Posted February 03, 2014
My daughter is a 9th grader at Von in the Scholars Program. This was her second choice school because she didn't get into the large selective enrollment high school she wanted to go to. However, her rejection from the other school has been a blessing in disguise. Most of the Von teachers and all of the staff whom I have met are dedicated and caring. My daughter can be challenging at times, yet the teachers have allowed her to make mistakes and to help her find her path again. She is now active in cross-country (with one of the kindest and most motivating coaches I've ever come across); Math team and Engineering team (the engineering teacher is super smart, super dedicated to the kids, and gets things done -- one of the favorite teachers at Von and she's reason enough to go to Von because of how she's expanded engineering at the school). Other good points: The scholars parents are involved and motivated - for the entire school, not just scholars. The school is safe and clean. Most teachers are very approachable and want the students to succeed. The administration works well together. I would recommend Von to anyone looking for a great school where you're not just a number

Posted January 30, 2014
I am an alumna of Von Steuben and am glad to know--through stories of friends' children--that it is still the excellent source of education and diversity I so enjoyed as a student there.

Posted January 28, 2014
There is a place for every student at Von Steuben. The diversity is astounding, and that fact alone should make every urban parent want to take a look. My son is a sophomore, and attended a very highly regarded elementary school. I am impressed with the efforts the school makes to make every child feel welcomed and valued. There is a level of attention to each student's success and a culture of nurturing that is perfect for my son. He absolutely loves the school and his teachers, and so do I. I have an older son who is at Northside, which has been a fine school for him, but would not have worked for my younger son. The stats for a school like Northside are seductive, but there is more to life than statistics. The idea that ratings alone indicate quality is limiting. I urge all parents to give Von Steuben a closer look. Visit, and you might be surprised at what you find!

Posted January 27, 2014
Our son is in the sped program and Von Steuben due to his autism. We were hoping that he would go to another high school, but he was sent to Von Steuben which we were not familiar with. We thank whoever made the decision to send him to Von. From day one, he was treated well by the staff, teachers and other students. We feel he is safe, secure and getting a good education. The gen ed students at Von have been very nice to him and the other sped kids in spite of their sometime behavioral issues. When our son has a meltdown it is handled professionally and effectively in a very safe manner for all. The Chicago Police Officers assigned to the school are top notch and assist in so many ways and add to our comfort level. Everyone from the principal Mr. Alonso on through the teachers, aides, case manager, and all the others are very much appreciated for their professionalism and genuine concern. Mike Carlson

Posted January 27, 2014
Von Steuben is Chicago's best kept secret. While it doesn't have the prestige of a selective enrollment high school like Lane, Whitney or North Side Prep, once you enroll, the quality of service, education and dedication from teachers and staff is comparable to a selective enrollment high school. So far, our experience there has been positive.

Posted January 22, 2014
My son attends Von Steuben in the Scholars program. He is a sophomore this year, and came from a VERY small private school where many of the kids have been together since they were 3 or 4.His transition to VSMSC was seamless. I was bowled over by the whole experience. He met kids on the orientation day prior to school and has been friends ever since. The teaching staff he has been exposed to has that quality I look for - they are engaged with the students, they know their students, they appreciate the quirky characteristics of each individual student. They go above and beyond to work with a kid who is struggling, (whether the kid realizes it or not). They are open to communication with the parents. In short, they are passionate about teaching and it shows. The school itself is a beautiful, clean, lovely facility. The kids respect the teachers, staff, building, &each other. The Scholars program is a great place for my son, he loves science, math & engineering. He has been in engineering classes both years. He is challenged WITHOUT being OVERWHELMED and there is only healthy competition. The pressure level is one of encouragement and growth, not STRESS.

Posted January 22, 2014
I was a student at this school. One of the most important thing I remember is the dedication to each and every student. This was the case back then and is the case today. The teachers are individuals who genuinely care about their students and help each of them reach their fullest potential. My niece goes to Von Steuben and she couldn't be happier. There is a diverse population of both student and teachers. There is mutual respect between students and teachers. I experienced some of the great years of my life at Von. High School is where I bonded with my two life long best friends. We are now three Latinas with Higher Education Degrees and in awesome careers. I believe the foundation Von set for us was the stepping stone for a great future.

Posted September 10, 2013
I am happy my daughter joined Von Steuben High School. It is a great school. I'm excited about it and wish her the best. So far, after week 2, she is living it. Lots of homework but great experience.

Von Steuben Metro Science High School 2

Posted May 23, 2013
this school is decent when it comes academically but the people here are druggies, constantly trying to sell to my child as i was told by him. there aren't enough extracurricular activities and the teachers seem to only care for the honors students and have drifted away from the regular students.

Posted September 29, 2012
Hello I am a teacher at this school, and I have to say that I am very impressed. I have been imparting knowledge to children for 17 years now and I came across this site as I was doing some unrelated research. As a teacher in a number of school settings in various states from New York, Miami, and now Chicago you can always gauge the school's community by the smiles one sees on the students' faces. It conveys things like: I feel safe, I am happy here, I belong here. That is exactly what you see in this school. The educational leadership at this school is also top notch. Mr. Alonso the principal is a dynamic man with a clear vision of where the school needs to go and is taking it there. So proud to be a part of the team here. The teachers are very welcoming, warm and above all else knowledgeable. It is everything a public school should be for teachers and students alike.

Von Steuben Metro Science High School
5039 North Kimball Avenue, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Von Steuben Metro Science High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Von Steuben Metro Science High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top