Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,153

Twain Elementary School 4

Posted October 28, 2014
I was very pleased with this school until today. Yes they have high expectations for the children and the principle and teachers are wonderful. But today i went to give my child and her peers in her class some cupcakes for my childs birthday, and guess what they are no longer allowed in school because they are now promoting "healthy eating"... now you want to promote healthy eating!!! Point blank a child wants to be celebrated on their special day and its not a birthday with out a cake or cupcake to them. Who are they to tell me what i can and can not feed my child! This new rule is by far thee most ridiculous rule CPS has come up with by far! So what now they would like us to bring healthy snacks like prune juice and fiber one bars instead..... ha i bet the children would just love that! I just wrote to the Board of Education in regards to this new rule. I think this new rule is a complete joke and needs to be thrown out immediatley.

Posted May 10, 2014
Im very happy with the overall performance of the school and staff! The principal Mrs. James is a kind and caring person who is a great asset to the school. The teachers are very helpful and push hard to help the children develop and succed. The school is always clean and maintained nicely. Staff is always friendly and very helpful in all situations. Both of my kids r doing great and at the top of the class. I as amazed when my first son was entering 1st gr. already reading, spelling, adding, and subtracting!! I love this school and recommend it highly!

Posted April 29, 2014
My son is in Kindergarden and he has improved so much in his reading, writing, comprehensive, and math skills. I want to thank eveyone in the school the staff, teachers specially Ms. Starnicky my son's teacher which has been a great motivation to my son. Sheis a very warm, accessible, enthusiastic and caring.

Posted November 03, 2013
This school is a very good school. I am a student who goes there and enjoys it . The teachers there are very kind, loving, and supportive. They have gave me lots of knowledge threw the years I have been there. Mrs. James has very wonderful leadership skills. I adore Mark Twain Elementary School and I kno your children will too.

Twain Elementary School 4

Posted July 09, 2013
my school has a great administration and there are plenty of caring and hard working teachers on staff. We could use extra curricular activities, this might be good for students that need an out.

Twain Elementary School 1

Posted July 08, 2013
Horrible school, to much racism. I finished changing my child from there bcus they wanted 2 put my child in esp edu after the pediatrician & psychology found nothing & the grades of my child is A & 3B. I also found parents with the same problem, somes they need it & some others don't. Humm! I don't know why... but it make me think about the $benefits$ that the government give to the schools to diagnose each student with any disability. This is not fair. I pay much $ in the Dr for nothing... and the weirdest thing is that the problem started suddenly, after my child spent several years in this school.

Posted March 15, 2011
This is a wonderful school for children! The principal and assistant principal are very active and are extremely caring. Parents see them on a daily basis outside with the students in the morning and afternoon as they go out of their way to ensure that students make it to school safely and make the most of their education. The school is very persistant in enforcing a strict homework schedule; they also offer plenty of rewards to get students motivated. The faculty is very good at sending home newsletters and other notes to make sure that all parents understand what their student is encompassing at school. There are also a few helpful meetings for parents throughout the year enabling them to learn how they can help their children excel in reading. I transferred my son to this school 2 years ago and have been very happy with my decision.

Posted August 02, 2010
this school has excellent teachers a super nice principle ((mrs. james)) fun specials and ive been going to this school since 2 year and this is the most cleanest schools ive ever been to and the safest

Posted April 07, 2009

Twain Elementary School 0

Posted February 04, 2008
So far Mark Twain has been a good school but I would really like it if they had a full day kindergarten classes, it would be a lot easier to pick my kids up at the same time instead of going back and forth.

Twain Elementary School
5134 South Lotus Avenue, Chicago, IL  60638
Last modified Twain Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Twain Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top