Chicago High School For Agricult Sciences

Public | 9-12 | 579 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 3, 2014

Graduated in 2009 and CHSAS gave me scholarships and pushed me to apply and then later receive scholarships for college. Fortunately, I continued my higher education with agriculture at Illinois State University. I would say CHSAS is for the MOTIVATED "average student" and for the ABOVE average student. Every year CHSAS has more and more seniors getting accepted to Ivy League schools with scholarships....overall the school is safe, challenging , and EXTREMELY hands on.

Posted March 29, 2014

I am currently a senior at CHSAS. The school in these past 4 years has been good. Before getting accepted to CHSAS, I had either the option of going to lane tech or bogan. I was waiting to see if I had another other accepting high schools, and that's when CHSAS had accepted me. There is a variety of sports now. I have participated in soccer, football, and volleyball. The sports are going up in competition, especially the volleyball teams. Academic wise, the classes are well. They leave homework almost every night, but not to the point where you are very stressed out. I am ready to graduate from CHSAS and start a new chapter in my life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 9, 2013

My daughter graduated from here, June 2013. She had a good time here. The school is for average students. A few honors and A.P classes are offered. Not too many sports or clubs. There aren't any fighting allowed nor gangs so the school is pretty safe. CHSAS is very diverse and small, only 500 students cap. My daughter is now a freshman at Western Illinois University and she is doing really well. Overall, the school fit her academic needs. If youhave a above average/gifted child, this isn't the school for them but if your child is average learner and you are looking fora diverse and safe school, then consider Ag Sciences.

Posted April 19, 2013

This school need to expand because overpopulation of students and these students need to stop being so racist to one another, they need security outside after school to crack down the trouble teens plus this school need more activities and more sports to do after school.

Posted November 9, 2011

I was a student at CHSAS. The freshman teachers are great and help make the transition from 8th to 9th grade smooth. After that, students are on their own but are still babied by some teacher from time to time. Junior and senior year I still had some classes that wanted me to color for homework. I came to the school for the diversity mainly, and I was pleased that all the different ethnicities got along so well. The neighborhood is not a great place for minorities sometimes, but the school doesn't have any race related issues. It's hard for the small student body to be cliqueish, but it does happen. Everyone is relatively freindly, though. When I hear students who get accepted to REAL college prep schools (the school says it's a college prep, but the cirriculum is very easy to many) reject them and come CHSAS, I go crazy. The school is a great option for those who really don't have anywhere else to go, as I did, but if you are offered the opportunity to go to a much better school, take it. And the FFA is an absolutely wonderful organization, but they shove it down the students' throats at times. CHSAS is a great school, but needs to improve on some things to be better.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 2, 2011

I am a parent of a freshman and junior at Ag High and I have to say that I am pleased with the school. The school is safe, nuturing, and the teachers are great! My daughter made the honor roll and my son is doing well. The academics at this school is extremely challenging. My kids recieve a good amount of homework each night and they tell me that they are challenged in the classrooms as well. The school is also very diverse with; African Americans, Cacausians and Latino children in attendance. They all get along and there isn't any tension amongst the students. My daughter was accepted to Whitney Young H.S and we turned them down after visiting Ag. Why travel so far to Young when Ag is equally just as good and has the sports, activities and excellent academics. In addition, I love how small the school is, only 530 students, so your child will never lost or not be noticed by teachers. Lastly, Ag H.S does a excellent job with locating college scholarships for their graduates and providing a yearly college fair at the school. I am glad my kids were accepted to Ag High School.

Posted October 10, 2009

I am the parent of a CHSAS student. I chose this school for my child based on good ratings in the past. Except for a handful of teachers, I found the teacher quality to be average. There are extracurricular activities offered. In my opinion, parent involvement is not encouraged--except on the literature handed out at beginning of year. I got the feeling that they really did not want to hear from us. Until earlier this year, there was no good good way for parents to stay informed about how their child was doing before report card day. The safety is pretty good. The discipline is okay, though at times overtly unfair. In the past year, the school has come under a new leadership. In my opinion, the school is on the skids, very cliqueish. I would urge parents to get a lot of recent info before deciding on this school.

Posted September 29, 2008

Better than private schools! Hands on learning personal attention towards students, and spactacular special services for children with special needs!

Posted December 17, 2004

I attended CHSAS from 1994-1998 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I was a bit reluctant about attending this school at first due the the lack of sports, but what CHSAS lacked in sports it made up for in academics, scholarship opportunities, and overall charm. Thanks to my education at CHSAS I received a full scholarship to a four year university and I am now gainfully employed by the United States Government. I take great pride in being a Cyclone and hope this review will help influence parents and chidren alike to become a part of the Cyclone family.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 30, 2004

This is an excellent school. The teachers inspired my child to acheive excellence, and she did. She received a rounded and balanced high school experience, that exceeded my expectations in every aspect.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 9, 2004

I have a sophmore student at CHSAH; we both love the school. My daugher came from a multicultural enviroment and this high school was perfect for her. I love the hands on and the animals since she loves animals too. The academic program is that of a private high school; I know because I sent my son to a private high school in Chicago. It is a safe place for your children

Posted February 23, 2004

My daughter is a freshman at CHAS. I love their focus on academics as opposed to athletics. They offer great programs in math & science. They also grade on a higher scale than other CPS schools. I love the teachers dedication and salute Ms. Hamilton for keeping CHAS safe & running smoothly!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Non-low income62%
Students with disabilities (IEP)30%
Students without disabilities58%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Asian 1% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options