Chicago, IL
After care: No

Posted April 17, 2014
I'm sad to say this will be my son's last year at Beard. He had made a significant progress in all area's. I wish this school had room for 4th through 8th graders.

Posted December 20, 2013
Magic happens here. Beard is absolutely the best place and school. What a brilliant staff! Everyone is very willing to help, the teachers are great, the administration is receptive and the paraprofessionals are so friendly. It has a good feel as soon as you walk in.

Posted June 06, 2013
this school is amazing my son has been there for 4 years and sadly this is his last year I'm so happy that my son next year would be going to a special ed classroom at his home school but with other kids with different types of disabilities and I'm so thankful to all the teachers and therapiest for all there hard work. My son and our family would trully missed Beard school..

Beard Elementary School 2

Posted May 25, 2013
As a Beard School parent, I am saddened and angered to see the changes in the school since the new principal started in Fall 2013. Last year, my child and our family felt supported and helped. My child was challenged to do the best in school, but never judged or punished inappropriately for having special needs. This year has been very different. The new principal, perhaps due to her lack of Special Education experience, has used inappropriate methods to deal with my child s special needs. He was isolated from his peers and removed from a learning situation. His teacher was instructed not to communicate with me. I was repeatedly told that if I did not pick my child up early from school, despite the fact that I was at my job, the school would call SASS or an ambulance to remove my child. In one case, the principal actually called the Chicago Police department to handle my 7 year old. This is not conducive to learning, especially in a school dedicated solely to serving special needs children. I m very sad to see these changes in what was previously an exceptional school. I"m giving two stars because, although many faculty and staff left, many good teachers and staff remain.

Posted March 14, 2013
Our son is just nearing the end of his 3rd year at Beard. He started at the age of 3, and spent 2 yrs with Ms. Kathleen (Preschool). As another parent said, he too showed a tremendous amount of improvement after only a short time of starting school. He is now in Kindergarten (Ms Tracy's class). The improvements haven't stopped! The amount of kindness, compassion, love, and guidance is amazing at this school! We too are very lucky to have our son at Beard!

Posted May 25, 2012
The teachers and staff are wonderful. My son loves going to school and I love that he is so happy when he is there. Everyone really is on the same page with me regarding my son's goals. I am truly lucky he is there.

Posted April 09, 2009
Well i have two children that attention this school and this is best school for my sons need. teacher are good hard working may god bless them all!

Posted March 05, 2009
My son has been attending Beard for three months and we have already seen a great deal of progress. Miss Kathleen, PreK, is a tremendous teacher who keeps us informed of everything our son does in class. The therapists and teachers work together as a team and Mrs. Weekly is a wonderful principal.

Posted January 29, 2009
This school has been a blessing to our family. This is our son's 2cd year and he is doing great. The teachers love what they do and it shows!!! Thank you Beard!!

Posted May 19, 2008
This school is the best thing that ever happened for my son. All the teachers and staff love what they are doing and it shows. So many schools for autistic children are just glorified daycare. The staff at Beard believe my son can learn and empower me as a parent. I wish every child with a developmental disability could have a school this wonderful.

Beard Elementary School
6445 W Strong St, Chicago, IL  60656
Last modified Beard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3
Beard Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top