Skinner Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 845 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

Skinner West school is awesome. I am currently in 6th grade, and I made it into Whitney Young. I have been in Skinner since 2007. I have learned a lot there, and the teachers are awesome. The more you advance through the grade levels, the more awesome the teachers get.

Posted March 25, 2014

Skinner is a very smart school and I have totally learned so many things here but it is totally a bullying school. I currently am in 8th grade and there is so much drama in every grade literally including the first graders. Many of the staff can be very rude and are always disrespectful when I ask them simple questions like, "Is there a ice pack anywhere?" Which by the way there is no icepacks and no nurses in the school. There is just negative vibes as you get higher and higher in each grade. Also there is many fights and not strict rules and the worse punishment is you get some is some "yellow slip" that doesn't really give a big impression. It's a great elementary school but I do NOT think its a great middle school. I did learn a lot though!

Posted December 7, 2013

My daughter just transferred to Skinner this fall and I am very impressed! For the first time in her school career, she is actually being challenged. Her teachers are caring, effective and professional. She has made many friends and her schoolmates welcomed her with open arms. I am thankful that my child has the opportunity to be attending Skinner West. I am hopeful that my son will soon be joining her. This is an excellent school!

Posted November 9, 2013

I graduated from here in June and got into Payton! The academics are challenging here which made my transition smooth at Payton. I loved the diversity and sports offered here. Teachers were great . I never seen any bullying take place so no vlue about what others said below. I met a lot of cool friends and people. I was in the classical program. I will always love Skinner West!

Posted November 2, 2013

I attended Skinner many moons ago, and I'm definately in agreement with the fact that things have changed since. I will say this, Skinner, to me, was by far the BEST school I attended. The teachers were great, and brought out what ever talent you had. Artistically, verbally, mentally. Whatever you were good at, they pushed you to be better Skinner is an exceptional school and any parent who is lucky enough to have a child attend, will see exactly what I'm talking about. As far as bullying goes, that's everywhere.....so teach your child right from wrong, so they don't follow what other children do. Teachers are with your children for a portion of the day. They can't do it all by themselves. It takes a village people. Be cautious of who your children are around. I'm POSITIVE that they are not picking up the bullying tendencies and bad language from the teachers!!!!!

Posted August 30, 2013

Bullying is OUT OF CONTROL HERE!!! Teachers do nothing, year after year. This is an ongoing issue. My son has been hit, pinched, called names-the teacher tells him "not to tattle". Disgusting

Posted August 26, 2013

My name is Yasmin Jones and i go to Mark T Skinner West Elemetery School.I am in sixth grade .I just started school on August 26,2013 on Monday. I think others should know about this school is that it is a wonderful school.If your child doesn't understand something that the teacher is teaching your child's teacher will do something right away to get him to understand .I also like my principal Ms.Clark because every year we will watch a bullying video so we will learn to not start any bullying.And if we see bullying we are not suppose to get into the fight .We are suppose to tell a grownup or a teacher or whoever is in the hallway that is close by.What i like about this school is that if your child doesn't know something or isn't good in a subject you just have to let your child teacher know and she or he would do something to help your child inpprove.

Posted August 22, 2013

Skinner is a school that brings out the potentials in a child. It pushes children to reach above their limits. The teachers are highly committed Miss woerzoreck in 1st grade is an outstanding teacher. Although the homework given to the children which is mostly research based and voluminous tends to keep them up past their bedtime. There's daily homework and weekly homework as well. This is sometimes overwhelming for both parents and child. However, there's no doubt that the Skinner West is thorough. There's no room for timidity, a child needs to prove himself and defend his thoughts and opinions with facts. The issue of bullying is recurrent, the school needs to improve its ways of handling this issue so as to be seen to be fair to all concerned.

Posted June 24, 2013

Our daughter tested into Skinner and attended kindergarten and 1st grade there. If we were not moving to the suburbs, she'd still be there. While I was a bit put off by the amount of homework (even in kindergarten), our daughter has thrived at Skinner. A great learning community. My only hesitations are that with a lack of substitute teachers in Chicago, many of the ancillary courses were cancelled because they were pulled to substitute classes if a teacher was out. Ms. Growe (K) and Ms. Sittner (1st) were awesome teachers.

Posted June 4, 2013

If your child is an ethnic minority or an English Language Learner, this may not be right place for you. Most of the teachers are young, white females who do not recognize discrimination. They assess and group through "observation." Thus, if you have a quiet child, they are likely to be placed in lower reading and math groups, even though they may be ready for more challenge. Bullying is abundant and rampant. Young children are told not to tattle, leaving them with no one to turn to when they are bullied. This school has great test scores, and is probably the best of the bunch that we have experience with, but it is probably more suited for White and African American students.

