Sutherland Elementary School 3

Posted August 12, 2014
This was my daughter's first year at Sutherland. I am well pleased with the curriculum and some of the staff. What bothers me is the parents. (not all but some). It makes me upset on how some parents treat some of the KIDS that don't live in the area different from the children that do live in the area. It's not the kids fault. Also the prejudice is so obvious with some staff. I witnessed a student patrol worker dismiss a child that was seeking help but turned around an was very nice and engaging with another student that approached him. Sutherland has its good and bad.

Sutherland Elementary School 1

Posted August 05, 2014
My child had her first year this past 2013-2014 school year. For it to be a public school they asked for a $100 for supplies which is fine but it seemed as if they were asking for more and more money. Its nice that they teach them french but how many french people do you run into in a life time.I also really hate the fact that this school does not have a lunchroom which means they donot provide the children with a hot lunch. Where is that budget going to? I also dont think that they provide a safe environment because I recieved a call from the nurse sayin that my daughter couldnt breath because she was choked and held down by two boys so where is the supervision.

Posted April 26, 2014
Sutherland Elementary ROCKS! The level one school consistently raises test scores and student achievement, a pretty difficult task when so many of our students are already grade levels ahead; and our Diverse Learners regularly reach their targets. This academic growth continues because of the dedication of the staff and faculty to challenge each and every student on his/her own level. Equally important is the high standard set in character development and expectations on personal growth. Programs offered promote well rounded students, able to think out of the box, act independently, and care for each other. As an International Baccalaureate/Middle Years Program School, the curriculum involves learning French (from Kindergarten through eighth grade), completing community service, enjoying cross curricular units of study, and developing character traits outlined in the Learner Profile. The culminating French event that takes place every May rivals any Hollywood production. The school is magically transformed for one day, and students showcase their hard work as all are immersed en Francoise. But wait, I have not even touched on our amazing art program...

Posted April 23, 2014
Sutherland is an excellent school. My son attends here and loves it. The teachers and parents are very involved with the children and their education here. The curriculum is great and expects the most from every grade level. I live in Beverly and wouldn't consider sending my son anywhere else but our neighborhood school.

Posted February 19, 2014
Sutherland has offered a first rate experience for my child. The children are safe , happy, and eager to learn. The administrative leadership, staff and teachers provide a wonderful and engaging environment.

Posted January 24, 2014
Sutherland is a great school with great teachers. What makes a true difference in this school is the parental involvement and committment. Parents know each other, keep in touch with the teachers, and are always willing to help out. In my opinion a school is only as successful as it's community, thus making Sutherland a HUGE success!

Posted November 09, 2013
My child graduated here an is now a sophmore at Brooks College Prep and she is doing well! Thanks, Sutherland!

Posted July 24, 2013
10 years ago i graduated from Sutherland. It has always been an amazing school with amazing faculty and staff. I wasn't always in the honors classes from 6-8 grade but I always managed to remain in the 90th percentile on my testing. Sutherland allowed me to grow as a person and an individual. I was able to participate in their amazing athletics, band and french program. I loved the buildings, the playground, classrooms and Sutherland's facilties. My experience was awesome bexause I had a great upport staff that made it just that. Ps the school is worth it because we moved to attend there. My mom wanted.what was best and you get it.

Sutherland Elementary School 4

Posted January 26, 2012
Excellent special ed staff. Would love to volunteer more. Every year for the past 3 yrs. I have filled out the volunteer form, only to be called once. I was a new parent and for the activity I helped out with, only one parent would talk to me. Love the school but Beverly parents can be very cliquey and judgmental. I should know I grew up here.

Sutherland Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2011
I am suprised by the review on 5/13. I have two children at Sutherland and spend a fair amount of time volunteering there. It is my opinion that the majority of the students are respectful of each other, teachers and other parents. Now not all students or teachers are perfect, but the majority of the faculty and staff work to make the students acheive their fullest potential. Two weeks ago the entire community was invited to Sutherland, to view the Wax Museum. This production was put on by all the students but especially, the 7th and 8th grade students, teachers and parents to showcase the French Program. It was wonderful to see all the hard work that went into it and how proud the students were. My biggest frustration at Sutherland is the fact that for 7 years, I have seen the same parents step up and volunteer over and over again. We need more parents to work with the school, PTA and LSC. When your child sees you at school, talking with teachers and other parents, they definately think twice about how they behave both inside and outside the classroom. They realize that you are paying attention and may not seek it out through negative behavior.

Sutherland Elementary School
10015 South Leavitt Street, Chicago, IL  60643
Last modified Sutherland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sutherland Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews.