Bad
Good

Posted October 19, 2014
This is my daughter's 3 year at Thorp and the quality of the school has improved each year. I really like the principal, Mr. Toledo, and I am satisfied with the communication between the teachers and parents.

Posted March 23, 2014
Excellent school! Incredible parent involvement. Best teachers ever. High level of instructions, especially in math. Highly recommended. My two kids go there and we all love it.

Posted October 24, 2013
My daughter is new to Thorp scholastic Academy. I thought the transition would be difficult for her as she entered 6th grade. I was mistaken. She has found all of her teachers more than willing to go the extra mile and help her with all her needs. Thorp has also allowed for her to become involved in many activities outside of classroom time, which she is also enjoying.

Posted April 05, 2013
This school has always been a well performing school with students getting into Northside Prep, Peyton, Young, and Lane. The new principal, Mr. Toledo is incredible with the Vice Principal having a serious focus on science. Many programs have been offered in the area of science for the children to enhance their science awareness...for free! The parent community is very active with the administration on getting a new playground. The organization is called Friends of Thorp. The PTA has always been strong due to active and involved parents. They offer many free afterschool programs starting at the Kindergarten level such as multicultural club, board game club, sign language club for the older kids, knitting, violin etc... Check it out you won't be disappointed.

Posted March 26, 2013
I have a daughter in this school and to be honest I am truly amazed, because my daughter was not doing so hot at her previous school and no matter how much I tried to communicate with her teachers to help her stride for success I kept getting e-mails stating they would work on it with her I kept asking what is (IT) what or where is she failing? no response , now at thorp if I have a concern I let her teachers know and the very next day I had a response with a plan of action. Now my daughter is an A & B student.

Posted February 11, 2013
My two kids have been at Thorp since Kindergarten. It is a school that keeps getting better with time. The community, teachers, and administrative leadership work together in making that happen. I am waiting to see what the upper grades bring us, but the K-4 experience has been excellent thus far!

Posted February 10, 2013
The new pricipal has energized the entire community. We all have a "can do" attitude, including teachers, parents and students. Love the academic challenges my daughter has received. Very pleased with the increased level of communication we receive as parents. Bravo!!!! All hands are on deck to make this a GREAT school.

Posted February 10, 2013
I have a daughter in the 1st grade at Thorp. I have been absolutely amazed by this incredible school!! She started last year when she was accepted for Kindergarten. We were a bit apprehensive when we started since we had not known anyone that attended the school. We were really happy at the private school that she attended for preschool, which we had decided would be the one she would attend through 8th grade. We were immediately overwhelmed by the incredible parents and kids at the school!! Once Mr. Toledo and Dr. Chipain came to Thorp, the school has become the most ideal school that I could ever have the honor of sending my child to! They have made such remarkable changes that, I truly believe, are making Thorp one of the top schools in Chicago!

Posted January 30, 2013
My child has been here since Kindergarten and is now in fourth grade, in the Comprehensive Gifted Track. We have always enjoyed Thorp and thought it was an exceptional school, but since the new leadership has gone into effect, we love it even more! Mr.Toledo and Dr.Chipain are a wonderful team, and are doing great things for Thorp, that have not been done in the past. The parental involvement is fantastic as well. Any child would be lucky to have a seat at Thorp.

Posted January 29, 2013
This magnet school is really making great strides to become a unique learning experience within the CPS system. The new principal has made a huge impact in the attitude of staff, students, parents and the community and has big hopes and plans for the future. The academics are really solid and continually improving.

Thorp O A Elementary Scholastic Academy
6024 W Warwick Ave, Chicago, IL  60634
Last modified Thorp O A Elementary Scholastic Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.