Chicago, IL

Posted January 30, 2014
Fantastic school. I went there and absolutely loved it. The teachers were great, the staff was great, and most importantly the curriculum was great. This school has an ESL program, and the great thing is they have multiple teachers who speak different languages. The classrooms usually have an aid to help the students. The school also has events such as movie nights, reading nights, volleyball tournaments, and of course basketball games. As a parent of a child who now goes there I have to say this school is pretty great. The pricipal has changed, and I'm not a huge fan of him, but the assistant principal Dr. Archibald is amazing. The office staff is also great. The only downside is that when I attended the school I rarely swathe nurse in her office, at some point I wasn't even sure that we had one. Overall great school, Send your kids here!

Posted September 24, 2013
I am a former parent and am a LSC member if you all have issues with this school and the staff you may address this monthly meeting . We need to know what parents need and want . Our meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 7 pm please you feel that sethong is not right tells us. This school and staff have come a long way lets try to even make or better . LSC member

Dirksen Elementary School 1

Posted August 27, 2013
Horrible school. My kids went to this school 2009/2010. It was so bad that we had to move. Now we are in excellent school district and I see how great school look like with caring teachers and great administration.

Posted August 21, 2013
Dirksen is an excellent school. My three children attend and they love it! The teachers are really nice and caring, I would recommend this school to anyone

Dirksen Elementary School 3

Posted April 04, 2013
Dirksen did not prepare me well enough for high school. I only have a few months left of high school, and when I started I didn't know any math. When I was in 8th grade, they put a teacher in the position to be a math teacher for 7th/8th graders. That was such a bad decision. He did not prepare me at all. Otherwise, I did pretty well at Dirksen. They had a very good social science teacher when I was in 8th grade. But, at night they are a lot of kids that smoke/drink behind the mobile units. That needs to be put under control. It makes the environment worse around there. That needs to be stopped.

Posted December 06, 2012
We always appreciated the old principal, he always had time for you and he smiled a lot. We felt he cared. But he has ben gone about 2 years now. We have a new principal. The new principal seems very friendly and smiles too. Overcrowding is an issue that should be brought up with the School Board. A good school always gets overcrowded because people want their children to go there. If the principal had more funds from the school board, he could do more things for the kids. Maybe we need to help him work with the board. I myself have not seen teachers be nasty with the kids. I think they try very hard to work with our kids. Some of the teachers who left were some of the ones who were not very nice. The new ones and the remaining old ones work hard. My kids teachers always speaks to me when I have questions to ask.We are lucky to have Dirksen.

Posted December 05, 2012
Its really easy to go up to a parent and tell them that the teachers are mean and dont listen.Thats how a child gets out of studying and homework. If you really want to know more about your students teacher, then dont listen to your child, just go to the teacher. Dirksen is one of the schools with the smartest teachers I know. They listen to the students. I know these teachers. They are very smart and hope they help the students with their bright future. To believe your childs words, listen what other parents say, classmates, teachers and other staff member.Dont judge a book by its cover ;)Judge a book by thir inside ;) So to find out the school then I have important advice GO TO THE SCHOOL, TALK TO THE STAFF MEMBERS, TALK TO THE CLASSMATES AND DONT ACCUSE ANYONE OF YOUR CHILDS LEARNING. your children choose the grade they want, not the teacher. Teachers teach, help Students disobey that and do whatever they want DONT BLAME THE TEACHERS BECAUSE OF YOUR STUDENTS "WORDS" ABOUT THE SCHOOL Just try to help your child and see what the teachers go through

Dirksen Elementary School 2

Posted October 12, 2012
I am very displeased with this school. Most of the teachers, along with the principal, don't understand the children's problems and ignore the parents.Whenever they make a mistake, they don't admit to it. They treat the children thoughtlessly. The school is their personal farm; not a fellowship with the children's parents and the teachers. The principal doesn't even care about the school. There's a lot of bad things that can be written about the teachers and very little good. Thankfully, there's some good educationalists.

Posted August 29, 2012
I have been getting email with the reviews of Dirksen School. For all the negative reviews are the parents involved in communication between the student and teacher. They have excellent teachers and staff and I have worked with the with positive results. I do not believe they are removing negative posts and students have ways of making entries (misspelling errors) just to insult of demean teachers. My daughter was there 6 yrs. Would you like to have your child go to a school on the South Side? With horrible conditions and poor safety? We need to worry about our students grades! If they need help ask. If you do not ask then do not be surprised at report card results. Communication is key. Rather than blame the teacher try to have a meeting with your student,teacher and principal. Sometimes the student is not focused on the subject and at the end of the class blames the teacher for not teaching it. I have seen if first hand. Yes parents need to be involved if you choose not to you really will not know what is going on. Ask questions first and then you will have a clear picture of what happens in the class room. Sit in the class room I have.

Dirksen Elementary School 1

Posted August 27, 2012
as I subscriber I always receive email notification if someone posts a review . Few days ago I read negative reviews about this school, and today that review is not here anymore Removed by admin :-)...3rd parent in a row whos review being removed by web/admin. If parents can only share positive reviews then does it really makes sense of keeping this page and misleading parents? Gladly, my child is not a student of Dirksen. Indeed horrible school.

Dirksen Elementary School
8601 West Foster Avenue, Chicago, IL  60656
Last modified Dirksen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dirksen Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top