Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted April 08, 2016
My son is in third grade at Sutherland, so this is his fourth year there. Every year has been amazing. He has had excellent teachers and made many good friends. I am an educator myself and am satisfied with the challenging (but not overly intense) curriculum. I appreciate that the administration supports art, music, foreign language, gym, dance, library and technology for all students in all grades! I did not have access to all of these "specials" in elementary school. Sutherland is an amazing school with tremendous parent support and superior teachers!

Sutherland Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 08, 2016
My son's first, second and third grade teachers have managed difficult situations in the classroom with grace. They are amazing role models and have helped my very active son to love learning and enjoy going to school! Thanks to Mrs. Stankus and Ms. Kanellopoulos!

Sutherland Elementary School 2

Posted November 13, 2014
Overall, its a decent school with good teachers and staff. I can get information about my child anytime. Well organized leadership. I hope they are doing better with educating the staff on special needs children this year.

Sutherland Elementary School 3

Posted August 12, 2014
This was my daughter's first year at Sutherland. I am well pleased with the curriculum and some of the staff. What bothers me is the parents. (not all but some). It makes me upset on how some parents treat some of the KIDS that don't live in the area different from the children that do live in the area. It's not the kids fault. Also the prejudice is so obvious with some staff. I witnessed a student patrol worker dismiss a child that was seeking help but turned around an was very nice and engaging with another student that approached him. Sutherland has its good and bad.

Sutherland Elementary School 1

Posted August 05, 2014
My child had her first year this past 2013-2014 school year. For it to be a public school they asked for a $100 for supplies which is fine but it seemed as if they were asking for more and more money. Its nice that they teach them french but how many french people do you run into in a life time.I also really hate the fact that this school does not have a lunchroom which means they donot provide the children with a hot lunch. Where is that budget going to? I also dont think that they provide a safe environment because I recieved a call from the nurse sayin that my daughter couldnt breath because she was choked and held down by two boys so where is the supervision.

Posted April 26, 2014
Sutherland Elementary ROCKS! The level one school consistently raises test scores and student achievement, a pretty difficult task when so many of our students are already grade levels ahead; and our Diverse Learners regularly reach their targets. This academic growth continues because of the dedication of the staff and faculty to challenge each and every student on his/her own level. Equally important is the high standard set in character development and expectations on personal growth. Programs offered promote well rounded students, able to think out of the box, act independently, and care for each other. As an International Baccalaureate/Middle Years Program School, the curriculum involves learning French (from Kindergarten through eighth grade), completing community service, enjoying cross curricular units of study, and developing character traits outlined in the Learner Profile. The culminating French event that takes place every May rivals any Hollywood production. The school is magically transformed for one day, and students showcase their hard work as all are immersed en Francoise. But wait, I have not even touched on our amazing art program...

Posted April 23, 2014
Sutherland is an excellent school. My son attends here and loves it. The teachers and parents are very involved with the children and their education here. The curriculum is great and expects the most from every grade level. I live in Beverly and wouldn't consider sending my son anywhere else but our neighborhood school.

Posted February 19, 2014
Sutherland has offered a first rate experience for my child. The children are safe , happy, and eager to learn. The administrative leadership, staff and teachers provide a wonderful and engaging environment.

Posted January 24, 2014
Sutherland is a great school with great teachers. What makes a true difference in this school is the parental involvement and committment. Parents know each other, keep in touch with the teachers, and are always willing to help out. In my opinion a school is only as successful as it's community, thus making Sutherland a HUGE success!

Posted November 09, 2013
My child graduated here an is now a sophmore at Brooks College Prep and she is doing well! Thanks, Sutherland!

Sutherland Elementary School
10015 South Leavitt Street, Chicago, IL  60643
Last modified Sutherland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.