Edison Elementary Regional Gifted Center 2

Posted December 08, 2014
When my son got into this school, it was like we'd won the lottery. Now, after 3.5 years, we've discovered that this emperor has no clothes. For the past 3 years, we've held on to a very disappointing and negative experience for him, hoping as the grades advance, things will get better. The teachers are (mostly) very difficult to get a hold of and their communication is inconsistent at best. They avoid speaking with parents, even when the student is having academic or emotional issues pertinent to what his happening at school. There is nothing "gifted" about the style of instruction, it is merely accelerated, with no time for socio-emotional development, as with many far better CPS schools. If you are considering this school, do your kid a favor and find a school that wants to work as a team for your child, not in the service of their own rankings. Class sizes are maxed out as well, so the teachers claim they have no time to differentiate for individual kids. Would have started a 504 process to force them to adjust but did not want to label my child due to lazy teachers. To be fair, there are a few outstanding teachers but not enough to make a difference.

Posted October 24, 2014
We almost shot ourselves in the foot by taking a few reviews on this site too seriously. Thankfully, we accepted our offer for a K seat. Our kindergartener is enthusiastically working on many 3rd grade core math skills while simultaneously being taught thorough 2nd grade skills to make sure there are no learning gaps. They will even be covering some 4th grade math for those who are ready. At the same time, the class as a whole is focusing on 1st grade math for those who need it. Mrs Silvers has done a mind-boggling job of catering to the needs of each child. The leveled readers/comprehension questions our child gets each week range from 4th-6th grade common core standards, which seems to be just what our child needs. Mrs. Silvers' flexibility/adaptability couldn't be better. In addition, our child is thrilled with his specials teachers (Science lab, French, Fine Arts, STEM (they are already working on computer coding), LRC and PE). The other children in the class are a delight, and our child has made diverse, stimulating friendships. Also, the school heavily emphasizes social-emotional learning with frequent dialog about the importance of kindness and empathy. Wonderful!

Posted April 08, 2012
My daughter graduated from Edison and attended the International Baccaleate program at Lincoln Park, where she graduated as one of the top two students. She attended Pomona College and is now a doctoral student in California. The complaints I've read on this website are clearly from parents and students who have no experience with other schools. Edison is a wonderful school - great teachers, challenging curriculum (isn't that the point?), attention to the needs of gifted students. In fact, the only criticism I have would be the sense of entitlement and "my child is the only one who matters" attitude of a few parents, which seems to still exist. It's a great school - if your child is fortunate enough to be accepted here, congratulations!

Posted April 08, 2012
I am a student at Edison and believe that this is one of the best experiences of my life. I did do the history fair (by myself!) and you get enough time to work if you are efficient. you also get a trip to the harold washington to help. I love Edison!

Posted January 22, 2012
In K-4, Edison is moderately hard but goes relatively easy on the homework. However in fifth grade up, homework is piled on, and because children go from class to class with different teachers almost every period, teachers don't know what other teachers are assigning. Most commonly social studies, which becomes easily the most rigorous subject in 5th-8th grade with at least two large projects and tests a week (just in social studies). in 6th and 8th it gets even worse, for children complete the History Fair, which entails fifty pages of typed motes and two poster boards filled with information in only a little less then a month, with other homework in social studies on the side. When my child was in 6th grade he was told he had 3 days to come up with 20 pages on notes on his thesis for History Fair (which the teacher didn't specify on at all), a book report, 3 test counting for up to 50 % of his grade, a presentation, and other small assignments on the side. Overall I'd say go for it, if your willing to spend long nights working on homework. Make sure our child knows and is prepared for what's coming because there is no warning.

Edison Elementary Regional Gifted Center 2

Posted September 26, 2011
My review should not be taken as seriously as people with more familiarity with the school; however, I find it troubling that this school, which has some of the city's brightest children (and likely some of the brightest parents behind it), cannot get their website updated to reflect even the current school year, let alone the current month. Additionally, they have not returned two inquisitive phone calls I've made. I am not about to call a 3rd time. Finally, when I went to an open house, the principal didn't even come out to welcome us, nor was there an explanation of why she did not. Just based on these facts alone, my assessment is that this school is coasting along on having very bright kids but could do much, much more with an energetic, bright, passionate leader who cares about details like these.

Posted August 19, 2011
I was a student at Edison from 2001-2007 Would I recommend Edison. Yes. The educational experience I received at Edison was (as much as it pains me to say this) second to none. I learned so much there, that when I went to one of Chicago's top high schools, I was considered to be "smart" by upper class men during my freshman year. The draw back is the administrative staff and their over bearing attitude towards the students. I feel that the students needed more time to grow when I attended Edison. The teachers also had insecurities that did not go unnoticed by the kids. Do not get me wrong, the kids were far from perfect but we did not need to be treated as if we were porcelain dolls. But again, you child will learn tremendously more at Edison than he or she would learn at most other schools, just come knowing that you might have to fight a bit (but it's worth it).

Posted March 08, 2011
If I could give this school six plus stars, I would. My son has been a student at Edison since kindergarten. Over the years I have been deeply impressed with this incredible school. Not only is the education that our students receive, immeasurable, but there is no standard to measure the amount of time and genuine caring expressed by both the administration and faculty on a daily basis. The superb learning opportunities are rounded out by a close and involved community of parents. The principal, Mrs. Gray, calls Edison a "family." You could choose no better education for your son or daughter than Edison. It is a complete education and a loving and challenging environment at the critical years tof a child's life. I am sure that Edison is not only one of the top schools in Illinois but in the U.S.

Posted January 13, 2011
This is a school that has some very strong positives but a few strong negatives as well. It's one of the few elementary schools that are fairly rigorous in writing, social studies and science. The social studies teacher in particular expects a lot from the kids, which is great, since it is after all a gifted school. The math curriculum, however, has problems. During my child's time there, it has changed substantially. The kids were once tracked---the ones really good at math (like my child) used to be challenged with subjects a few grades above what neighborhood schools were doing. This tracking has been dropped, replaced by what is basically a remedial math program, whose primary focus is on the lower skilled math students. The principal now feels that the top kids should look at the 5th grade topics over and over and over, rather than learning 6th or 7th grade topics. All the top kids feel they have been cheated in this way.What was once exciting for them is crushingly boring. This should not be happening in a gifted school, whose function is to challenge its students!

Posted November 10, 2010
My son spent very happy and wondrous 9 years at Edison. He is 21 years old now and working at one of the top companies in the world. Thank you, Edison for the great foundation you have given him. Mrs. Grey, Yeah!

Edison Elementary Regional Gifted Center
4929 North Sawyer Avenue, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Edison Elementary Regional Gifted Center is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edison Elementary Regional Gifted Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 113 reviews. Top