Chicago, IL

Skinner Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 21, 2015
Skinner West is a school that cultivates academic excellence, strong character and well-rounded students; it's reputation is well-deserved. My daughter has been a student in the magnet/neighborhood program for two years and she truly feels like a Skinner Superstar who is thriving academically, socially and emotionally. Principal Clark and the teachers are excellent, and hold the same high expectstions of all students across the classical and magnet programs.

Posted May 24, 2015
My son goes to this school and is in second grade with Ms Katie Schwartz. He is very happy with her teaching and I see a lot of progress, she is a very good teacher. He also a good experience with Mr Merlin during his kindergarten. Excellent school!

Skinner Elementary School 3

Posted April 29, 2015
My daughter got into the gifted program this upcoming fall (2015-16 school year). We have heard and read mostly good things about the school and was impressed at the open house, although they spent too much time letting the children perform and not enough time for the tour and questions from parents. I sent several emails to one administrator their to set up a meeting and answer my questions regarding enrollment - never got a response for 3 weeks. I sent an email to her teacher and didn't get a response for 2 days. So I called the school and told the lady in the office that we were dropping off the registration packet today and could she check with my daughter's teacher to see if she had 2-5 minutes to meet my daughter (my daughter is very excited to see her new school and meet her new teacher). Well, I was told that she couldn't meet her today because she has a teacher's meeting after school. Maybe I'm overacting but I thought she could meet with her for 2 minutes. I am very objective and perhaps things will improve but for now I'm rating the school 3 stars. I will write another review in the future.

Posted March 24, 2015
We have been very happy with our experience at Skinner West Elementary School. Our daughter is in the classical program there. Before attending Skinner West she was bored and had started to dislike school. This has completely changed since attending Skinner West. She absolutely loves school! While we have a bit of a commute to school, it is well worth the drive. In my opinion, I believe that Skinner West has two main factors working for it: First, I am very impressed with the teachers. They appropriately challenge students and work with students to develop studying skills that are necessary to achieve success academically. Second, the students in her class are all high achievers. Finally, it is 'Cool' to be good at school. These two factors synergistically work together to create a culture that promotes intellectual growth and a health amount of academic competition. Another benefit of Skinner West is the after school star program. They organize a myriad of activities after school while still providing quiet study hall time so that students will finish HW before heading home. Over all - at least for our family - Skinner West is a complete gem!

Skinner Elementary School 3

Posted March 24, 2015
We like Skinner, but my daughter's second grade classroom (neighborhood) now has 37 (yes, that's right, 37) students! Kudos to Ms. Katie Schwartz for her ability to keep her students focused and challenged, all the while maintaining order and calm.

Skinner Elementary School 4

Posted October 13, 2014
I am in the eighth grade of this school, and I have to say that our social studies teacher, Ms. Mellos, is really good. She gets every student's respect easily and their attention easily. I really admire her teaching. Another teacher, Mr. Batchelor, is very boring. I always end up staring at the clock in his algebra class. Algebra is such a fascinating subject, but he makes it boring. He needs to have a louder voice and be more interactive with his students. Although he is a new teacher at Skinner, I believe that he can still improve.

Posted May 15, 2014
Learn Romano Butler Campus push the children to want to move high and do more in school and home I can see my baby growing right before my eye

Skinner Elementary School 4

Posted May 14, 2014
I attend this school, and I am very content except for one factor. My science teacher, Ms. Montenegro, is very lax and careless when it comes to teaching. She is very ignorant and seems like she does not have enough knowledge to teach. When she is being observed by Ms . Clark or Ms. Robinson, she puts on a fake act. She prepares power-points and require us to do experiments. She acts extra cheery and like she is a true scientist. When we leave, she asks each table to leave quietly. On a normal day, she simply screams "GET OUT!" I believe her teaching style and behavior should be changed immediately. On the other hand. my social studies teacher, Mr. Fitz, is exceptional. He is patient, open minded, and has lots of knowledge to share. I learn a lot from each of his lectures.

Skinner Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
Skinner West school is definitely a good school when your young. I loved it when I was younger but as I got older I started to quickly decrease on my love for this school. Some things are not like they use to be, and many of my classmates are not they use to be. You see now a lot of people are sad or depressed or just not as positive. I would kindly as I can say that maybe before you look into they school maybe some further investigation into the students and how everything is. It's a great school when your young, but as you abate through life the quality and the feel of the school may not be like it use too.

Posted April 09, 2014
Skinner West school is awesome. I am currently in 6th grade, and I made it into Whitney Young. I have been in Skinner since 2007. I have learned a lot there, and the teachers are awesome. The more you advance through the grade levels, the more awesome the teachers get.

Skinner Elementary School
111 South Throop Street, Chicago, IL  60607
Last modified Skinner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Skinner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 84 reviews. Top