2011
This school is a big disapointment. I moved into this neighborhood for the school and it is not what people make it out to be. The curriculum is terrible, teachers do not supplement for those who need academic challenge. My child is being taught with the lowest possible standards.

Sauganash Elementary School 3

Posted March 25, 2011
I chose Sauganash for its diverse student body and strong academic reputation, in an affordable neighborhood. The diversity is there, the academics are not. I regret my decision and I worry that I have done a disservice to my son. The curriculum is watered down and the "teach to the test" mentality rules. The math program in particular is exceptionally weak. (Third graders started to learn single-digit multiplication in February of THIS year.) The homework is busy work or online assignments reading simple stories and completing "fill in the blank" book reports. There is this overall feeling that the school is "good enough" as long as it maintains a consistent ISAT score. Add in the short cps school day plus ridiculous class sizes (34 and 40 children in some classes) and the deck is stacked against the teachers. It takes an amazingly dedicated and gifted teacher to make headway academically. We have had several. I don't think the issues with the school stem from poor teachers. It is a leadership and curriculum problem. Parents/PTA are committed to improving the school but their focus is on resources. My child is happy and there is definitely a sense of community.

Sauganash Elementary School
6040 North Kilpatrick Avenue, Chicago, IL  60646
Last modified Sauganash Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sauganash Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 78 reviews. Top