Chicago, IL

Posted November 28, 2014
I am a seventh grader at this school and Sayre is actually a pretty good school.I just feel like my school needs to work on suspending students more.There are these two students that go to this school that try and boss everyone around and My principal said if a student gets suspended more than five times then that person has to get expelled and these two students have gotten suspended for trying to do bad things to teachers and students and still haven't gotten expelled.After all,I think the Teachers really care about the students education and try their hardest to help us exceed and become something successful in life.So if youu would like to send one of your children to Sayre Language Academy,you really should.It is a great school!

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted June 21, 2014
The bulling has gotten out of hand. My kids complain about the "quite lunch" and the people in charge of recess. Hoping my kids test out, this is not a neighborhood school!!! Teachers are great but it's hard for them to teach when they are being disrespected by some students.

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 2

Posted June 15, 2014
I hate this school. I've been going to this school since kindergarten and I'm in seventh grade now. I have noticed a huge difference since our old principal left and we got ms. U. Children are wildly crazy. The staff is horrible. I think we even have some type of mold coming from the ceiling on the third floor. With our old principal I loved going to school and didnt have to worry about kids calling me names and the principal not doing anything about it. For example there is this one girl in my class who lies,cheats,and scares older and little children. She has been suspended from school about six times and when she does go down to the office she comes back up with candy,chips,or some type of sodam I'm sick of this because its distracting me from my education. I dont know about anyone else but I want a big family and I want to be a psychologist. But I can't learn if I'm always worried if I'm about to get popped upsidey head.

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted September 17, 2012
(PART 2) Yet these teachers are not being seen as so, in fact, many wonderful teachers have come to our school and have been relieved of their job for whatever reasoning. This school is no longer an environment that welcomes you. I am one of the many students who are lucky to get out now.

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 1

Posted September 15, 2012
I would love to give this school a higher rating because the teachers that are still there are wonderful and love their job. Unfortunately the administration there is making it next to impossible to be successful. Teachers are leaving at an alarming rate, some in the middle of the year. There is little staff support. The principal is borderline verbally abusive and rules with fear instead of creating a positive working environment. You can feel the tension from the moment you step foot in the building and get a taste of it once you try to have a conversation with the principal. As you can see from significant decrease in test scores that "leadership" (and I use that turn loosely) from someone without any real classroom experience has a negative effect on the learning environment. She is unable to relate to her staff members and is disconnected from her community. Teachers have left the building in ambulances due to work related stresses. This school was once something great and there is still a staff and community there that can make it wonderful once again. The equation is all there, now if only the negative variable were to be removed, the school could become great once again.

Posted June 22, 2012
I entered the building today and saw a group of office personnel working diligently. Although, I did not see the principal I did witness a whole collaboration of office personnel really working hard with a smile on their face as I left the office with a resume. The school environment is beautiful inside and outside. I believe students do enjoy going to Sayre School. Sometimes change is good and sometimes we have to give it time for change to be better! What is old is traditional. What is new is progressive. We need traditional & progressive educational needs for the students to succeed. We need a world of educational people including paretns to help guide the students to get there. Remember it takes a village to raise a child.

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 5

Posted December 03, 2010
As a member of this school-and after having visited many CPS schools-I can sincerely state that this school is making it happen. From administration, to staff, parents, community and of course the students, everyone is on board with their learning targets. The magnet cluster focus World Language is embraced by all, diversity is celebrated and the focus is always on instruction. "If you focus on the strengths, the weaknesses will disappear."

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 3

Posted September 13, 2010
It's a shame how so many great teachers were lost this school year and this was not due to budget cuts. My daughter was looking forward to see certain wonderful teachers and was heartbroken to find out that they are no longer with the school. How are test scores supposed to go up if there are these constant changes, instability and classes sizes increasing? I have heard many reports that teachers have chosen to leave because of constant threats and put-downs by the principal. We'll see how the school year goes...

Sayre Elementary Language Academy 5

Posted May 27, 2010
Does anyone have any idea how we can make our school an IB school? I know Sayre has that potential! Our Great tachers and devoted administration can make it possible..Go Sayre!!

Posted May 27, 2010
I would agree with the parent whose observation is that the new Principal has changed the atmosphere of the school -- praise the Lord, it now INCLUSIVE instead of EXCLUSIVE. I love her open door policy. My 13 year old daughter is enthralled with her. She appreciates that the Principal comes to classrooms to check up on what they are doing. When the Principal sees them in the hallway or on the playground, she asks about their grades and how they are doing. In addition, she is at the school for absolutely everything from early morning until late night. And this is only her first year. If you go into her office you will see how much she cares about our childrens education. She charts them individually on her wall and that of the Vice Principal - ask her to explain it and she will.

Sayre Elementary Language Academy
1850 North Newland Avenue, Chicago, IL  60707
Last modified Sayre Elementary Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sayre Elementary Language Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top