Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,012

Volta Elementary School 5

Posted October 24, 2014
Volta is a gem of a neighborhood school. It has professional, dedicated teachers, high quality academic programs, and supportive parents that have led it to be recognized as a Level One school in the city. The children of Albany Park are lucky to have a school of this caliber available to them.

Volta Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
This school is a decent school. My son has only been in this school for a year but i've seen the progress he has made and it's very much thanks to Mrs. Warren, She's an awesome teacher and makes sure all her students are getting the education they need. My son is in the low spectrum and she made sure he was evaluated and now hes in tutoring and it is helping him tremendously!

Posted October 28, 2013
I am a former student who transferred to Edison and I think that Volta was terrible back when they had a gifted program. They fired my kindergarten teacher because they needed more Hispanic teachers. I think that Mr Johnson spends way too much effort on trying to make kids who aren't bilingual focus on non-main subjects. When I was in the gifted program, they let anyone in. In my class alone, which was split into two grades that were taught by the same teacher, at least four kids had to go to summer school and were not kicked out of the gifted program. And don't get me started on gym. They have had the same (ex-science and math) gym teacher for around 15+ years and on some days he would let us play anything as long as it involved a certain item, whether jump rope or basketball that would be basically it. And let me tell you, the school was built in the 50s and some classrooms haven't changed since. That is what I think about Volta (but not the teachers other than the gym teacher).

Posted October 12, 2013
As a community member, I have seen the consistent decline of this school since the current principal has taken over. Truly too bad!

Volta Elementary School 5

Posted June 14, 2012
Volta has great teachers and it is a very good school. Now for all the haters out there, why dont u try actually going to Volta and checking it out. For all i know, you guys dont know anything about this school and it may be one of the best Elementary schools out there.

Posted April 08, 2012
As a parent , I have a daughter that goes to Volta. All i can say about this school is that it is the worst school I ever saw in my entire life. Everyday she would be crying to me, because she would always be tease and pick on. I went to go report it so many times but the staff doesn't do anything at all. They always say they will do something about it but they don't do anything. I member she told that she will do anything to move out of that school. So if any person is reading this right now , I suggest that you don't go to this school. It is the worst school ever in my entire life.

Volta Elementary School 2

Posted January 04, 2012
Hi.. I am a 8th grader at Volta ,and i am also in there gifted program. I would like to say Volta has bad administration. The student's are also very unique..The teacher try there best with what little time we are given. I personally would not advice parents to send there children to Volta because i and many others believe that Volta is ending up to be ridiculously bad.

Volta Elementary School 2

Posted July 17, 2010
Having had my children at Volta for 10 years now, I can honestly say that the school is having problems. It is suffering the budget crunch as are many. There is also a new administration that doesn't seem to have the best interests of the students in mind and a completely ineffective LSC. I feel that the security within the building is lacking and there is no discipline to speak of. There are a lot of great kids and teachers at Volta that deserve more. I'm afraid that we are planning on transferring because of the continuing decline in the educational focus and discontent at the school.

Volta Elementary School

Posted September 16, 2009
Volta is a school that celebrates multiculturalism and is represented by over 20 different nationalities. This is a rarity in CPS. There is a comprehensive gifted program, a plethora of after school opportunities, and the students even learn Arabic! All in all, a great school.

Volta Elementary School 3

Posted March 14, 2009
Volta is an ok school. The thing I like about it is the students get to express themselves. Something I don't like about it is the PE over there. It is only one day of the week and 45 minutes. That is definitally not enough time to get the exercise kids need to stay healthy. They have a new playground, but only preschoolers can play on it and all the other kids are forced to stay indoors for almost the entire day. The teachers there are very enthusastic about teaching. Some teachers give an excessive amount of unnessisary homework, while others give the right amount so that the kids have time to process what they have learned in school. Volta's students are mostly all well behaived except for a few kids and the teachers are able to well control them. Volta is an alright school, but it could be better.

Volta Elementary School
4950 North Avers Avenue, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Volta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Volta Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top