Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My child attended Smyth in 2013 and that was the ONLY year. I could no longer subject my child to the bullying and constant fights and threats from the other students. He was attacked by a classmate while walking to the park district, which is on the next block. There was. I security, staff, or teachers present. The staff from the park district had to rescue my son from the violent student who was bashing his head against the concrete. I informed the police department who referred me to the school. Instead of the principal showing compassion for the situation, blamed my child! Even when I had an "investigator" from the school board come to the school, the principal downplayed the situation and nothing was done. Even when the principal admitted the other boy had been in altercations prior to attacking my son nothing was done to protect my child. Sadly, the rest of the year went poorly. My child was attacked and bullied the remainder of the year and ran home from school every day. As a parent I felt helpless. The principal's connections with the police department, school board, and community leaders made it impossible to get assistance. Looking at the recent posts, it seems not much has changed. This principal is concerned with image and until more parents speak up he will continue to keep up appearances. If you care about your child and have other options, DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO SMYTH!

My son attends 7th grade there well he was because as of today he will no longer go back he has been the victim of bullying and nothing has been doNE he has been jumped in twice by 3 students in which 2 of them helped jump him the 1st time nothing has been done I'm filing a police report and with dcfs for neglect IL also be going to cps downtown to file a complaint as well as seeking a attorney

I am an award-winning veteran teacher and due to CPS budget cutting I unfortunately ended up teaching at Smyth. Coaching and mentoring new teachers, I've visited many schools and I would rank this school as toxic. Most of the initiatives are a charade and the principal is overbearing, pompous and predatory. For this reason, he loses (or fires) excellent teachers whose pleas are ignored and the safety of students and staff jeopardized. The year I taught there, almost half of the middle-school faculty left in the middle of the year and substitutes avoid Smyth because of its poor reputation. This school is a perfect example of why our schools are failing.

I am a Parent, Great School The Principal is Excellent!!!!.The main focus is Every child can Learn an Will Learn!....I have a three students at Smyth School thats learning lots of new things that will help them in the world.. For someone to talk down about this school because things are not going their way is CRAZY!,,,I no for a fact this School is growing people dont like to see you grow especially as an African American...We the students, staff teachers, and Parents are a team we all work hard!

My daughter attended Joyner pre K.Absolutely love this svhol, the teachers are awesome, small class sizes, and lots of fun structure. And the location is top notch. Wonderful!!! I highly recommend

My daughter is in Ms. Prince's Pre-K class and I volunteer in the class so I have seen first hand how wonderful she and Ms. Winston (teacher's aid) are with the kids. The class is very neat and well stocked with materials, learning aids, toys and supplies. Drop off and pickup goes relatively well, there is standing space for cars on the street at both times and teachers or aides are there wth the preK kids in the lunchroom for drop-off. I am very satisfied with the security in the school. If the child is late, they must go through the front office security guard to get in (so no unauthorized people can enter the school) and once the cafeteria door (that's where I drop off my daughter before the bell in the morning) was open just after the bell and the minute I got inside with her, a volunteer kindly told me I could not enter and that he would escort her to class. There is an outdoor park at the school that the kids play in. Sinks for cleanup are in the class and bathrooms are right across the hall from the class. I sent my daughter there for PreK based on a a friend's glowing reccomendation, her daughter was in Mr Sala's class.

my grandson is in pre-k here and is not being taught nothing new. He was assaulted in the restroom and nothing was don about it. The principle would not even talk to me about it. My concern is there is too much fighting at that school whereas if that was taking care of the children could approve academically. Also more parents involvement is needed.

The teachers and parents of this school is slowly turning things around. The teachers care and give 110% everyday. This school is on the way up and will continue to grow everyday.

Last modified Smyth J Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-2, 4-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.