Posted May 4, 2013

I am considering Skinner west for my daughter for next year (Fall 2014) After having a trip for the school's open house, I was very impressed by students teachers and the program itself.

Posted November 9, 2012

It is hard to gauge a school from reading reviews. Test scores also do not paint a complete picture of the culture and the organization. There is no doubt about the greatness of Skinner West - and that's because the children who come here are exceptional to begin with. If you are considering Skinner. Consider doing two things (1) Calling the office and if you actually talk to a person instead of a full voicemail (2) Emailing the principal - Gauge your decision on the quickness of their response. This is reflective of their attitude towards the children, the parents and the staff. If you are pleased with the urgency that you are treated or are happy on how you were received, by all means come to this school. A whole team of parents gets the website, newletters and social media going. If not for these hard working, concerned parents - communication is very poor in this school. It is an amazing community who is eager to learn and grow but there's something wanting in its direction and leadership.

Posted October 18, 2012

that child that copies and past his or her homework or whatever, is going to suffer when it's time to take the state's standerlized test. it's all boils down in the end when it's time for placement in a good high school.

Posted October 18, 2012

Yes, it may be true that most uppergrade students at Skinner do not use the best language, but even though we don't we still don't use that language in front of little kids (the eighth graders don't at least.) Skinner either way is still one of the best elementary schools in state, our school has amazing teachers, i have understood soooo many things having to do with school, that i do believe that would not have understood if i went to any other school. The staff members love these children, we can all joke around and have fun while learning, same with the teachers. The work can be challenging, but the teachers are there for us kids, they stay after school, at the latest 8:00 at night, grading papers, trying to figure out what they could do to make the school better, and coming up with new lesson plans for the next day. We work a level above the actual grade level, and that helps with trying to get into highschools, you already know more than some other kids applying to the same highschools do. I personally have loved this school since i first became a Skinner Superstarstar, in kindergarten. - An eigth grade graduate (CLASS OF 2013!!!)

Posted May 15, 2012

After reading some of the reviews, I had to post mine. I'm not saying its a bad school but its not perfect. It has smart kids and regular kids just like every school does. I happen to know someone that their child is actually attending the 5th grade and copies and pastes his homework from wikipedia and other websites in the internet. I'm surprised teachers being so great don't notice. They also allow children to be placed in advance classes all because the parent or parents requested it for appearances and who suffers? The child does. There is bullying in this school, if the staff choose to ignore it, that's a different story.... Maybe its distinctive from other public schools, because its located in a good neighborhood, as I recall it used to be near the projects of chicago...

Posted April 17, 2012

Skinner is a very diverse school, full of very intelligent students. We are a bully free school, and our school is a very positive environment.

Posted April 17, 2012

Skinner is a great school, and it would be a great place to start your child in. You always feel at home, and there isn't any bullying here. You learn so much, not just in class, but also from all the people you meet. Skinner is a greatly diverse school, and everyone is so nice. All the upper grade students learn Spanish, and usually go to high school, taking Honors level Spanish classes. Teachers prepare you well for the life ahead of you after you leave Skinner. Going to Skinner is a great school!

Posted April 17, 2012

I learn to think out of the box while having fun at Skinner. Other than the traditional core classes, I also take advanced Spanish language classes and have been accepted into Spanish 2 with honors for high school next year. All of my teachers have done a phenomenal job preparing me for high school and I am very thankful that I have the opportunity to go to school here.

Posted April 17, 2012

I go to Skinner West now, and I am graduating into one of the best high schools in the State, as are many of my friends and classmates. Skinner has prepared me for the high school experience and curriculum, with it's challenging subjects. I really enjoy Skinner, and I no longer dread going to school in the morning. Every day I am excited about what we are going to do today, whether it be in the science lab or a history project. I think that everybody who says bad things about Skinner has never truly experienced the greatness of it. Skinner is the best school ever! :)

Posted April 17, 2012

Skinner is an excellent school. I am a current eighth-grader here at Skinner (class of 2012!!) and if you're considering Skinner, then absolutely go for it! The teachers are nice (except one, who is VERY rude, and her pupils often complain about her meanness), and it's very diverse here. The workload in the upper grade system prepares you for higher-levels of learning (high-school, college, etc...), which is a great benefit. Over all, despite a few cons (that mean teacher I mentioned!) Skinner West is definitely a great way to go if you want to further your child's education.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students89%

Low income75%
Non-low income98%
Students without disabilities90%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female96%

Asiann/a

Asian 20% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)