Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are great. They try hard and they care about their students. I wish they had smaller class sizes to contend with.

Amount of homework: Agree

Depends on the year. Some teachers give a lot some give very little. With school hours from 9-4 it leaves very little time for homework. I am of the mind that teachers should teach the material and excessive amounts of homework make it the parent's responsibility to help their kids learn material.

The teachers are great. The parents are good (but there are only a small dedicated group of them--they can get more involved then it would be great). The principal is TERRIBLE. She doesn't communicate with parents at all, she is dismissive and has no listening skills. I would steer clear of it until the LSC can do its job and fire her.

We had a less than stellar experience with Pritzker. The first year we were here my oldest had a terrible experience with bullying. Her coat was slashed and she was physically harmed, without the teacher doing anything about it. The only option was to move her up a grade, which was much better for her. My other child spent about 6 hours a day reading, because no one cared what he did as long as he wasn't causing trouble. He came out of that year with very poor grades, which is unfortunate because he is capable of much more. What you have to know about this school is that it is basically it is two schools- the gifted section that they flaunt and the neighborhood section which is doing very poorly. Most of the fundraising goes to gifted classes and very little of it goes to the other classes. The art/dance/theatre teachers, however, are fantastic as is the preschool teacher. And Ms Pagany in 6th grade is one of the best teachers I've ever had the privilege of knowing. Needless to say, we found better schools and are much happier.

So far, so great. Transferred our daughter after her former school moved its start time to 7:30 a.m. (gah!) Did judge Pritzker by its well-worn cover, but shouldn't have. Its teachers care, its extracurricular programs are plentiful and diverse, and its parents are active and welcoming. Just recently, the guidance counselor invited our daughter to a 1/1 new student lunch to track her progress and get to know her. They are vested in her, and she can tell. There's no better comfort for a parent.

I went to this school for 2 years (middle school) and it was just so-so. I had teachers ranging from good to awful (some making sure i'd succeed while others threatened to fail me for no reason). The atmosphere is slightly odd, and looking back I wasn't very happy there. There was a bullying problem in multiple classes that was not dealt with at all, the teachers and adults being completely unresponsive. Not the best school, could improve greatly with effort, communication, and a reevaluation of how things are done there.

After 5 years of my child at Pritzker and 20 years as a professional Educator I think I have a background qualified to "rate" this school. It is not a coincidence that their test scores have fallen consistently for the last 3 years. To this point my experience with the RGP has been disappointing. The bulk of the assessed work is being done at home. The standard of "Teach, Assess, Adjust" is unknown. The Admin. and Teachers commonly blame the students for problems. "How could whole gifted classes be a problem? I ask." For a parent and professional Educator to be disappointed in a gifted program that should tell you how severe the quality of the regular program is. The responsibility falls on the Admin. and their lacking leadership and integrity. I leave off with one word, Charade!

There are many anonymous complaints about the school and I have heard negative things about the Spanish teacher on other forums. However I disagree and think she is doing an excellent job with my son's Spanish development. He was having trouble earlier and it would be easy to blame her but I found that he was not putting the effort forward in class, forgetting to bring homework home and we as parents were not working with him. Fortunately there is Spanish spoken in my home so perhaps it is easier but I still will not blame the teacher. Edward Reagan parent

I have children in both programs at Pritzker and both are so happy. The fine arts classes are amazing, and rare at an elementary school these days. The music, art, drama, and dance teachers are amazing. All the homeroom teachers we've had have been dedicated and thoughtful. They take great care with the children and have balanced the different learning styles among the kids. The student population is more economically and racially diverse than most CPS schools. The Library and science lab are new. The technology lab is being reahabbed next. There is full A/C, many wonderful extracurricular activities, and many very involved parents. Every school has weak spots and Pritzker is no exception. There is friction between the parents of the two programs. Each side feels the other gets more attention. The administration can be slow to react to issues, often because it is trying not to exacerbate this friction. I've heard a lot of complaints about the Spanish teacher's ability to run a class and my child in Spanish does hate it. I wish that were different. Overall this is a great school and we are as happy as our children.

This is our third year at Pritzker and we are very happy there. Pritzker has an outstanding arts programming with amazing art and music teachers. They offer drama and dance to all ages. My child started at Pritzker in the 1st grade and we felt immediately welcomed by the community. This is also one of the truly diverse schools in the city and that is one of its assets. The front desk staff I have always found to be helpful. They know my child by name and know what classroom she is in without having to ask. Once, when my child forgot her lunch at home, the front desk staff went down to the lunchroom to make sure she took a hot lunch even though she did not have any lunch money with her. The parents have done amazing things at this school, including a recent library renovation, upgrading the auditorium sound system, purchasing an ipad cart and more. The school does 1-2 musicals every year which include all the children who want to participate. The PTO sponsors great activities, the highlight of which is Science Night which included viewing solar flares through a telescope. The teachers are great and really dedicated to the students.

Last modified Pritzker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.