Chicago, IL

Posted November 12, 2011
My son was new to Chicago and to public schools. This small, student-focused middle school welcomed him warmly and made him feel secure. Though we walked in without an appointment to register him the day before school started, the principal took time to invite us into her office, sit us down, and talk with us about the match between the school and our son's needs. The teachers, too, welcomed him and spent time showing him around. Canter welcomes parent involvement and actively encourages volunteering. Small size, committed, skilled teachers, and strong leadership make Canter a fine school.

Canter Middle School 4

Posted January 12, 2010
I am a student at Canter I would recommend this school to any parent that has an child entering 7th or 8th grade it is in a great community (hyde park) also.

Posted February 28, 2009

Posted December 10, 2008

Posted October 01, 2008
My grand-daughter enrolled in Canter this year. We were given negative remarks throughout the air. She dreaded having to go. Now that she is there, she loves it!! I am glad she is there instead of the neighborhood school. The performance levels are different. She came from Bret Harte. There was no way she would not go to Canter seeing what she was up against. I don't think she could survive the neighborhood school honestly. She is happy - I am happy and she is doing well. Any negativity about Canter? Don't beleive the hype.'

Posted August 11, 2008
My son attended Canter this past school year, and he will be going into the 8th grade this fall. I am very pleased that he was on the honor roll, had perfect attendance (because I dropped him off every day on time, so I;ll take that award), and he also received good citizenship. He was a triple crown winner, and I am proud of him and his school. The principal makes her presence known in and out of the building. She also made herself readily available to the parents and she addresses situations swiftly. I defend this school to parents who have heard nothing but negative things about it. I am so glad that I did not listen to those negative comments, or my son would have missed out on a great experience. I'm looking forward to his 8th grade year, and he is also.

Posted May 02, 2008
My son attended Canter for 7th and 8th grade. I'm pretty disappointed that everyone is making this school out to be such a terrible school when it is a pretty descent school. Most of the comments are based on rumors. I think the school has a LOT of potential and isn't as bad as people think it is. Like most schools, this school has a few areas that needs improving, like it needs a library. But again, if people would give the school a chance, then the sate would give Canter more funding.

Canter Middle School 4

Posted March 31, 2008
Kids are cool but there needs to be a lunchroom added and an auditorium

Canter Middle School
4959 South Blackstone Avenue, Chicago, IL  60615
Last modified Canter Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canter Middle School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top