Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

It is not an exaggeration when the reviews say that this school is a blessing to families. I feel like we won some sort of magical lottery when our son was placed at Beard in Pre-k. He is Autistic and is learning and growing so much thanks to the fabulous staff at Beard. The school is wonderful. The building is filled with art and creativity. The grounds have an amazing learning garden, a new playground and running track. The children play outside and have so much fun! The teachers and paraprofessionals work hard to discover what motivates each child to learn and they have the curriculum and supports to make each child reach their potential. The parents are given many opportunities for support and participation. I also have two children in the Pre-K for all program and I wish they could stay on! I don't know how we will ever move on after third grade because this place is truly special. Placement is handled through ODLSS and we do have room available in all classes.

This school is absolutely amazing. The principal, staff, therapists and teachers are all very committed and care deeply for the students and families. They are professional and highly trained to work with children on the spectrum as wells as many other special needs. The school has a beautiful garden, a new track and an awesome playground. The building is always clean and well maintained. A small student to teacher/paraprofessional is maintained. Communication between the school and parents is excellent. I am a parent of a pre-k student. Our family has made friends with other families and we have play dates with our kids. There are a wonderful group of parents committed to being involved in the school and we have just started the Friends of Beard (www.friendsofbeard.org), a 501c3 dedicated to fundraising to support Beard School. If you have a child on the spectrum or with other special needs please consider this school. I have seen my own child as well as other students make great progress in this environment. The school supports instructional programs from Pre-K through 3rd grade and also offers a blended Pre-K program. This is one of the best schools in CPS.

I'm sad to say this will be my son's last year at Beard. He had made a significant progress in all area's. I wish this school had room for 4th through 8th graders.

Magic happens here. Beard is absolutely the best place and school. What a brilliant staff! Everyone is very willing to help, the teachers are great, the administration is receptive and the paraprofessionals are so friendly. It has a good feel as soon as you walk in.

this school is amazing my son has been there for 4 years and sadly this is his last year I'm so happy that my son next year would be going to a special ed classroom at his home school but with other kids with different types of disabilities and I'm so thankful to all the teachers and therapiest for all there hard work. My son and our family would trully missed Beard school..

As a Beard School parent, I am saddened and angered to see the changes in the school since the new principal started in Fall 2013. Last year, my child and our family felt supported and helped. My child was challenged to do the best in school, but never judged or punished inappropriately for having special needs. This year has been very different. The new principal, perhaps due to her lack of Special Education experience, has used inappropriate methods to deal with my child s special needs. He was isolated from his peers and removed from a learning situation. His teacher was instructed not to communicate with me. I was repeatedly told that if I did not pick my child up early from school, despite the fact that I was at my job, the school would call SASS or an ambulance to remove my child. In one case, the principal actually called the Chicago Police department to handle my 7 year old. This is not conducive to learning, especially in a school dedicated solely to serving special needs children. I m very sad to see these changes in what was previously an exceptional school. I"m giving two stars because, although many faculty and staff left, many good teachers and staff remain.

Our son is just nearing the end of his 3rd year at Beard. He started at the age of 3, and spent 2 yrs with Ms. Kathleen (Preschool). As another parent said, he too showed a tremendous amount of improvement after only a short time of starting school. He is now in Kindergarten (Ms Tracy's class). The improvements haven't stopped! The amount of kindness, compassion, love, and guidance is amazing at this school! We too are very lucky to have our son at Beard!

The teachers and staff are wonderful. My son loves going to school and I love that he is so happy when he is there. Everyone really is on the same page with me regarding my son's goals. I am truly lucky he is there.

Well i have two children that attention this school and this is best school for my sons need. teacher are good hard working may god bless them all!

My son has been attending Beard for three months and we have already seen a great deal of progress. Miss Kathleen, PreK, is a tremendous teacher who keeps us informed of everything our son does in class. The therapists and teachers work together as a team and Mrs. Weekly is a wonderful principal.

Last modified Beard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3