Sayre Elementary Language Academy

Public | PK-8 | 604 students

Posted June 21, 2014

The bulling has gotten out of hand. My kids complain about the "quite lunch" and the people in charge of recess. Hoping my kids test out, this is not a neighborhood school!!! Teachers are great but it's hard for them to teach when they are being disrespected by some students.

Posted June 15, 2014

I hate this school. I've been going to this school since kindergarten and I'm in seventh grade now. I have noticed a huge difference since our old principal left and we got ms. U. Children are wildly crazy. The staff is horrible. I think we even have some type of mold coming from the ceiling on the third floor. With our old principal I loved going to school and didnt have to worry about kids calling me names and the principal not doing anything about it. For example there is this one girl in my class who lies,cheats,and scares older and little children. She has been suspended from school about six times and when she does go down to the office she comes back up with candy,chips,or some type of sodam I'm sick of this because its distracting me from my education. I dont know about anyone else but I want a big family and I want to be a psychologist. But I can't learn if I'm always worried if I'm about to get popped upsidey head.

Posted November 3, 2013

My school is actually a really good school.The teachers really care about us getting to go to college and high school.My math and science teacher talks to me everyday about getting good grades and I need to try harder.We are a diverse school also.I like how we have a new recess thing because when it is raining or when it is going to start snowing badly,we will go inside the auditorium or gym room a play games or even watch kid movies.I believe our school should get a better security guard because she is kind of old and she can also control the kids sometimes but she isn't that good.One time our school had this security guard who was very strict and was very good at his job but I don't know what happened to him.Sayre is a good school.

Posted September 17, 2012

(PART 2) Yet these teachers are not being seen as so, in fact, many wonderful teachers have come to our school and have been relieved of their job for whatever reasoning. This school is no longer an environment that welcomes you. I am one of the many students who are lucky to get out now.

Posted September 15, 2012

I would love to give this school a higher rating because the teachers that are still there are wonderful and love their job. Unfortunately the administration there is making it next to impossible to be successful. Teachers are leaving at an alarming rate, some in the middle of the year. There is little staff support. The principal is borderline verbally abusive and rules with fear instead of creating a positive working environment. You can feel the tension from the moment you step foot in the building and get a taste of it once you try to have a conversation with the principal. As you can see from significant decrease in test scores that "leadership" (and I use that turn loosely) from someone without any real classroom experience has a negative effect on the learning environment. She is unable to relate to her staff members and is disconnected from her community. Teachers have left the building in ambulances due to work related stresses. This school was once something great and there is still a staff and community there that can make it wonderful once again. The equation is all there, now if only the negative variable were to be removed, the school could become great once again.

Posted June 22, 2012

I entered the building today and saw a group of office personnel working diligently. Although, I did not see the principal I did witness a whole collaboration of office personnel really working hard with a smile on their face as I left the office with a resume. The school environment is beautiful inside and outside. I believe students do enjoy going to Sayre School. Sometimes change is good and sometimes we have to give it time for change to be better! What is old is traditional. What is new is progressive. We need traditional & progressive educational needs for the students to succeed. We need a world of educational people including paretns to help guide the students to get there. Remember it takes a village to raise a child.

Posted December 3, 2010

As a member of this school-and after having visited many CPS schools-I can sincerely state that this school is making it happen. From administration, to staff, parents, community and of course the students, everyone is on board with their learning targets. The magnet cluster focus World Language is embraced by all, diversity is celebrated and the focus is always on instruction. "If you focus on the strengths, the weaknesses will disappear."
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 13, 2010

It's a shame how so many great teachers were lost this school year and this was not due to budget cuts. My daughter was looking forward to see certain wonderful teachers and was heartbroken to find out that they are no longer with the school. How are test scores supposed to go up if there are these constant changes, instability and classes sizes increasing? I have heard many reports that teachers have chosen to leave because of constant threats and put-downs by the principal. We'll see how the school year goes...

Posted May 27, 2010

Does anyone have any idea how we can make our school an IB school? I know Sayre has that potential! Our Great tachers and devoted administration can make it possible..Go Sayre!!

Posted May 27, 2010

I would agree with the parent whose observation is that the new Principal has changed the atmosphere of the school -- praise the Lord, it now INCLUSIVE instead of EXCLUSIVE. I love her open door policy. My 13 year old daughter is enthralled with her. She appreciates that the Principal comes to classrooms to check up on what they are doing. When the Principal sees them in the hallway or on the playground, she asks about their grades and how they are doing. In addition, she is at the school for absolutely everything from early morning until late night. And this is only her first year. If you go into her office you will see how much she cares about our childrens education. She charts them individually on her wall and that of the Vice Principal - ask her to explain it and she will.

Posted May 26, 2010

I have two children that attend Sayre. I am very disapointed with the new Principal. She has changed the atmosphere of the school. Parent participation used to be encouraged and welcomed. The new Principal is very rude to parents, and she does not like to take advice from anyone. The school has some good teachers and staff, who push the school forward.

Posted April 15, 2010

Sayre has a wonderful atmosphere where students feel comfortable, confident and supported enough to become superior learners. This is created through a great principal, caring teachers and involved parents.

Posted April 15, 2010

I love Sayre Language Academy because this school have very good teachers they are very dedicated with waht they do.This is my first year having a kid in this school and i'm really proud of the decision i made in putting him in this school he have learned alot.I hope we can win.

Posted April 14, 2010

I love the diversity. There are some dedicated teachers, and parents.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love Sayre because the teachers are committed and the students in my kids' classes are friendly, diverse and enthusiastic.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love Sayre Language Academy because of it's commitment to the children. My children are excited about school and Sayre has instilled the love of learning for them.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love this school because parents and students always getting involved to make this school a better place. Also, this school is one of the safest city school I've known.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love Sayre Elementary Language Academy because the staff and faculty provide a safe learning environment for my children. And there are so many opportunities for parents to participate in what is going on at the school.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love Sayre Language Academy because the teachers put their hearts in teaching the students to excel in every subject.

Posted April 13, 2010

I love Sayre because we have a staff of teachers who are dedicated to academic excellance. We have parents who give of their time to fund raise, plan family events and volunteer in the school. Most of all we have a awesome principal and assistant principal. Thanks to all !!!

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students46%

Low income53%
Non-low income56%
Students without disabilities55%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students62%

Non-low income41%
Students with disabilities (IEP)8%
Students without disabilities66%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

• Suzana Ustabecir

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1850 North Newland Avenue